Re-drafting 2017 Top 5

AZ54

Everyone wants to make it Trubisky and Watson but the true player barometer is Solomon Thomas! I parallel this with the Cutler trade when the Bears were criticized for over paying. Who was the player taken with the Bears first round pick? Wasn't it Robert Ayer ?What's he doing?

Definitely need to wait 3 years to see how these picks work out. Hard to imagine picking a QB, who tore his ACL for a 2nd time, with the #1 pick after knowing he tore his ACL for a 2nd time. That seems silly. Also, Mahomes and his one game in Week 17 is enough to propel him to #4?

Definitely need to wait 3 years to see how these picks work out. Hard to imagine picking a QB, who tore his ACL for a 2nd time, with the #1 pick after knowing he tore his ACL for a 2nd time. That seems silly. Also, Mahomes and his one game in Week 17 is enough to propel him to #4?

Given how poorly Jared Goff played in his first outing I'd say one good week in the NFL from Mahomes would be enough to move him to #4 overall. We also get to include the season of evaluation of what was then the elite 2018 QB class. Plenty of questions surround Darnold now and Josh Allen looks more like a project than an elite QB.

Moving Watson to #1 overall is a bit trickier in part because so many of the good things he did were based on his running game, yet he still threw 8 INTs in 7 games. That's not horrible by any measure for a rookie but you have to ask yourself which way does he go now if he is to become more of a pocket passer? I think for Cleveland he was still the perfect QB in 2017 because of his leadership and experience. There's no doubt for me that each of Trubisky, Watson, and Mahomes look very good compared to the QBs in this draft. Would you take Mahomes' arm strength over Mayfield's? Both were similar on the college field running their respective spread offenses.

We need 3 years to evaluate each more completely but it's ok to look back at the end of their first and second seasons and compare.

Given how poorly Jared Goff played in his first outing I'd say one good week in the NFL from Mahomes would be enough to move him to #4 overall. We also get to include the season of evaluation of what was then the elite 2018 QB class. Plenty of questions surround Darnold now and Josh Allen looks more like a project than an elite QB.

Moving Watson to #1 overall is a bit trickier in part because so many of the good things he did were based on his running game, yet he still threw 8 INTs in 7 games. That's not horrible by any measure for a rookie but you have to ask yourself which way does he go now if he is to become more of a pocket passer? I think for Cleveland he was still the perfect QB in 2017 because of his leadership and experience. There's no doubt for me that each of Trubisky, Watson, and Mahomes look very good compared to the QBs in this draft. Would you take Mahomes' arm strength over Mayfield's? Both were similar on the college field running their respective spread offenses.

We need 3 years to evaluate each more completely but it's ok to look back at the end of their first and second seasons and compare.

I'm not sold on Mahomes after one game in Week 17, but I like him more than Kizer. I think all 3 first rounders will all end up being starters which makes the Browns look even worse for passing on Wentz last year as well.