Tremaine Edmunds

AZ54

I'm not sure where to fit this guy in on a draft board but he's starting to take the same path Haason Reddick did last year with a big rise up draft boards once the process started. Reddick was just 6'1" tall whereas Edmunds is listed at 6'5". That could put Edmunds in play for us at OLB. Like Leonard Floyd he was most often lined up as a LB off the line so in two games and some highlights I didn't see much film of him coming off the edge. When he does he shows some of the skills you want to see. I think he'll need to be stronger in his upper body to play there full time.

Watching him play I think he could easily slot into the ILB role for us. If Fangio thinks he can grow into the OLB role, as Floyd is doing, Edmunds will definitely give him options. He can have him at OLB when we're in a 5-man front and then move him back to ILB with Trevathan when we go to a 4-man front, keeping Floyd at DE. Trevathan and Edmunds at ILB, especially in coverage would be a very good combination on 3rd and long but you could also walk Edmunds up to line and blitz. When Fangio rushes 3 and drops 8 in coverage, as he likes to do on 3rd and very long, he'll have Floyd, Trevathan, and Edmunds as the first line of coverage. If you consider defending a hurry up offense like the Packers where we are basically in nickel the entire game there's much more flexibility to scheme.

While he's learning the OLB role Edmunds could also take much of the 5-man front coverage responsibility leaving Floyd more often to rush the passer. Basically he'd follow the development path Floyd took in his rookie year.

I'm not yet comfortable with him being the 8th pick in the draft but at least one analyst is. Daniel Jeremiah has him as the #3 overall prospect, ahead of Chubb. Typically he's listed in the top 15-20 overall. Some sites don't even have him in the first round but that will change soon.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000090...-2018-nfl-draft

http://draftbreakdown.com/2017/10/16/trema...s-clemson-2017/

I'm not sure where to fit this guy in on a draft board but he's starting to take the same path Haason Reddick did last year with a big rise up draft boards once the process started. Reddick was just 6'1" tall whereas Edmunds is listed at 6'5". That could put Edmunds in play for us at OLB. Like Leonard Floyd he was most often lined up as a LB off the line so in two games and some highlights I didn't see much film of him coming off the edge. When he does he shows some of the skills you want to see. I think he'll need to be stronger in his upper body to play there full time.

Watching him play I think he could easily slot into the ILB role for us. If Fangio thinks he can grow into the OLB role, as Floyd is doing, Edmunds will definitely give him options. He can have him at OLB when we're in a 5-man front and then move him back to ILB with Trevathan when we go to a 4-man front, keeping Floyd at DE. Trevathan and Edmunds at ILB, especially in coverage would be a very good combination on 3rd and long but you could also walk Edmunds up to line and blitz. When Fangio rushes 3 and drops 8 in coverage, as he likes to do on 3rd and very long, he'll have Floyd, Trevathan, and Edmunds as the first line of coverage. If you consider defending a hurry up offense like the Packers where we are basically in nickel the entire game there's much more flexibility to scheme.

While he's learning the OLB role Edmunds could also take much of the 5-man front coverage responsibility leaving Floyd more often to rush the passer. Basically he'd follow the development path Floyd took in his rookie year.

I'm not yet comfortable with him being the 8th pick in the draft but at least one analyst is. Daniel Jeremiah has him as the #3 overall prospect, ahead of Chubb. Typically he's listed in the top 15-20 overall. Some sites don't even have him in the first round but that will change soon.

He is getting a lot of press and is listed high on many sites. I think we would be better grabbing Davenport if available than Edmunds.

He will be in play come April. If he blows up the combine, he could surpass Chubb. I like the flexibility he has also, which would allow Fangio more disguises and keep offenses guessing. I was hoping he would remain unknown because he was in play as a RD 2 steal.

He will be in play come April. If he blows up the combine, he could surpass Chubb. I like the flexibility he has also, which would allow Fangio more disguises and keep offenses guessing. I was hoping he would remain unknown because he was in play as a RD 2 steal.

It's hard to verify but it seems he's just 20 years old, maybe 21. If that's correct he's should have a lot of potential to improve.

The more I research the draft, the more I hate the idea of Edmunds in the first round. There are far too many guys with great potential to be had later.

Lorenzo Carter

Dorance Armstrong

Uchenna Nwosu

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo

Olasunkanmi Adeniyi (I purposely put those three names in a row)

Chad Thomas

Josh Sweat

There are just too many upside OLBs out there to take one in the first. Especially when considering several other positions of need are fairly shallow.

The more I research the draft, the more I hate the idea of Edmunds in the first round. There are far too many guys with great potential to be had later.

Lorenzo Carter

Dorance Armstrong

Uchenna Nwosu

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo

Olasunkanmi Adeniyi (I purposely put those three names in a row)

Chad Thomas

Josh Sweat

There are just too many upside OLBs out there to take one in the first. Especially when considering several other positions of need are fairly shallow.

It's easy to say the same about OTs in this draft yet you just grabbed one in the first in your mock.

Connor Williams, Orlando Brown, McGlinchey, Kolton Miller, Chukwuma Okorafor, Martinas Rankin, Jamarco Jones. Tyrell Crosby, Brandon Parker, Alex Cappa, and we can toss in Desmond Harrison too.

We don't know yet if Edmunds is worth a top 10 pick but he needs to be on our radar. We don't know that about the OTs either even though I've been on board with taking Connor Wiliams at #8. Fortunately WR is also a position missing elite talent but with good depth in this draft. Everything is aligned so that we should be able to get help across the board if we can trade back a bit as you proposed.

I am wondering though if the Bears aren't content with their OTs as they stated. The more I read about the RPOs and watching the Eagles execute them I think QNelson has to be on our radar for our first pick. If Biggs is right and running inside is that important we could benefit from an upgrade especially with Long's offseason surgeries. Nelson is so good LBs will know they have to get into their run gaps quickly, likewise for Long if he gets healthy.

Content with the OTs doesn't mean they wouldn't like an upgrade. I'm not an OC/DC expert but it seems to me this new offense will give more things for edge rushers to think about before they commit to getting to the QB. They'll no doubt use some read-option plays plus we should start seeing a lot more screen plays. This could mean that OT becomes a target on the 3rd day. Regardless, I'd still like someone more nimble than Massie on the right side for those occasional deep routes Nagy said he likes to call.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0206-story.html

It's easy to say the same about OTs in this draft yet you just grabbed one in the first in your mock.

Connor Williams, Orlando Brown, McGlinchey, Kolton Miller, Chukwuma Okorafor, Martinas Rankin, Jamarco Jones. Tyrell Crosby, Brandon Parker, Alex Cappa, and we can toss in Desmond Harrison too.

We don't know yet if Edmunds is worth a top 10 pick but he needs to be on our radar. We don't know that about the OTs either even though I've been on board with taking Connor Wiliams at #8. Fortunately WR is also a position missing elite talent but with good depth in this draft. Everything is aligned so that we should be able to get help across the board if we can trade back a bit as you proposed.

I am wondering though if the Bears aren't content with their OTs as they stated. The more I read about the RPOs and watching the Eagles execute them I think QNelson has to be on our radar for our first pick. If Biggs is right and running inside is that important we could benefit from an upgrade especially with Long's offseason surgeries. Nelson is so good LBs will know they have to get into their run gaps quickly, likewise for Long if he gets healthy.

Content with the OTs doesn't mean they wouldn't like an upgrade. I'm not an OC/DC expert but it seems to me this new offense will give more things for edge rushers to think about before they commit to getting to the QB. They'll no doubt use some read-option plays plus we should start seeing a lot more screen plays. This could mean that OT becomes a target on the 3rd day. Regardless, I'd still like someone more nimble than Massie on the right side for those occasional deep routes Nagy said he likes to call.

I would be a fan of Nelson in the first trade back in the 2nd and then draft K Miller( nasty disposition) then Ogbonnia Okoronkwo in the third and Deontry Burnett- Averett/CB in the fourth.

I don't like the potential of some of those OTs nearly as much as some of the OLBs. That's probably the main difference. I think some of those crazy athletes can do well in the NFL, and can be had in mid rounds.

The secondary difference for me is that I'm more of the opinion that the Tackle positions are far more important to the future success of the team, particularly given the new offensive direction this team should be taking, than an OLB. The Bears' future, and the front office's future, is directly tied to Trubisky, and protecting him is paramount. There is no greater focus for this team's future. Secondary to that is ensuring he has the appropriate weapons to exploit and advance his development.

I don't like the potential of some of those OTs nearly as much as some of the OLBs. That's probably the main difference. I think some of those crazy athletes can do well in the NFL, and can be had in mid rounds.

The secondary difference for me is that I'm more of the opinion that the Tackle positions are far more important to the future success of the team, particularly given the new offensive direction this team should be taking, than an OLB. The Bears' future, and the front office's future, is directly tied to Trubisky, and protecting him is paramount. There is no greater focus for this team's future. Secondary to that is ensuring he has the appropriate weapons to exploit and advance his development.

So what is your opinion of HH and his opinion that both existing OTs will excel in his scheme?

So what is your opinion of HH and his opinion that both existing OTs will excel in his scheme?

It’s the same as Lovie’s “BLANK is our quarterback.” It’s a coach sticking up for his guys publically. It’s not like he can come out and say “Hey, Leno is average at best and probably overpaid. Massie is a bum and we need to replace him with something better, like a large tackling dummy.”

It’s the same as Lovie’s “BLANK is out quarterback.” It’s a coach sticking up for his guys publically. It’s not like he can come out and say “Hey, Leno is average at best and probably overpaid. Massie is a bum and we need to replace him with something better, like a large tackling dummy.”

Excellent point. If HH didn't publicly back them he would be crucified

It’s the same as Lovie’s “BLANK is our quarterback.” It’s a coach sticking up for his guys publically. It’s not like he can come out and say “Hey, Leno is average at best and probably overpaid. Massie is a bum and we need to replace him with something better, like a large tackling dummy.”

OR, maybe he truly believes that. Watched film? I Leno is average and massie blows, but that is my opinion, not the line coach.

• 4 weeks later...