The Alex Smith trade sucks for Chicago

jason

Long story short, that move means Cousins is going to a QB-starved team. Until the trade, it was uncertain what would happen. They could still have tagged him, or they could have worked out a deal. But now Alex Smith is the QB in DC, and Cousins is going to be a "franchise" QB available in free agency. That takes at least one QB needy team out of trade possibilities.

Long story short, that move means Cousins is going to a QB-starved team. Until the trade, it was uncertain what would happen. They could still have tagged him, or they could have worked out a deal. But now Alex Smith is the QB in DC, and Cousins is going to be a "franchise" QB available in free agency. That takes at least one QB needy team out of trade possibilities.

I'm guessing a lot of ppl saw something like this happening. Everyone knew that cousin's was leaving. No way they were going to tag him for a 3rd time. And I think most figured Smith was going to be traded. I didn't think Smith would go to wash especially with Smith getting the contract extension at the figures that are being reported

I think Washington is still in play. KC traded up while they had Smith, why can't Wash? Also, they are getting Smith for 10mil less than they would Cousins. Cousins being 5 years younger should be the franchise guy they are looking for, but they see it differently. They will probably draft a QB and use Smith as a rental.

I think Washington is still in play. KC traded up while they had Smith, why can't Wash? Also, they are getting Smith for 10mil less than they would Cousins. Cousins being 5 years younger should be the franchise guy they are looking for, but they see it differently. They will probably draft a QB and use Smith as a rental.

No way is Washington moving up. Schefter reported last night that Smith and Wash agreed to a 4 yr extension worth $94M with $71M of it guaranteed. Of course this all could still fall apart as nothing can be completed officially until the new league yr starts March 14

No way is Washington moving up. Schefter reported last night that Smith and Wash agreed to a 4 yr extension worth $94M with $71M of it guaranteed. Of course this all could still fall apart as nothing can be completed officially until the new league yr starts March 14

Yikes! That changes things. Thanks, didn't have that info...

Yikes! That changes things. Thanks, didn't have that info...

No problem. I about tossed my cookies when I saw that deal come through on Twitter. I love Alex Smith and I'd totally give him a 4 yr deal but not with $71M gtd. If father time starts to catch up with him they are going to wish they just bucked up given cousins what he wanted

I think only slightly. There are still a number of teams with QB need that might be willing to trade with us...

Arizona

Cleveland

Denver

NYJets

Buffalo

Cincy

It's maybe one team less,, one player less. No big deal

People forget Minnesota as a dark horse for Cousins. They are probably a decent QB away from being really, really good.

Yeah that's true considering all there QBs are free agents. I've thought about Jacksonville as well but bortles has a big gtd yr for next yr. I'm thinking they will let that ride 1 last yr