How do we make our Oline our top strength?

Stinger226

Our OLine was one of our strong groups last year, injuries prevented it from being achieving top credits.

What we have: Leno is rated by most accounts as average for a LT. Considering he has a fair contract value it makes him doable going forward.

IMO: A upgrade would be nice but I think the Bears live with him a few more years and draft a replacement somewhere in the draft.

Sitton is a quality OG top rated by most. He is 31 turning 32 next year and has missed 6 games in the last 2 years.

IMO: He will get 8 mil this year which I think could come into play with a player starting the downside of his play. I think the possilbity exists

he could be replaced by us drafting Q. Nelson to add youth, and the top rated OL in the draft if it plays out that way.

Whitehair: After a very good first year he slipped last year. Hard to say what affected this but playing multiply positions couldn't have helped.

IMO: I think with HH as our new OLine guru, he decides to leave him at OC and if we upgrade it will be at OG. Possible we draft a OC late in the

draft for a backup.

Long: Quality player that has multiple injuries to now worry about going forward.

IMO: I think they go with Long with the hope he is at least close to the quality we have seen over the last few years.

We have backups in Kush and Morgan that are 28 and 25 respectfully so we have a potential starter sitting behind Long if he's injury riddled again.

Massie: For two years in a row he has started out shitty and played well at the end of the year. I have read that HH thinks both OTs can excel in his sceme.

IMO: I think they easily draft a OT to replace him this year but with a fair contract for this year, they may draft a replacement later and the draft and fly with him one more year.

Conclusion: It is hard to access what happens with this group with HH taking over but I think we at least upgrade one position and possibly 2.

There is very little in FAgency, so I think we could go with what we got and upgrade in the draft.

There are 10 draftable OTs that could possibly start the first year in the league.

C. Williams

M. McGlitchey

O. Brown

M. Rankin

T. Crosby

B. Oneil

K. Miller

B. Parker

J. Jones

C Okaflor

I think with a young Leno, Whitehair, 28 year old Long, that we will upgrade one position in the draft and let it play out.

If Q. Nelson is there, we take him and solidify that position for the next 10 years. Sitton would have to be replaced next year anyways so we just decide to grab by one scouts opinion the best OL prospect to come out in the last 5 years.

If Nelson is gone, I think we draft a edge rusher with the first pick and grab a OT in the second or third round. We currently dont have a 3rd round pick but totally believe that Pace with trade back in 1st or 2nd and grab an extra pick or two.

If we do draft Nelson, that will help Leno at the LT spot with a potenial 10 year all pro player playing next to him.

If we pass on Nelson and grab a OT, we get a starter to upgrade Massie.

So Leno(stays at least one more year) with the hope makes HH makes him a top 15 type of LT.

Sitton leaves or one more year and grooms Morgan to replace him.

Whitehair will achieve all pro status under HH

Long is the big question mark, if we draft Nelson, Morgan will be groomed to replace Long in the next few years.

Massie could be successful under HH, and we stay pat at that position or draft his replacement in the 2nd or 3rd round.

It depends on how the draft plays out but I would draft this way.

1. Q. Nelson

2. Trade back and get a 3rd round pick.

2. edge rusher- Leighton Vander Ersch 141 Ts -4 sacks-4PBUs-3 INTs

3. Brandon Parker/OT

4a. Deontry Burnett/Wr 6' 205 - 4.45 speed

4b. Holton Hill /CB 6-3 206

I think we add 2 WRs in free agency. and resign Merideth and Wright, we still have White under contract. Marquis Lee and Paul Richardson

I think we resign Fuller and Callahan, the add another CB. Nickell Roby-Coleman.

I think we resign Houston and Jones and add Kony Early( try to revive his career)

I think we resign Compton and upgrade the OL with the draft.

Personally I think Nelson is the best non QB in this draft so I agree with taking him at #8. But I've got a gut feeling he's going before us. I like your idea but I can't wait until the 4th round to get a wr

I agree. Give me the best offensive lineman in the draft. We will find a place to play him.

Peace :dabears

You know I'm on board with this one. I'd rather do the following:

1. Trade back and pick up best available LT. He probably starts at RT.

2. Draft another OT somewhere in the mid-rounds. I like Brandon Parker as well.

Another thing to consider is moving Whitehair out to RT and putting Grasu in at Center. Whitehair wasn't amazing in 2017. He's originally a tackle. That's utilizing the pieces on hand to produce a result better than the 2017 line.

Sitton is a quality OG top rated by most. He is 31 turning 32 next year and has missed 6 games in the last 2 years. IMO: He will get 8 mil this year which I think could come into play with a player starting the downside of his play. I think the possilbity exists he could be replaced by us drafting Q. Nelson to add youth, and the top rated OL in the draft if it plays out that way.

i think dumping sitton would be a mistake. he can literally play another 3-4 years at a high level. he is a much needed QUALITY pro-bowl veteran on the interior of our line who has missed only 3 games per season in his tenure in chicago. i don't believe any injuries were joint injuries which is very important. in 2016 he had a rib injury and 2017 an ankle injury.

long has had a lot more serious injuries than sitton and yet i don't want to see him cut either.

long and sitton are cornerstone players on the inside of our OL. to start over seems silly to me. we can keep/draft lower round guards for future replacement. if whitehair is not the player they are looking for at tackle he projects to fill in as a replacement quality starter at guard/center. we have an abundance of guards to choose from in our future either on this squad or drafted over the next 3 years.

we can't throw a top ten pick (or first round pick for that matter) at another guard. our salary cap in the future just will not support it and we would lose either long or the newly drafted high pick guard within the next 2-4 years.

we need to focus on the tackle positions in the first or possibly 2nd round. these are our weakness's in the future.

For some reason Chicago sports fans fall deeply in love with players even in their declining years. Recently this franchise moved on from a HOF linebacker and questionably two other potential HOF players and both Long and Sitton don't qualify as that type of player. Whitehair should play OG next year and they should draft Nelson as the other OG and draft a OC. In FA look for a RT to compete with Massie and open the line up to comp meaning Long and Sitton have to compete for their jobs as well as Whitehair and Grasu should be competing for a roster spot.

For some reason Chicago sports fans fall deeply in love with players even in their declining years. Recently this franchise moved on from a HOF linebacker and questionably two other potential HOF players and both Long and Sitton don't qualify as that type of player. Whitehair should play OG next year and they should draft Nelson as the other OG and draft a OC. In FA look for a RT to compete with Massie and open the line up to comp meaning Long and Sitton have to compete for their jobs as well as Whitehair and Grasu should be competing for a roster spot.

It's hard to say long is in declining yrs. Even with him being completely banged up the past couple yrs he's still performed pretty good. Sitton might be declining. He's in his 30s now

i think dumping sitton would be a mistake. he can literally play another 3-4 years at a high level. he is a much needed QUALITY pro-bowl veteran on the interior of our line who has missed only 3 games per season in his tenure in chicago. i don't believe any injuries were joint injuries which is very important. in 2016 he had a rib injury and 2017 an ankle injury.

long has had a lot more serious injuries than sitton and yet i don't want to see him cut either.

long and sitton are cornerstone players on the inside of our OL. to start over seems silly to me. we can keep/draft lower round guards for future replacement. if whitehair is not the player they are looking for at tackle he projects to fill in as a replacement quality starter at guard/center. we have an abundance of guards to choose from in our future either on this squad or drafted over the next 3 years.

we can't throw a top ten pick (or first round pick for that matter) at another guard. our salary cap in the future just will not support it and we would lose either long or the newly drafted high pick guard within the next 2-4 years.

we need to focus on the tackle positions in the first or possibly 2nd round. these are our weakness's in the future.

We have had a round robin at the guard spots the last two years. Long and Sitton both have missed many games. I think at least fixing one spot for 10 years at a pro bowl level leaves us only Long to have questions with his injuries. Whitehair should be our center, and draft a OT in later rounds to compete with Massie and at least take his spot in another year. Massie was rated the 14th ranked RT last year by one of the agencies.Leno is also a middle rated OT. I would like both replaced but I think the Bears like them better than we do. I personally would take Q. Nelson in the first and a OT in the second and fix our OL for the next 5 years. The same schedule that our QB with be on.

We have had a round robin at the guard spots the last two years. Long and Sitton both have missed many games. I think at least fixing one spot for 10 years at a pro bowl level leaves us only Long to have questions with his injuries. Whitehair should be our center, and draft a OT in later rounds to compete with Massie and at least take his spot in another year. Massie was rated the 14th ranked RT last year by one of the agencies.Leno is also a middle rated OT. I would like both replaced but I think the Bears like them better than we do. I personally would take Q. Nelson in the first and a OT in the second and fix our OL for the next 5 years. The same schedule that our QB with be on.

I agree with your overall idea except taking a tackle in the 2nd after taking Nelson in the 1st. This team has so many holes on it and by doing that your essentially ignoring all the other positions until at least the 4th rd. I've been on record that if Nelson is there you take him. I think he's an all pro almost from the start so although guard may not be an obvious need you just can't ignore someone this good and waiting til next yr or something and praying you can find someone this good then

I agree with your overall idea except taking a tackle in the 2nd after taking Nelson in the 1st. This team has so many holes on it and by doing that your essentially ignoring all the other positions until at least the 4th rd. I've been on record that if Nelson is there you take him. I think he's an all pro almost from the start so although guard may not be an obvious need you just can't ignore someone this good and waiting til next yr or something and praying you can find someone this good then

Can Q. Nelson play right tackle?

Peace :dabears

All of the starters, including Kush are signed to be back next season. I don't see them cutting decent players to save cap while creating a hole/need to be filled. I love the thought of adding Nelson and take him or McGlinchey in many of my mocks, but the Bears will more than likely be drafting a pass rusher or CB in the first. I am a o line guy and still want them building that squad but with Sitton/Massie slated back, the Bears will fill those needs later with potential IMO.

Trade down, gain 3rd.

1. Edmunds/Davenport OLB

2. Michael Gallup/Equig St Brown WR

3. Tyrell Crosby RT

4. Brandon Parker LT

4. Holten Hill CB

All of the starters, including Kush are signed to be back next season. I don't see them cutting decent players to save cap while creating a hole/need to be filled. I love the thought of adding Nelson and take him or McGlinchey in many of my mocks, but the Bears will more than likely be drafting a pass rusher or CB in the first. I am a o line guy and still want them building that squad but with Sitton/Massie slated back, the Bears will fill those needs later with potential IMO.

Trade down, gain 3rd.

1. Edmunds/Davenport OLB

2. Michael Gallup/Equig St Brown WR

3. Tyrell Crosby RT

4. Brandon Parker LT

4. Holten Hill CB

That would be a very good draft. I think there are WRs later in the draft that would help quite a bit. Copper Kupp was a 3rd round pick last year. I think value will come into play in the first round. Fritz, Chubb, Nelson are the top of the draft after the QBs and Barkely. Edmunds and Davenport are ascending players, but top 8 might be a reach at this point. Although, I would be okay with either of them but not sure things.

That would be a very good draft. I think there are WRs later in the draft that would help quite a bit. Copper Kupp was a 3rd round pick last year. I think value will come into play in the first round. Fritz, Chubb, Nelson are the top of the draft after the QBs and Barkely. Edmunds and Davenport are ascending players, but top 8 might be a reach at this point. Although, I would be okay with either of them but not sure things.

This is one reason I want Nelson.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/02/t...quenton-nelson/

No doubt the guy is a beast among men. If Pace fills the other OLB position and CBs, then it is open game. Right now, we are basically down to Leonard Floyd at OLB. We still have McPhee and Young under contract, but it is hard to see them pay both another year from their past production. Cornerback is another story, I feel the Bears can re-sign Fuller and Amukamara if they want. It is not a shoe in, so they may be forced to consider a Josh Jackson or Ward in the first.

You know I'm on board with this one. I'd rather do the following:

1. Trade back and pick up best available LT. He probably starts at RT.

2. Draft another OT somewhere in the mid-rounds. I like Brandon Parker as well.

Another thing to consider is moving Whitehair out to RT and putting Grasu in at Center. Whitehair wasn't amazing in 2017. He's originally a tackle. That's utilizing the pieces on hand to produce a result better than the 2017 line.

Your one of the smartest guys on this blog, but to suggest Grasu start is making me rethink that position. What I want is for us to fix the OLine for years to come for protecting MT and aiding Howard in being a top 5 RB year in and year out. To do that I think we need to upgrade a couple of positions. Of course Sitton would be competent for another year so we dont need Nelson but many scouts rate him as a top OL coming out in the last 5 years and it fixes that spot for 8 years with an all pro type. Also upgrading RT and a prospect to upgrade Leno in the future would work for me too. There are some good FA OCs out there so I would have no problem grabbing one and moving Whitehair to LG for good and then draft a stud OT to play RT and then slide to LT in the future. The biggest question lingering is how much HH will do to improve this line inside out or by adding. I will respect what ever he decides to do but totally want us to fix the Oline for many years not this one year.

Your one of the smartest guys on this blog, but to suggest Grasu start is making me rethink that position. What I want is for us to fix the OLine for years to come for protecting MT and aiding Howard in being a top 5 RB year in and year out. To do that I think we need to upgrade a couple of positions. Of course Sitton would be competent for another year so we dont need Nelson but many scouts rate him as a top OL coming out in the last 5 years and it fixes that spot for 8 years with an all pro type. Also upgrading RT and a prospect to upgrade Leno in the future would work for me too. There are some good FA OCs out there so I would have no problem grabbing one and moving Whitehair to LG for good and then draft a stud OT to play RT and then slide to LT in the future. The biggest question lingering is how much HH will do to improve this line inside out or by adding. I will respect what ever he decides to do but totally want us to fix the Oline for many years not this one year.

I never said it's an ideal scenario, but it might be the best scenario. It also has the added benefit of maximizing young players, drafted players on the roster. It comes down to these lines:

Leno-Sitton-Grasu-Long-Whitehair

Leno-Sitton-Whitehair-Long-Massie

I like the first option better for multiple reasons. The foremost reasons are that bad tackles get QBs killed. They also force an offense to pull in extra help from TEs, FBs, and RBs. Furthermore, a weakness at Center can be masked much more easily than a weakness at Tackle. Provided Sitton and Long are healthy, there can be creative blocking schemes to minimize Grasu's lack of strength.

Ideally, however, I'd like to see 1-2 OLinemen drafted, preferably at tackle. I'd like Nelson at OG, but I think moving on from either Sitton or Long right now is a mistake. My realistic offseason results in the following OLine (via trade down in the draft):

McGlinchy-Sitton-Whitehair-Long-Leno

But I still think the Bears may be squandering the potential of Whitehair by keeping him at Center. He was a tackle in college and only moved to Center after Grasu - who was slated to be the starter - got injured.

I never said it's an ideal scenario, but it might be the best scenario. It also has the added benefit of maximizing young players, drafted players on the roster. It comes down to these lines:

I like the first option better for multiple reasons. The foremost reasons are that bad tackles get QBs killed. They also force an offense to pull in extra help from TEs, FBs, and RBs. Furthermore, a weakness at Center can be masked much more easily than a weakness at Tackle. Provided Sitton and Long are healthy, there can be creative blocking schemes to minimize Grasu's lack of strength.

Ideally, however, I'd like to see 1-2 OLinemen drafted, preferably at tackle. I'd like Nelson at OG, but I think moving on from either Sitton or Long right now is a mistake. My realistic offseason results in the following OLine (via trade down in the draft):

But I still think the Bears may be squandering the potential of Whitehair by keeping him at Center. He was a tackle in college and only moved to Center after Grasu - who was slated to be the starter - got injured.

I don't like Whitehair at tackle and neither do scouts. He may have played tackle in college, but they all projected him to be interior in the NFL.

I don't like Whitehair at tackle and neither do scouts. He may have played tackle in college, but they all projected him to be interior in the NFL.

I know, and somewhat agree. But I like Whitehair at Tackle a hell of a lot more than I like Massie at Tackle. I'm all about maximizing the talent on hand to get the best 5 guys on the field at the same time. Putting Whitehair at Tackle isn't ideal, but it would have been the best option given the roster in 2017.

I have no problem with drafting MM but doubt he will be our LT and weaken two spots with moving leno to RT. He is not physical enough. I think if we draft him, I can see him staying at RT for at least one year. There is one more scenario to look at. Picking up a quality OC in FA and moving Whitehair to LG. Sitton will play well one more year at least, but then we have to rebuild again. I think we should fix it now and stabilize the line for many years to come. Leno is average at best but I believe the Bears see to much value in him to just chuck him to the side so quickly after a new contract. This year would be a big cap hit and in two years would go down to 2.5 mil. a more acceptable spot.

For example. Zach Fulton played several games at OC for KC last year. He is only 26 and rated out well playing OC over playing OG. He will be inexpensive and experienced in our new offense. 6' 5" 316, strong enough and has experience. Will probably save us 4-5 mil from moving on from Sitton.

I have no problem with drafting MM but doubt he will be our LT and weaken two spots with moving leno to RT. He is not physical enough. I think if we draft him, I can see him staying at RT for at least one year. There is one more scenario to look at. Picking up a quality OC in FA and moving Whitehair to LG. Sitton will play well one more year at least, but then we have to rebuild again. I think we should fix it now and stabilize the line for many years to come. Leno is average at best but I believe the Bears see to much value in him to just chuck him to the side so quickly after a new contract. This year would be a big cap hit and in two years would go down to 2.5 mil. a more acceptable spot.

For example. Zach Fulton played several games at OC for KC last year. He is only 26 and rated out well playing OC over playing OG. He will be inexpensive and experienced in our new offense. 6' 5" 316, strong enough and has experience. Will probably save us 4-5 mil from moving on from Sitton.

Read a real good article by Biggs from the Trib this morning evaluating the RB situation here. RPOs will become a huge part of the offense this year and the inside run game is the major run option in this scheme. I think that leads more to drafting a Q. Nelson. Stengthing the OLine is a major prioirity in my opinion. It creates a huge uptick in our running game which is a talented position for us. Also it protects MT which is a major concern. So back to drafting Q. Nelson if available and trading back in the second to get a 3rd and draft a Brandon Parker. We can upgrade the OLB spot in the second and WR spot in the 4th and FA.