Howard on the trade block

AZ54

Rumors are swirling down at the Combine. Bears trade Howard and in exchange receive Landry and a 3rd Rd pick. Howard is not a good fit with his lack of receiving skills.

https://twitter.com/Eric_Edholm/status/970011249550479360

Absolute horrible idea. Just because he can’t catch out of the backfield is not a reason to trade him. He’s rushed for over 1,000 yards each season in a crap offense. Ajayi isn’t known to catch our of the backfield all that well either. What makes them think they’d want a runner with similar weaknesses?

Simply dumb idea.

Rumors are swirling down at the Combine. Bears trade Howard and in exchange receive Landry and a 3rd Rd pick. Howard is not a good fit with his lack of receiving skills.

https://twitter.com/Eric_Edholm/status/970011249550479360

Absolute horrible idea. Just because he can’t catch out of the backfield is not a reason to trade him. He’s rushed for over 1,000 yards each season in a crap offense. Ajayi isn’t known to catch our of the backfield all that well either. What makes them think they’d want a runner with similar weaknesses?

Simply dumb idea.

Simply dumb idea.

A) Miami is $8mil over the cap limit and you need about $10mil for our draft picks.

B) Jordan Howard is a legit starter in the NFL and has a cap hit of $700k

C) Gase and Loggains are in Miami now so Howard walks in the door knowing the offense.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miam...e192866804.html

Even if not an ideal fit they have Drake in Miami who fills the role Cohen did for us last year. They can make it work and focus their draft on other areas.

I think Miami would have won in this deal. They don't want Landry anyway.

A) Miami is $8mil over the cap limit and you need about $10mil for our draft picks.

B) Jordan Howard is a legit starter in the NFL and has a cap hit of $700k

C) Gase and Loggains are in Miami now so Howard walks in the door knowing the offense.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miam...e192866804.html

Even if not an ideal fit they have Drake in Miami who fills the role Cohen did for us last year. They can make it work and focus their draft on other areas.

I think Miami would have won in this deal. They don't want Landry anyway.

What’s ‘good’ in it for the Bears? All your rationale makes sense for Miami, not Chicago.

Landry isn’t even a top shelf receiver. He costs too much and sounds like he’s been a bit of a malcontent. Getting rid of the so far low cost and high production of Howard for this joker makes little sense.

Agreed.

Simply dumb idea.

Howard > Landry

Yeah, no.

What’s ‘good’ in it for the Bears? All your rationale makes sense for Miami, not Chicago.

Landry isn’t even a top shelf receiver. He costs too much and sounds like he’s been a bit of a malcontent. Getting rid of the so far low cost and high production of Howard for this joker makes little sense.

Someone wanted to know why Miami would make this deal after getting rid of Ajayi, who also isn't that good of a receiver. That's why I said I think it would have been a good deal for Miami. I don't like Landry that much and he's not worth $15mil/yr IMO. Plus he's a bit of a malcontent in the locker room.

I much prefer to overpay for a guy like Wilson vs. overpaying for Landry. We'll keep the change and have a better fit in the locker room.

Evidently no legs to this rumor. Bears supposedly are pretty high on Howard.

I'm not completely buying that. If we're going to run a wide open offense then we will need someone like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98HqRF3INqY

out of the backfield.

I'm not saying it will be Penny but the Bears just spoke with Ronald Jones USC RB and he's equally as explosive when running the ball and I think as a receiver.

Between Nagy and Helfrich it's obvious where we're going with the offense. We all know that having a primary RB, and really two RBs, who can run routes and catch the ball are needed. We can probably consider Cohen the #2, and even Cunningham as the #3 (for now) since he has enough versatility. But the guy who is on the field for 60-70% of the snaps not being a good route runner/receiver won't last long. I can absolutely see us drafting someone like Penny, Jones, or a bit later Jaylen Samuels.

I'm not completely buying that. If we're going to run a wide open offense then we will need someone like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98HqRF3INqY

out of the backfield.

I'm not saying it will be Penny but the Bears just spoke with Ronald Jones USC RB and he's equally as explosive when running the ball and I think as a receiver.

Between Nagy and Helfrich it's obvious where we're going with the offense. We all know that having a primary RB, and really two RBs, who can run routes and catch the ball are needed. We can probably consider Cohen the #2, and even Cunningham as the #3 (for now) since he has enough versatility. But the guy who is on the field for 60-70% of the snaps not being a good route runner/receiver won't last long. I can absolutely see us drafting someone like Penny, Jones, or a bit later Jaylen Samuels.

Not sure how you’re convinced they wouldn’t want to keep Howard. In looking at ‘like’ offenses (Philiadelphia and KC) neither has a standout RB that catches all that much out of the backfield. The single one that may is Spencer Ware with KC who had a total of 33 catches. I think having (and keeping) a change of pace back like Howard makes a lot more sense similar to how Blount compliments Ajayi in Philly.

Not sure how you’re convinced they wouldn’t want to keep Howard. In looking at ‘like’ offenses (Philiadelphia and KC) neither has a standout RB that catches all that much out of the backfield. The single one that may is Spencer Ware with KC who had a total of 33 catches. I think having (and keeping) a change of pace back like Howard makes a lot more sense similar to how Blount compliments Ajayi in Philly.

Howard isnt a change of pace back tho. Otherwise, all good points.

I think there’s truth in this rumor. Under Nagy last season, Kareem Hunt caught 53 passes for 455 yards. In two NFL seasons, Jordan Howard caught 52 for 422. The problem is that over the past two seasons, no running back has more dropped passes than Jordan Howard with 10.

Unless Howard’s hands can improve, his role will be greatly reduced. I anticipate that instead of 1200+ yards, he’ll get around 800. I feel like if Jordan stays in this offense, he’ll just be a “meh” running back. I’m okay with selling now while his stock is high.

So far, Howard has been anything but "meh".

Let's not rid ourselves of every star player on the team to find ourselves needing another replacement.

Howard is a high character guy and is neither old nor unhappy in Chicago. Let's leave this be please...

I feel like if Jordan stays in this offense, he’ll just be a “meh” running back. I’m okay with selling now while his stock is high.

Let's not rid ourselves of every star player on the team to find ourselves needing another replacement.

Howard is a high character guy and is neither old nor unhappy in Chicago. Let's leave this be please...

Completely agree. I'm sure this is just smokescreen

That is true, Howard fit the run-run-pass offense very well.

That is true, Howard fit the run-run-pass offense very well.

I love Howard. He's a solid RB. He just can't catch a pass. He already dropped a gimee hat would have won the game against the Falcons. I can see the new staff thinking they can use him as a chip and then draft a back that can run the ball AND catch. If he stays, great, if he goes, I want something really good in return. But I can see the logic behind dangling him.

I love Howard. He's a solid RB. He just can't catch a pass. He already dropped a gimee hat would have won the game against the Falcons. I can see the new staff thinking they can use him as a chip and then draft a back that can run the ball AND catch. If he stays, great, if he goes, I want something really good in return. But I can see the logic behind dangling him.

well said, but not for Landry and a swap of first rounders too. You probably agreed when you said "something good in return" :)

well said, but not for Landry and a swap of first rounders too. You probably agreed when you said "something good in return" :)

Hell yea. No way should we give up our 8 and Howard. Nope, not gonna do it!

Hell yea. No way should we give up our 8 and Howard. Nope, not gonna do it!

I think there’s truth in this rumor. Under Nagy last season, Kareem Hunt caught 53 passes for 455 yards. In two NFL seasons, Jordan Howard caught 52 for 422. The problem is that over the past two seasons, no running back has more dropped passes than Jordan Howard with 10.

Unless Howard’s hands can improve, his role will be greatly reduced. I anticipate that instead of 1200+ yards, he’ll get around 800. I feel like if Jordan stays in this offense, he’ll just be a “meh” running back. I’m okay with selling now while his stock is high.

I remember real well this time we thought we needed a RB that fit better in a diffrrent offense (Turners). The Bears spent a first round pick on Cedric Benson and they eventually traded Thomas Jones. If they do draft another RB, hopefully it is 5th rd or later and Cunningham will be the back on notice. Not that I dislike him, but Cunningham is the old man and I prefer to keep Howard and Cohen.