Tremaine Edmunds

BearFan PHX

I sure do like what I see from Tremaine Edmunds.

If he is in the middle, I think he can do a lot of things for us, and Fangio would know just how to use him.

In zone defense, he'd be another Urlacher, and imagine how much more effective that would be when we arent in cover 2 all the time.

In man, he clearly has the skills to stay with TEs and even slot receivers.

In this day and age of college running QBs, he is a spy too. He has the speed and tackling ability to shut that down in a hurry.

And hes long enough for pass rush and as sure an open field tackler as Ive ever seen.

He would be an excellent chess piece for Fangio.

If he is in the middle, I think he can do a lot of things for us, and Fangio would know just how to use him.

In zone defense, he'd be another Urlacher, and imagine how much more effective that would be when we arent in cover 2 all the time.

In this day and age of college running QBs, he is a spy too. He has the speed and tackling ability to shut that down in a hurry.

And hes long enough for pass rush and as sure an open field tackler as Ive ever seen.

I agree and slowly Edmunds has risen into a top 10 player on many boards. I saw one mock proposal that had us taking Edmunds and then in Rd 2 Lorenzo Carter. 8 weeks ago Carter was listed as a 4th Rd prospect and he too has risen a lot lately. Carter doesn't have a lot of production but his athleticism is outstanding and fits the OLB role well. It is intriguing because adding that much athletic ability to our front 7 would make the D very tough although it will probably take a full season for both these players to settle into their roles. In the meantime we have Lynch to fill in the role McPhee sort of held for us the past few seasons. Pass rush can come from anywhere on the field as can pass coverage. Probably need to find a vet DE/DT to fill out the roster.

I agree and slowly Edmunds has risen into a top 10 player on many boards. I saw one mock proposal that had us taking Edmunds and then in Rd 2 Lorenzo Carter. 8 weeks ago Carter was listed as a 4th Rd prospect and he too has risen a lot lately. Carter doesn't have a lot of production but his athleticism is outstanding and fits the OLB role well. It is intriguing because adding that much athletic ability to our front 7 would make the D very tough although it will probably take a full season for both these players to settle into their roles. In the meantime we have Lynch to fill in the role McPhee sort of held for us the past few seasons. Pass rush can come from anywhere on the field as can pass coverage. Probably need to find a vet DE/DT to fill out the roster.

I agree. We are a few pieces short of a real team. It's been a long time since that was true.

I'd say drafting Edmunds will depend a lot on his interviews, and probably a personal workout with the team so they can see how coachable he is. What does he really understand about playing the position and what effort off the field does he put in to improving his game.

I have seen a few places where we are suppose to meet with Johnathan Hawkins/DT this week. Has anyone else seen that or is that just a writer finding something to write about.

I have seen a few places where we are suppose to meet with Johnathan Hawkins/DT this week. Has anyone else seen that or is that just a writer finding something to write about.

Lots of speculation but I haven't seen anything from any of the usual "insiders". I liked Hankins last year and wanted us to go after him. My only concern is can he keep his weight in check. If he does he's a beast on run downs and offers enough movement to get some pass rush. My guess is that Pace is waiting him out to see if his contract demands fall enough to fit into his budget. He was paid 3/30 by the Colts a year ago and they just cut him.

According to OTC.com we have 28mil in cap space right now. Jerrell Freeman is still on the roster but will definitely be cut at some point adding $3.5mil more. DTs who can't rush the passer don't get the big bucks so if we could get him for a 2-3yr deal at 5-6mil/yr I'd take it. That gives RRH and Bullard more time to develop and in the meantime provide us with pass rush. There is still room for Pace to setup the rumored long term deals with Amos and Goldman and then add his usual group of veteran FAs on minimum salary deals.

None of these are considered reliable sources.

https://dawindycity.com/2018/03/24/chicago-...nathan-hankins/

http://sportsmockery.com/2018/03/bears-qui...defensive-line/

Lots of speculation but I haven't seen anything from any of the usual "insiders". I liked Hankins last year and wanted us to go after him. My only concern is can he keep his weight in check. If he does he's a beast on run downs and offers enough movement to get some pass rush. My guess is that Pace is waiting him out to see if his contract demands fall enough to fit into his budget. He was paid 3/30 by the Colts a year ago and they just cut him.

According to OTC.com we have 28mil in cap space right now. Jerrell Freeman is still on the roster but will definitely be cut at some point adding $3.5mil more. DTs who can't rush the passer don't get the big bucks so if we could get him for a 2-3yr deal at 5-6mil/yr I'd take it. That gives RRH and Bullard more time to develop and in the meantime provide us with pass rush. There is still room for Pace to setup the rumored long term deals with Amos and Goldman and then add his usual group of veteran FAs on minimum salary deals.

None of these are considered reliable sources.

https://dawindycity.com/2018/03/24/chicago-...nathan-hankins/

http://sportsmockery.com/2018/03/bears-qui...defensive-line/

He can play 5T or NT in spelling Goldman so he would be a good addition. I do believe Bullard has a breakout year. So that will temper the need for a high end 5T.

I really like the idea of Edmunds. I would very much like us moving down a few spots, but that would be dependent on a player another team really wants being there. I don't see Nelson there, so it comes down to a LB or a DB to me. I don't know if we are going to take a DB, but I'm still open to it cause Ward / Fitzpatrick are both excellent prospects and we are in a passing world. Pass rusher would be awesome and I'm totally good with some of the "project OLB"s. I figure if we move down a couple slots, we still likely get a Edmunds / Landry while adding some ammunition.

If Nelson is there, I'm picking him...period. I see almost zero scenario where he is there.

The problem is in this scheme, the ILB is somewhat undervalued. They are more of a glorified strong safety.

If we are drafting a player at #8,, he HAS to be able to get to the quarterback. Fangio’s scheme’s are all about QB pressure. If he can do that, I’d be thrilled with him at #8.

The problem is in this scheme, the ILB is somewhat undervalued. They are more of a glorified strong safety.

If we are drafting a player at #8,, he HAS to be able to get to the quarterback. Fangio’s scheme’s are all about QB pressure. If he can do that, I’d be thrilled with him at #8.

For this reason we can't sleep on Marcus Davenport. He may very well be the better edge rushing prospect vs. Edmunds.

For this reason we can't sleep on Marcus Davenport. He may very well be the better edge rushing prospect vs. Edmunds.

Hopefully Pace and Fangio are doing there homework. The Bears need a defensive game changer and the closer we get to the draft the further I am starting to feel. If Nelson is gone, I think we have to draft a playmaker on D. I am leaning ON Edmunds myself, but really don't want a ILB. If they think Edmunds can grow into an Aldon Smith, then go for him. If they don't think he will get the strength to play outside, but will still be a great ILB, then I may switch to Davenport. Our chances of trading down don't look good, so we will be realistically be choosing one of these:

Nelson G

Edmunds LB

Davenport DE/OLB

Fitzpatrick DB

Ward CB

Smith LB

James S

Both Edmunds and Davenport are not first year studs, they will both take some development. Fangio will do that. If Nelson is there, he will be the pick.

1. qb

2. Chubb

3. Qb

4. Barkley

5. I have read many places that Denver is still in on a Qb.

6. This pick will be Nelson or Fitzpatrick possible trade partner for Buff

7. Will be Fritz or Ward. They have lots of issues in their defensive backfield. TB added Ryan Jensen and will move a good Ali Marpet to OG. They have the 17th ranked OL last year, so they may look to upgrade a poor defense.

8. Nelson could be there. If not Edumunds or Davenport should be our pick. Also I read where R. Smith is a scheme fit for a 3-4. Light(237 ) at combine, he could be a BPA at that part of draft.

Both Edmunds and Davenport are not first year studs, they will both take some development. Fangio will do that. If Nelson is there, he will be the pick.

1. qb

2. Chubb

3. Qb

4. Barkley

7. Will be Fritz or Ward. They have lots of issues in their defensive backfield. TB added Ryan Jensen and will move a good Ali Marpet to OG. They have the 17th ranked OL last year, so they may look to upgrade a poor defense.

8. Nelson could be there. If not Edumunds or Davenport should be our pick. Also I read where R. Smith is a scheme fit for a 3-4. Light(237 ) at combine, he could be a BPA at that part of draft.

Maybe. While I agree that Nelson is plug and play and Edmunds will take a minute to develop, I'm not sure that you can't get better OL later in the draft than playmaking defenders. Either will upgrade our team a lot.

1. qb

2. Chubb

3. Qb

4. Barkley

It will be a miracle if 4 QBs go before we select, but keeping my fingers crossed. I always liked R Smith and told Rich Campbell there is no way Smith is a top 10 player because of his position. I would hate to eat crow, but he most likely go to Oak or SF if we don't take him. Edmunds intrigues me the most because I can see him gaining good weight and grows into a freak on the edge.

I dont think they will play Edmunds on the edge. I think he will play ILB.

People assume pass rusher is the most important player on the field, but actually impact player is. USUALLY that's a pass rusher. But you can't say, for example, that if Ed Reed was there, that we shouldn't take him.

Edmunds has freakish size and speed. Imagine having Urlacher in his prime shutting down the middle of the field, but only when you happen to choose to play zone, not predictably.

Now imagine he can take any TE or slot WR in man coverage.

Further, he is a spy on running QBs, and yes he can rush the passer from the ILB too.

When you say he would be like a mini safety, yes exactly.

He would be a chess piece that Fangio could use to do all sorts of things with.

I know ILB isnt a sexy position, but Edmunds is a rare athlete. Have you seen the film on the guy? I've never seen a better tackler ever. He doesnt come at people from angles, his head is always right on their belt buckle and his arms just envelop people.

In this defense, he could be a true difference maker.

I don't take Nelson lightly at OG, he's amazing. But I think Edmunds is even more special.

Well said

I would be fine with Edmunds in the middle as long as they can get Lorenzo Carter in the 2nd. I want to see 85 Bear pressure on QBs again and feel we are close just need another athlete opposite of Floyd. Not sure how much time we have with a dominant Hicks and Goldman, but the window is open.

I would be fine with Edmunds in the middle as long as they can get Lorenzo Carter in the 2nd. I want to see 85 Bear pressure on QBs again and feel we are close just need another athlete opposite of Floyd. Not sure how much time we have with a dominant Hicks and Goldman, but the window is open.

no doubt they need more than Edmunds. They'll need another pash rusher. It'd be great if it was a DE too.

But Rome wasn't built in a day, and in all likelihood, we will go into this season missing at least one more impact player on defense.

I do believe if we take Edmunds in the first that we will go OL in the second and then D front 7 and maybe another OL with our first two picks of the 4th.

Whatever happens, those are our needs, and we're gonna come up at least one short it seems, unless Pace hits on both 4th rounders.

That was the conclusion I came to when I wrote the "Bears have many holes" thread - seems we are in agreement.

Yes, pretty much. If we can trade down 2-3 spots and still get Edmunds while gaining a 3rd, I think Pace can get the 3 or 4 players needed.

I don't think Edmunds would last. Some mocks even have him going ahead of us.

Have you seen his film?

I gotta say tho, I'm loving the vibe around here this week. Seems like we are debating and disagreeing, all respectfully and there's no crap. Is it the new color scheme?

12 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

I don't think Edmunds would last. Some mocks even have him going ahead of us.

Have you seen his film?

I gotta say tho, I'm loving the vibe around here this week. Seems like we are debating and disagreeing, all respectfully and there's no crap. Is it the new color scheme?

I watched a quick 2-3 minute video but not elaborately. I will have to look closer.  I still read many mocks saying he would fit nicely on the bears as OLB, so it would be interesting to see what Fangio sees.

On 3/29/2018 at 7:38 PM, Stinger226 said:

I'd be happy with Edmunds,  but he isn't a instant star , it  will  take a few years to develop.  Nelson  day 1 makes the oline special. Get the Oline up to speed then worry about defense. 

Urlacher played safety in college and knew very little about playing LB.  In fact, he didn't play well at WLB but inside he thrived.  I don't want to put Edmunds in the HoF category, but I see lots of talk about him as just a great athlete who hasn't been productive because he doesn't know how to play.   He's actually been very productive:  2017  108 tackles,  14 for loss, 5.5 sacks.     2016  94 tackles, 16.5 for loss, 4.5 sacks.    That's a 12, maybe 13 game season so extrapolate that to 16 games and he'd be our best tackler and tied with Floyd and Hicks for sacks.   

Actually you don't have to extrapolate, he's already got more tackles than our leader, Trevathan.  I won't expect that from him in year one in the NFL, but there's no doubt he'll be productive as a rookie even if he's still learning how to play.  On day one in training camp he'd be better in coverage than anything we've ever seen from Kwiatkoski.   In 11 games Kwit had 49 total tackles, 2 sacks (don't know the TFL) . 

The fact Edmunds can be so productive yet still have so much to learn is impressive IMO.   Add in that he could excel as an edge rusher as well and you have enough upside or position flexibility to make him well worth the investment.  Even if he falls back to just being a very good ILB he'd be taking over for Trevathan in a couple years.  We've seen comments that our ILB isn't that important to the success of the D.  Scheme wise this might not be the key position, but there was a huge difference in our D when Trevathan was out last year.  When he returned the overall D improved quite a bit.  Trevathan is also a good leader on the field and in the locker room.  I'm not sure we could put Edmunds with a better pro to help him get up to speed.    

I am not saying he will not make a contribution in his first year. My point is the high expectations will not be realized his first or even second year. He is very young and has a good coach to teach him. On the other hand , if we get the chance to draft Nelson, he would have instant impact at a position we also need an upgrade. If Nelson is there, I am all in on Edmunds as our pick.