My Draft

AZ54

We're just a couple weeks out so I figured I'd put together my mock draft.  I used position rankings from http://nfldraftscout.com/position-rankings/ . 

1/8   Tremaine Edmunds  ILB     He combines with Trevathan to give us outstanding defense in the middle of the field, and spends some time at OLB.  

2/39  Billy Price  OC      Move Whitehair back to LG.  Price is stout up front, let's keep the pocket clean in front of Trubisky so he can step up when needed, and run Howard up the middle.  

4/105  Kemoko Turay  OLB   He's got all the athletic talent to be a stud pass rusher.  Can he overcome his injury history?  

4/115   Jamarco Jones OT    Backup for a year and replaces Massie at RT next year.  

5/145   Allen Lazard WR     Insurance against Meredith/White.  

6/181   Michael Joseph  CB     Talented, hard working kid from a small school and I really like how he plays the game.  

7/224   Ryan Nall  RB/FB/H-back   At 6' 2"  232lbs, he has some versatility to his game and good hands, if he plays well I could see him replacing FB Burton on the roster, or just being stashed on the practice squad for a year.

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

We're just a couple weeks out so I figured I'd put together my mock draft.  I used position rankings from http://nfldraftscout.com/position-rankings/ . 

1/8   Tremaine Edmunds  ILB     He combines with Trevathan to give us outstanding defense in the middle of the field, and spends some time at OLB.  

2/39  Billy Price  OC      Move Whitehair back to LG.  Price is stout up front, let's keep the pocket clean in front of Trubisky so he can step up when needed, and run Howard up the middle.  

4/105  Kemoko Turay  OLB   He's got all the athletic talent to be a stud pass rusher.  Can he overcome his injury history?  

4/115   Jamarco Jones OT    Backup for a year and replaces Massie at RT next year.  

6/181   Michael Joseph  CB     Talented, hard working kid from a small school and I really like how he plays the game.  

7/224   Ryan Nall  RB/FB/H-back   At 6' 2"  232lbs, he has some versatility to his game and good hands, if he plays well I could see him replacing FB Burton on the roster, or just being stashed on the practice squad for a year.

I would LOVE this draft. Do you really think Jones will be there at #145?

3 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

I would LOVE this draft. Do you really think Jones will be there at #145?

Seems to be on most draft boards.  We could also have Brandon Parker here too, Chukwuma Okorafor, or maybe Desmond Harrison (talented head-case who I'm less high on).   

42 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

I think it will Edmunds or Smith at the 8th pick. 

Peace

me too, but I am open to the idea that it will be a surprise on the defensive front 7 too. But Im with you, my money is on ILB.

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

My money is on a trade down with New England and we take Rashan Evans LB and G Isaiah Wynn.  

First, New England has a ton of holes to fill so I'd be surprised to see them give up those picks.  Two, because of all the QB focus this is not a normal draft where the 8th pick doesn't get you a blue chip type player.   For us to trade back that far and walk away from that opportunity, and many others such as Davenport, they need to offer us a lot more than the normal point value.   

On 4/9/2018 at 10:51 PM, AZ54 said:

This looks even better now that Meredith is gone.

If Turay isnt available in the 4th, we might go WR there and look for whatever defensive help we can in rounds 5, 6 & 7, but I absolutely agree with Edmunds, Price, and another OL in the 4th. Then the question is between Turay and a WR.

IF you get Turay, then I think you're right about Lazard in the 5th.

Heck, maybe they'll look at a real WR in the 2nd round now, and push the OL to the 4th. Very interesting stuff as the draft comes into focus.

2 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

This looks even better now that Meredith is gone.

If Turay isnt available in the 4th, we might go WR there and look for whatever defensive help we can in rounds 5, 6 & 7, but I absolutely agree with Edmunds, Price, and another OL in the 4th. Then the question is between Turay and a WR.

IF you get Turay, then I think you're right about Lazard in the 5th.

Heck, maybe they'll look at a real WR in the 2nd round now, and push the OL to the 4th. Very interesting stuff as the draft comes into focus.

It's an unusual year because the 4th Rd presents a lot of good options for us.  More typically it seems we're saying grab the player who falls out of the 3rd Rd.   I'd like to stay at #8 at least until we sees who available.  A trade back in the 2nd Rd of just 7-10 spots should net an additional 4th Rd pick and that could really help fill out the roster.  

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

It's an unusual year because the 4th Rd presents a lot of good options for us.  More typically it seems we're saying grab the player who falls out of the 3rd Rd.   I'd like to stay at #8 at least until we sees who available.  A trade back in the 2nd Rd of just 7-10 spots should net an additional 4th Rd pick and that could really help fill out the roster.  

Yeah I had a post a while back that no matter what we do we are going to still have a few holes somewhere. Still it's nice to be this far along.

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think out of this draft we need a IOL starter, a future OT prospect, a OLB, and ILB--- and now a WR prospect.

We are unlikely to get high quality starters at all those positions in one draft, which is where Jenkins, Kwitkowski, Lynch, Kush and lord knows which WRs come in.

We are clearly going to have a hole for at least some of those guys to try to fill. It's exciting to see the roster getting full, but we won't be all the way there until next year. Still, we are a lot closer than we have been in many years, and there is nothing that says some of those guys won't show something. But It's unlikely that we could find someone better at those positions in the 5th round for example.

55 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

We are unlikely to get high quality starters at all those positions in one draft, which is where Jenkins, Kwitkowski, Lynch, Kush and lord knows which WRs come in.

We are clearly going to have a hole for at least some of those guys to try to fill. It's exciting to see the roster getting full, but we won't be all the way there until next year. Still, we are a lot closer than we have been in many years, and there is nothing that says some of those guys won't show something. But It's unlikely that we could find someone better at those positions in the 5th round for example.

Another Pro Bowl player on the roster would make some of the roster weak spots less visible on Sundays.  If Robinson lights it up then Gabriel will be more effective.  I feel the same way about putting Tremaine Edmunds in the middle of the D.  A lot of little things should be harder for offenses to take advantage of.  Add QNelson to the Oline and ,while our OTs aren't perfect Trubisky should always have a nice place to step forward and out of harms way, and the running lanes might be ridiculously big at times.   Add Saquon Barkley and everyone else on offense looks better, except of course Jordan Howard because he won't be here.  Of course if Trubisky develops as we hope he'd have a similar effect.