Trade down clown dream

jason

I know this is unlikely, but I'm thinking more and more I hate the #8 spot.
I think Nelson and Chubb will be gone, and I don't like anyon else at #8 a lot.

So my dream is a trade down with Buffalo. They obviously need QB, and a ton of articles online think they are poised to make a move. They moved up for a reason, and it wasn't to sit still at #12 and hope.

Trade #1
BUFFALO
1.12 = 1200
3.65 = 265
CHICAGO
1.8 = 1400

From there I want the Bears to drop down into the late teens or early 20s. That would net them another early 3rd, or a late 2nd for the fee of moving up.

So let's say for fun they trade down to 23, because NE is so unpredictable and it's random.

Trade #2
NE
1.23 = 760
2.43 = 470
CHICAGO
1.12 = 1200

That leaves the Bears with a ton of picks. The following is just one of many enticing possibilities:
1.23 - Roquan Smith, ILB, UGA - Great spot for an ILB pickup like Smith.
2.39 - Billy Price, C/G, OSU - Great fit and versatility.
2.43 - Lorenzo Carter, OLB, UGA - Let's just get all the UGA 'backers.
3.65 - Brandon Parker, OT, North Carolina A&T - I still like the idea of getting Cohen his boy.
4.105 - Simmie Cobbs Jr, WR, Indiana - Huge WR. I like this guy a lot.
4.115 - J.C. Jackson, CB, Maryland - Great athlete with off the field issues.
5.145 - Lowell Lotulelei, DT, Utah - Goldman insurance.
6.181 - Riley Ferguson, QB, Memphis - Dark horse who left UT. I saw him play in person and was impressed.
7.224 - Eddy Pineiro, K, Florida - It's time. I hope he slips.

I loved the concept. I thought the trade down scenarios were realistic and well thought out. A lot of times when I read a post of this sort the "bounty" for trading down is very unrealistic. I think yours is on target.

I do agree with others, I believe R. Smith is a potential top 10 pick. 

The other change I would make is instead of a Kicker in round 7 I'd go with a Punter

I'd be ok trading back to 12 and adding a 3rd Rd pick but I wouldn't move back any further.  At 12 we can still get a player with excellent potential. Drop back to 23 and that becomes less clear. 

In this scenario if Nelson and Chubb are both gone yet Buffalo wants to pick at #8 so it means the last of the top 4 QBs remains on the board.   Who are the other 4 players taken in the top 7:  Barkley for sure, Edmunds,  Ward, one of Fitzpatrick/James.   

We pick at 12 so knowing Buffalo takes the last top QB at 8, who gets taken at 9, 10, and 11?       If Edmunds is gone I'd guess at 9 the 49ers grab whoever is left of Fitzpatrick/James.    At 10 the Raiders take Roquan Smith.  At 11 we have Miami and here is where the draft takes on a different persona because other than Vea, who might not be a fit in their scheme or needs their isn't any one player standing above the rest.  I'll say they take Davenport to improve their pass rush.  

With #12 the Bears take Vea and nobody can run against the Bears front line for the next 4 years.  Or the Dolphins take Vea and we take Davenport.  If we don't take one of those two options, with player grades being relatively level at this point in the 1st Rd, we can choose from Ridley, Da'Ron Payne, Landry, or Jaire Alexander, Mike Hughes.  Behind that group the question marks start getting bigger quickly.  

Just my opinion but looking at several draft boards I'd prefer to stay top 15 if we trade down from 8.    

11 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I'd be ok trading back to 12 and adding a 3rd Rd pick but I wouldn't move back any further.  At 12 we can still get a player with excellent potential. Drop back to 23 and that becomes less clear. 

In this scenario if Nelson and Chubb are both gone yet Buffalo wants to pick at #8 so it means the last of the top 4 QBs remains on the board.   Who are the other 4 players taken in the top 7:  Barkley for sure, Edmunds,  Ward, one of Fitzpatrick/James.   

We pick at 12 so knowing Buffalo takes the last top QB at 8, who gets taken at 9, 10, and 11?       If Edmunds is gone I'd guess at 9 the 49ers grab whoever is left of Fitzpatrick/James.    At 10 the Raiders take Roquan Smith.  At 11 we have Miami and here is where the draft takes on a different persona because other than Vea, who might not be a fit in their scheme or needs their isn't any one player standing above the rest.  I'll say they take Davenport to improve their pass rush.  

With #12 the Bears take Vea and nobody can run against the Bears front line for the next 4 years.  Or the Dolphins take Vea and we take Davenport.  If we don't take one of those two options, with player grades being relatively level at this point in the 1st Rd, we can choose from Ridley, Da'Ron Payne, Landry, or Jaire Alexander, Mike Hughes.  Behind that group the question marks start getting bigger quickly.  

Just my opinion but looking at several draft boards I'd prefer to stay top 15 if we trade down from 8.    

Regarding Vea, what position would he play? I don't think he has the ability to play the 3-4 end. And we already have Goldman.

11 hours ago, jason said:

Regarding Vea, what position would he play? I don't think he has the ability to play the 3-4 end. And we already have Goldman.

He absolutely can play some DE.  Vea is a powerful beast but he's also quick, even in lateral movements.  That lateral movement skill is where he differs from Goldman who has decent quickness for his size when he's moving forward.   Vea does not have great endurance, but that's partly because of his body type.  In college Washington used him all over the defensive front and as games wore on he was less effective.   However, put him in the rotation and he will handle some early down snaps at DE, he'll be first backup for Goldman at NT, and can spell Hicks as well.  Plus we will mix in some Bullard or RRH on passing downs.   That much depth in a defensive front allows rotating DTs/DE's out on downs or for a series and it will make them incredibddddddly tough.    

Last year it was obvious HIcks was wearing out late in games, but he was playing a ton of snaps.  Get Vea in the rotation and remove about 10-15% of Hicks snaps and he'll be even more effective.    We'd be doing the same for Goldman.   When Goldman, Hicks, and Vea have fresh legs each has plenty of pass rush.  

Our ILB will only worry about off-tackle runs so play action up the middle won't be as effective.    I think the OLB will be shading a bit more to outside too having to worry less about the inside gap.  That helps pass rush off the edge.    

In an odd way it's the opposite version of what our Oline could become if we draft Nelson.  If you can take away or control something on the field, like the interior rush lanes, it simplifies what everyone else in back is concentrating on.   Beast out on one interior line or the other.  

Your score is: 22368 (GRADE: A) 

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 13 (WASH):  Edmunds, Tremaine, OLB/ILB, Virginia Tech (A)
Round 2 Pick 7:  Price, Billy, C/OG, Ohio State (A)
Round 2 Pick 10 (MIA):  Carter, Lorenzo, OLB, Georgia (C)
Round 4 Pick 5:  Brown, Orlando, OT, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 4 Pick 9 (WASH):  Jones, Jamarco, OT, Ohio State (A)
Round 4 Pick 15:  Moore, JMon, WR, Missouri (A+)
Round 5 Pick 8:  Aruna, Ade, DE, Tulane (A+)
Round 6 Pick 7:  Dickson, Michael, P, Texas (A+)

Round 7 Pick 6:  Atkins, John, DT, Georgia (A+)

I don't know why my copy and paste looks this way, but I love this draft.  I did 2 two realistic trade downs to pick up a couple of picks.

17 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Your score is: 22368 (GRADE: A) 

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 13 (WASH):  Edmunds, Tremaine, OLB/ILB, Virginia Tech (A)
Round 2 Pick 7:  Price, Billy, C/OG, Ohio State (A)
Round 2 Pick 10 (MIA):  Carter, Lorenzo, OLB, Georgia (C)
Round 4 Pick 5:  Brown, Orlando, OT, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 4 Pick 9 (WASH):  Jones, Jamarco, OT, Ohio State (A)
Round 4 Pick 15:  Moore, JMon, WR, Missouri (A+)
Round 5 Pick 8:  Aruna, Ade, DE, Tulane (A+)
Round 6 Pick 7:  Dickson, Michael, P, Texas (A+)

Round 7 Pick 6:  Atkins, John, DT, Georgia (A+)

I don't know why my copy and paste looks this way, but I love this draft.  I did 2 two realistic trade downs to pick up a couple of picks.

Why are you drafting two RTs?  There's either a CB or WR there for the taking that should have better upside than Moore in the 5th.  

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Why are you drafting two RTs?  There's either a CB or WR there for the taking that should have better upside than Moore in the 5th.  

Throwing numbers and taking value.  Both of these started at LT last year but project as RT.  Here's the rub, Brown is immensely talented and could be a major boom or 4th round bust.  If he works, he could be a lock down left tackle.  The other is simply an insurance pick of throwing a little extra water on the fire.

I'm certain that if you took the line we have now, and added Price, Jones and Brown, that Hiestand would be thrilled and the result, one way or another, OL would be a strength of the team. Even if one of them totally flamed out.

Since we are so close to the draft, here is a shot at what I think will happen.

We do one trade back with GB, get 14-a 2nd and 3 rd picks.

Round 1 Pick 14 (G.B.):  Landry, Harold, OLB/DE, Boston College (B+)
Round 2 Pick 7:  Price, Billy, C/OG, Ohio State (B+)
Round 2 Pick 13 (G.B.):  Crosby, Tyrell, OT, Oregon (A-)
Round 3 Pick 12 (G.B.):  Settle, Tim, DT, Virginia Tech (A-)
Round 4 Pick 5:  Meeks, Quenton, CB, Stanford (A)
Round 4 Pick 15:  Cain, Deon, WR, Clemson (A+)
Round 5 Pick 8:  Armstrong Jr, Dorance, DE/OLB, Kansas (B)
Round 6 Pick 7:  DeLuca, Nick, ILB, North Dakota State (B+)
Round 7 Pick 6:  Franklin, Jarvion, RB, Western Michigan (A)
I tried to address all the needs and actually feel real good about getting Settle in the 3rd round. Read up on him. 

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I did this mock on FirstPIck.com and that is the best trade down they offered. I personally think Buffalo is more in play than any other team.

I like that mock. Your are right, it may be Buffalo instead and I don't think we get the 2nd  and 3rd both, just the 3rd but it was what was given. So I would still be happy with that draft minus Crosby to keep it realistic.  One thought, I haven't looked deep into it, but if Grasu wasn't big enough why would Price be? They are about the same size at draft time. Maybe Ragnow would be better, but we do run a zone blocking scheme so mobility is also important. 

Today's mock trading down, with ARZ. 1-8 for 1-15 & 2-15. Hopefully my final.

1-15  Mike McGlinchey OT -Might not be a dire need, but McGlinchey might be the best OT prospect that came out the past 2 seasons. He upgrades the line and locks LT up long term.

2-7  Lorenzo Carter OLB-The Bears create the Dawg pound pass attack with two similar OLBs to protect the edge, harass QBs, and cover when needed.

2-15  Harrison Phillip's DE/NT-His explosion factor is off the charts. Phillip's replaces Unrein and can spell Goldman inside too.  He mixes in right away and completes a DLine that will be hectic to go up against. 

4-5  Equin St Brown WR-Large WR with great route running ability. He will pair up well with Robinson outside.

4-15 Quenton Meeks CB- Big physical CB that uses his smarts to make up for lack of speed. Give him a year to learn and he can be a staple on the D.

5-8 Azeem Victor ILB- Spitfire LB similar to Trevathan who can cover well and sure tackle. He is a risk, which seems to be a Washington issue.

6-7 Taylor Hearn OG -Clemson OG that has been in some tough trenches. Nothing glorious, but can become a starter.

7-6 Ryan Nall RB - Bit of a tweener FB/RB/WR, he will be a nice compliment to Lightning and Thunder

I like this draft and see players that were not a dire need but will be studs once adjusted. Instead of McGlinchey, I could have taken Conner William's or Billy Price to play G. I couldn't pass a LT and dont think the Bears should either. They will have to go in with Kush/Morgan at G but I think they are prepared to. I took a solid G in Hearn but was leaning Keke Coutee WR to add more explosion to the WR Corp.  Anyway, you cannot address it all every year. Have to leave some targets for 2019 drafts....which fires off 1 week for today??

30 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

1-15  Mike McGlinchey OT -Might not be a dire need, but McGlinchey might be the best OT prospect that came out the past 2 seasons. He upgrades the line and locks LT up long term.

2-7  Lorenzo Carter OLB-The Bears create the Dawg pound pass attack with two similar OLBs to protect the edge, harass QBs, and cover when needed.

2-15  Harrison Phillip's DE/NT-His explosion factor is off the charts. Phillip's replaces Unrein and can spell Goldman inside too.  He mixes in right away and completes a DLine that will be hectic to go up against. 

4-5  Equin St Brown WR-Large WR with great route running ability. He will pair up well with Robinson outside.

4-15 Quenton Meeks CB- Big physical CB that uses his smarts to make up for lack of speed. Give him a year to learn and he can be a staple on the D.

5-8 Azeem Victor ILB- Spitfire LB similar to Trevathan who can cover well and sure tackle. He is a risk, which seems to be a Washington issue.

6-7 Taylor Hearn OG -Clemson OG that has been in some tough trenches. Nothing glorious, but can become a starter.

7-6 Ryan Nall RB - Bit of a tweener FB/RB/WR, he will be a nice compliment to Lightning and Thunder

I like this draft and see players that were not a dire need but will be studs once adjusted. Instead of McGlinchey, I could have taken Conner William's or Billy Price to play G. I couldn't pass a LT and dont think the Bears should either. They will have to go in with Kush/Morgan at G but I think they are prepared to. I took a solid G in Hearn but was leaning Keke Coutee WR to add more explosion to the WR Corp.  Anyway, you cannot address it all every year. Have to leave some targets for 2019 drafts....which fires off 1 week for today??

some good names on that list, I bet youll see some as Bears

On 4/21/2018 at 2:27 PM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I'd love that draft. Five straight homers as far as I'm concerned.