Ranking the Bears' Draft Needs 13 to 1

Pixote

Agree with most of the assessment.  In fact because of it I'm now more aware how dire (perhaps) the OLB/Edge Rush position is.  Although Fangio historically not known for blitz packages he could certainly use a true edge rusher besides Floyd (who is injury prone).  I wonder if drafting Edmunds would make more sense in that although he is designated an ILB he could swing outside if Floyd or Lynch were suddenly unavailable?

Agree that interior lineman could (and should) be addressed by the second round.  In fact, I'd pin the choice in the second round. 

Scary to think they are already having to possibly consider drafting a replacement for Amos. I like what I'm seeing from him and suspect we'll be in a similar situation with him next year that we were this year with Fuller.  That being said I LOVE the idea of current Alabama Fitzpatrick pairing up with Jackson...but probably not enough at 8.

In a 3-4 both OLB dont rush together unless it's a blitz.

This is why having a sometimes pass rusher in the middle like Clay Matthews makes more sense than two pass rushing OLB.

Now if you can get a good pass rushing 3-4DE, like Hicks, that's something you can use on every down for pressure.

But if you want another LB to rush the passer in a 3-4 there is no need for it to be from the OLB rather than ILB position.

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

In a 3-4 both OLB dont rush together unless it's a blitz.

This is why having a sometimes pass rusher in the middle like Clay Matthews makes more sense than two pass rushing OLB.

Now if you can get a good pass rushing 3-4DE, like Hicks, that's something you can use on every down for pressure.

But if you want another LB to rush the passer in a 3-4 there is no need for it to be from the OLB rather than ILB position.

Hence the reason I like Edmunds for the pick. Although he’s slated as more an ILB I would think he could slide over and rush if need.  

And the point of this article, specifically about the OLB/Edge Rusher, is that the current 1-2 positions are occupied by players that haven’t played a lot due to injury in recent years in Floyd and Lynch.  And apparently Lynch got hurt during the recent Spring workout session. 

There’s almost no doubt the ILB needs help so was just wondering if a hybrid ILB/OLB could be filled by someone like Edmunds.  C. Jones was sorta that guy until he left. 

6 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Hence the reason I like Edmunds for the pick. Although he’s slated as more an ILB I would think he could slide over and rush if need.  

And the point of this article, specifically about the OLB/Edge Rusher, is that the current 1-2 positions are occupied by players that haven’t played a lot due to injury in recent years in Floyd and Lynch.  And apparently Lynch got hurt during the recent Spring workout session. 

There’s almost no doubt the ILB needs help so was just wondering if a hybrid ILB/OLB could be filled by someone like Edmunds.  C. Jones was sorta that guy until he left. 

Sure, but if you want to mess up the offense, you dont bring the guy to OLB, you rush him from the ILB position and let Floyd get into coverage on that play.

I love Edmunds at 8.

But I trust Pace and the staff to get this right, they have more info that I do.

They are basically saying Acho is the worst starter (currently), and worse than (Kush/Grasu), Kwiatkoski, Gabriel, or Massie. 

What that tells me is we will be hard pressed to go DB in the first few rounds. We need to address 4 of these needs (OLB, OG, ILB, WR, and OT) in the first 4 picks. 

So ideally we would trade back, pick up a 3rd and have 5 picks in the first 4 rounds to address the top 5 needs (if the draft falls that way...which it never does). Then use the 5th-7th on depth or a real punter.

Forget the needs , we have to draft the BPA at 8. If we add a Fitzpatrick, he upgrades Amos with a play maker.

If we draft Ward. he upgrades Prince at CB. 

If we draft Edmunds, he takes Lynches place.

The point is , you need to draft play makers no matter what position, it makes the D or O better.

Amos or Kwiat are starter quality players in the NFL but they are not difference makers, we need to upgrade any position that makes us better.

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

Edmunds will take over for Kwitkowski, and eventually Trevathan when he slows down.

I’m down with that.  I wish there were some Rueben Foster like player coming out this year.  But Emunds looks like he’d fit the bill. 

Of course Rashaan Evans from Bama is close.  I sure hope Pace makes right and gets at least one Bama player again. 

I just read that Ereck Flowers the LT that Solder will take over for is available for trade. He is 24 but graded out bad his first three years as a LT. I read his draft profile and he was looked at for both OG and OT positions. I wonder if they would take a 4th pick in a trade for a player they are moving on from. Plug in into LG position and let HH work with him. He was a #9 draft pick in the year he was drafted. 

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I just read that Ereck Flowers the LT that Solder will take over for is available for trade. He is 24 but graded out bad his first three years as a LT. I read his draft profile and he was looked at for both OG and OT positions. I wonder if they would take a 4th pick in a trade for a player they are moving on from. Plug in into LG position and let HH work with him. He was a #9 draft pick in the year he was drafted. 

He is awful. If he worked at G the Giants would have tried him there. No thanks. 

14 hours ago, dawhizz said:

He is awful. If he worked at G the Giants would have tried him there. No thanks. 

I can't imagine the Giants get anything beyond a conditional 6th or 7th Rd pick for him.  I'd make it conditional on him being a starter.