Pick #51 Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis

adam

Bears trade up and get a highly productive WR. This has Nagy written all over it. Smith was for Fangio, Daniels was for Hiestand, and Miller was for Nagy.

The Bears traded #105 (4th rounder) and next year's 2nd for #51. Based on how they value draft picks where next year's are worth one round less, we won the trade (in terms of value). 

He's not as big as Meredith but the way he can run routes with quickness in his cuts is similar.  He's bigger than I thought.  I didn't watch much film on him before that draft but in the short draft highlights I can see his quickness to separate.  Adding him in the mix with all the other talent we have is going to be a very good thing.  I can see him becoming Trubisky's favorite target.  That's in part because of the attention Robinson will draw, and Gabriel, and Cohen when he's out there.  Miller is going to reliably get open and quickly, and we are going to be very multiple in the ways we can attack a defense.   Our defense is going to know how different this offense is very early in camp.  

For everybody that complains about losing the draft capital over this pick.

We lose a 2nd next year, BUT we get one this year. What you have to look at ,we get a guy that they wanted, is a perfect fit to this offense, adds the missing piece to make this offense go, we get to develop him for one year, and get to have his services this year. 

How does that compare to a 2nd next year? a future with no value this year.

So what it amounts to is we gave a 4th and we had an extra 4th this year.

He has been compared to Antonio Brown by several scouts. Short area quickness, chip on his shoulder attitude, YAC ability, and fight for the ball attitude. 

If he is 60% of A. Brown, we robbed this player.

I think he ends up being MT go to guy in this offense, if not this year next. A move the chains kind of guy. 4.46 to 4.50 speed, good enough, AB was 4.56 coming out.

On 4/28/2018 at 8:23 AM, Stinger226 said:

For everybody that complains about losing the draft capital over this pick.

We lose a 2nd next year, BUT we get one this year. What you have to look at ,we get a guy that they wanted, is a perfect fit to this offense, adds the missing piece to make this offense go, we get to develop him for one year, and get to have his services this year. 

How does that compare to a 2nd next year? a future with no value this year.

So what it amounts to is we gave a 4th and we had an extra 4th this year.

He has been compared to Antonio Brown by several scouts. Short area quickness, chip on his shoulder attitude, YAC ability, and fight for the ball attitude. 

If he is 60% of A. Brown, we robbed this player.

I think he ends up being MT go to guy in this offense, if not this year next. A move the chains kind of guy. 4.46 to 4.50 speed, good enough, AB was 4.56 coming out.

His quickness in his cuts is similar to A. Brown.  Ultimately that is what creates separation far more often than straight line speed.  

In reflecting on this pick a bit I suspect this is the end of Kevin White.  The Bears had a minicamp and Nagy got to see White running routes, which he's never shown he's good at, and a week later we trade into the 2nd Rd to draft a WR.  This was done after we reportedly tried to trade back into the 1st Rd to draft Calvin Ridley.   The decision to make a trade for a WR and give up one of next years picks in exchange was made before the draft.  I think the goal was to get 3 picks in the first 3 Rds, keeping his blue chance a blue chip prospect at #8, finding a good Oline prospect in Rd 2, and the WR, and Pace did that.  They just needed to find a partner and the right prospect in the area they could trade up into.   Kevin White likely sticks around until camp but I won't be surprised to see Pace trade him for anything he can get before the season starts.  

The unknown here is, does Nagy upgrade the play of White? I do not think they can count on him, but he is still a blue chip prospect that got robbed of development because of injuries. It is still possible he could be something. We have the right coaching staff in place to make that happen. Just think if he becomes 90% of what he was suppose to be, we will have the best WRs in the league, or at least top 5. The best trait for Miller I like is his desire to get the ball, he will dog fight to get that ball. I feel he may end up being one of the best WRs in the league and when they talk about a trade up, he may have been the WR we were trading up for. It is obvious to see we wanted him very bad.

16 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The unknown here is, does Nagy upgrade the play of White? I do not think they can count on him, but he is still a blue chip prospect that got robbed of development because of injuries. It is still possible he could be something. We have the right coaching staff in place to make that happen. Just think if he becomes 90% of what he was suppose to be, we will have the best WRs in the league, or at least top 5. The best trait for Miller I like is his desire to get the ball, he will dog fight to get that ball. I feel he may end up being one of the best WRs in the league and when they talk about a trade up, he may have been the WR we were trading up for. It is obvious to see we wanted him very bad.

If he was the target of the trade up in  round one, they would have taken him at 39. A couple of sources indicated that the target was Ridley was the target for the round 1 trade up.

3 hours ago, Pixote said:

I found this article on Anthony Miller on NBC Sports Chicago website. I loved it and thought I would give you the link in case you have not had a chance to read it. Good Stuff! Very encouraging!

One reason why Anthony Miller may be on the route to immediate success in the NFL

Thanks Pix! Hope you're feeling OK.

Thanks BFNYC, I'm doing okay. Have been recovering from a nasty burn on my chest. Finally got my walking papers from the wound center today. I guess you can say I'm on probation. It's been a rough year, one thing after another. I don't understand. I'm not under contract with the Bears. How come I'm always on the disabled list? :lol:

4 hours ago, Pixote said:

I found this article on Anthony Miller on NBC Sports Chicago website. I loved it and thought I would give you the link in case you have not had a chance to read it. Good Stuff! Very encouraging!

One reason why Anthony Miller may be on the route to immediate success in the NFL

I haven't seen this one yet, thanks for sharing Pix!  I picked Miller as my favorite pick because I seen him similiar to Antonio Brown WR back  November and I did not want a round 1 WR. 

48 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Thanks BFNYC, I'm doing okay. Have been recovering from a nasty burn on my chest. Finally got my walking papers from the wound center today. I guess you can say I'm on probation. It's been a rough year, one thing after another. I don't understand. I'm not under contract with the Bears. How come I'm always on the disabled list? :lol:

I dunno brother, maybe you're prepaying some karma for some really good news :)

12 hours ago, Pixote said:

Glad you're doing well Pix!