Your favorite pick of the draft?

adam

Your favorite Bears pick of the draft  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your favorite Bears draft pick?

• #8 Roquan Smith, OLB, Georgia
    • #39 James Daniels, C, Iowa
    • #51 Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis
    • #115 Joel Iyiegbuniwe, LB, Western Kentucky
    • #145 Bilal Nichols, DT, Delaware
    • #181 Kylie Fitts, DE, Utah
    • #224 Javon Wims, WR, Georgia

A lot of picks to like, obviously Smith is a great pick, but for some reason the Miller pick is sticking with me. The more I read about the kid, I am sold and think he will turn out to be a long-time starter for the franchise.

Miller was totally off of my radar. When they picked him that was the first I'd personally heard of him.

And you all know I wanted Edmunds, so I guess it took me a moment of inertia to switch my outlook. I'm all in on Roquan Smith, and I'm glad we picked an ILB.

But I'm with you guys. I don't know why, but I'm somehow really excited for Miller. I can't figure out exactly why that's happened. I'm not even so blown away by his film. He's just productive as hell, and if he can keep it up, then he and Cohen and Gabriel can show the world something about being players that may not have ideal measurables, but just play the hell out of some football.

And I'm excited for Smith too.

And Robinson. I don't think there's been anywhere near enough enthusiasm for that signing.

We have the firepower to build a really good offense.

And one more thing - if we do what it looks like were going to, and play the style we are tooling up for, Trubisky will erase Jay Cutler from the Bears QB record books. Cuz for real, that was brutal.

As much as I liked our 1st round selection, I'd have preferred Edmunds over Smith. Hopefully I'm wrong. I think Smith will be good but I thought Edmunds would've been better. Pace/Nagy/Fangio thought otherwise. I trust their judgment.

I'm sure Pace/Nage/and HH all felt Daniels was the best OL prospect available at the time we picked in the second. I just don't know much about him other than there is a possible question with his knees. 

So I chose Anthony Miller as my favorite as I think he will kick ass in the Nagy Offensive Scheme and will be needed, especially if any injuries occur to our WRs during the season (almost a given).

Smith hands down is (IMHO) the most exciting pick. Similar to Pix I’d have been ok with Edmunds too.  But after hearing Smith in post-draft interviews I’m sold.

My very close second liked choice would be the last pick Wims.  I have this sneaky suspicion that either Robinson or White won’t be available (hopefully not at the same time) and that’s where Wims will come in.  To do what he did last year in Georgia is pretty impressive. (thanks Ashkum for the insight). 

Let's just say I was sitting on the couch with my 2 sons watching the draft and building soldier Field Lego set when I looked up and saw we were on the clock. I told the boys to shut up because it was going to be a WR. I just knew it. As soon as they announced the pick I just lost it yelling from excitement. Been a very long time since I've been able to do that. Next thing I know my fiance is yelling at me because I woke up my daughter lol. Oops. I got a little excited I guess. 

Kylie Fitts.  Never even heard of him until we drafted him but after watching film for a few games I think he easily has 2nd/3rd Rd talent.  At a minimum he's a good rotational player but I believe he has the talent to develop into a starter at OLB.  Can he stay healthy?  We'll see but the foot injury is far enough in the past for that to be completely behind him.  The other shoulder sprains and such  that hindered his play last year weren't big issues that will affect him at all long term much less this offseason.   He's not the springy Leonard Floyd who will cover RBs out of the backfield but as the counter to him he's a much better fit at OLB than either of Willie Young or Houston.  He can convert speed to power but has enough burst, (1.68 10yd split) and bend (6.88 3-cone ) to get around the edge and all that shows up in games.  FWIW he's faster, quicker, and more agile than Aldon Smith but he doesn't have the same arm length.  I have to consider value for this "favorite draft pick" question and for a 6th Rd pick I'm really happy with this one.   

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kylie-fitts?id=32462018-0002-5598-079b-d547fbe41b3d

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/aldon-smith?id=2495487  

The NFL standard for pass rushers...Von Miller

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/von-miller?id=2495202

and just for grins see how he compares to 1st Rd pick Marcus Davenport athletically..

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/marcus-davenport?id=32462018-0002-5598-1759-f09cd314cad6

I as everyone else complained that in the 4th round when they took the ILB that baffled me they didnt go edge. Armstrong and Sweat went later in the round and I thought those were much better choices. If you look closer at all of their draft profiles, there is very little difference in all three of these players. Armstrong is slower, Sweat lacks some of the burst, production for one year for both were better, but overall, not a whole lot of difference in all three and Fitts they got in round 6. I would say they did not rate the value at that spot in the draft much better and thought they could get Fitts later. Of course Fitts has durablity concerns but the others are not far behind in areas of health. If Fitts stays healthy he may have similar careers at a better value. A lot of ifs will all, but they may have choose wisely and we just do not know what the value of Joel I. will have. Time will tell.

I went with Anthony Miller WR even though it was close or even with Roquan Smith. I think Miller will become a favorite target with Robinson drawing extra attention and he will put up monster numbers. It is hard to take Daniels lightly also, he was a steal. Hearing Pace take about Iggy, makes me think he will become something special too. He stayed true to his value board and didn't pass on him even though he had Smith. 

Roquan. I didn't want an ILB in the first, and I think going a different direction would have benefited the team more overall, but I think he can do great things for the team. I'm predicting 100+ tackles rookie year.

It was a tough choice for me between Smith and Miller.  I gave the edge due to where he was taken and it's who I wanted at #8 once the Colts took Nelson.  I'm really glad Pace went with the clear blue chipper rather than get cute at #8.

I love the Miller pick and the move up shows there was conviction about him.  So much to like about this kid.  He is confident but not cocky, he's worked hard to get where he is and be in a position to get drafted.  He has huge hands, good body control, and he is a very good route runner (less and less common among rookie WR's) which will help him at the next level.

The later in the draft the less I knew about the prospects.  Plus this years draft coincided with my wife and I taking a vacation to Hocking Hills, Ohio.  In our cabin there was no cell signal or wi-fi.  Fortunately the wife let me watch round one on NFLN.  I wasn't around a TV when Round 2 & 3 or for round 4-7.  So I had to track it on my phone whenever we were in civilization lol

9 hours ago, jason said:

Roquan. I didn't want an ILB in the first, and I think going a different direction would have benefited the team more overall, but I think he can do great things for the team. I'm predicting 100+ tackles rookie year.

A problem you would have as a GM is you would draft to need, instead of the best players available. So the way the draft fell, who would you have took? Nelson was gone, the next best OG was Hernandez, or would you have drafted Mike McG? Or took Ripley/because we needed another WR. Landry or Davenport? At 8 that would have been a huge reach. 

26 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

A problem you would have as a GM is you would draft to need, instead of the best players available. So the way the draft fell, who would you have took? Nelson was gone, the next best OG was Hernandez, or would you have drafted Mike McG? Or took Ripley/because we needed another WR. Landry or Davenport? At 8 that would have been a huge reach. 

To be honest, I wanted Edmunds because of all the intangibles he has. Fitzpatrick was close because he also had intangibles to play basically any position in the backfield. This doesnt mean I dont like Roquan, it was me over thinking his position and wanting that bigger profile with speed who could be lined up in or outside. Looking at it now, I believe they made the right choice because Roquan can lead, has better instincts, and should be a top ILB year in and out for a decade. I admit I had no idea what Pace would do because of who was slotted around 8 but know now he did the best thing.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

His weight at the combine was 236, I think sometimes when they list weights it comes from their college bios.

As long as he can play around mid-230's he should be ok.  If he can't hold that weight his durability could be a big problem.  

18 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

It wouldn't be pure BPA or pure need. Pure BPA is stupid, because it could potentially have left a team like the Bears picking another QB. But pure need is also stupid, because it causes someone to reach.

As for who I would have picked, I would have tried my damnedest to trade back. There were willing teams. If nobody would make a trade, it would have been between Smith, McGlinchey, and Minkah. Gun to my head I would have probably have picked McG. I think Minkah would upgrade either safety spot, but I like Amos and Eddie. So he's out. That leaves Smith and McG, and the upgrade from either is significant. Ultimately, however, the Bears just picked a QB that needs everything possible around him to ensure he succeeds. That includes protection on the edges. McG (who would have been a slight reach) starts day one and is better than either Bears OT starter.

2 hours ago, jason said:

It wouldn't be pure BPA or pure need. Pure BPA is stupid, because it could potentially have left a team like the Bears picking another QB. But pure need is also stupid, because it causes someone to reach.

As for who I would have picked, I would have tried my damnedest to trade back. There were willing teams. If nobody would make a trade, it would have been between Smith, McGlinchey, and Minkah. Gun to my head I would have probably have picked McG. I think Minkah would upgrade either safety spot, but I like Amos and Eddie. So he's out. That leaves Smith and McG, and the upgrade from either is significant. Ultimately, however, the Bears just picked a QB that needs everything possible around him to ensure he succeeds. That includes protection on the edges. McG (who would have been a slight reach) starts day one and is better than either Bears OT starter.

Ok, so youre on the record now, saying you'd bet your first round draft pick on Mike McGlinchey.

And youre sure he is the guy.

And meanwhile he had one of the best guards in years playing right next to him, AND the Bears have his coach, the best OL coach in all of football, on the staff too, and yet they didn't take him.

3 hours ago, jason said:

When  I say BPA, none of the QBs were worthy of a top 10 pick. They were all over drafted and that will prove out. If Barkley was there, I wouldnt have liked it but he would be a upgrade over Howard. I suspect if he was there, they would have got a kings ransom to trade back, so they wouldnt have ended up with him anyways. I think McGlinchey ends up being a good starter, but I do not see many pro bowls in his future, so even though it would have be a upgrade over Massie, he was not a good value at 8. The problem in this years draft is Nelson was the only one worthy of a top 10 pick. Someone along the way will play above his picked spot and be real good on the OL, but I do not think McG would be one of them. 

16 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

Ok, so youre on the record now, saying you'd bet your first round draft pick on Mike McGlinchey.

And youre sure he is the guy.

And meanwhile he had one of the best guards in years playing right next to him, AND the Bears have his coach, the best OL coach in all of football, on the staff too, and yet they didn't take him.

You can twist words however you want. Nobody can prove an impossibility. In any situation. Nobody can speak to the true what if of a reorganized draft where McGlinchey is on the Bears and Roquan is on the Niners. Or any other situation. It's stupid because you can't prove it one way or the other. All you or anyone else can do is speak to the player on the team they go to.

As for the last sentence, c'mon. You know damn well there are multiple heads in that room, and some are louder than others, and some win the argument. This happened over and over with Lovie ignoring O to grab D.

15 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

When  I say BPA, none of the QBs were worthy of a top 10 pick. They were all over drafted and that will prove out. If Barkley was there, I wouldnt have liked it but he would be a upgrade over Howard. I suspect if he was there, they would have got a kings ransom to trade back, so they wouldnt have ended up with him anyways. I think McGlinchey ends up being a good starter, but I do not see many pro bowls in his future, so even though it would have be a upgrade over Massie, he was not a good value at 8. The problem in this years draft is Nelson was the only one worthy of a top 10 pick. Someone along the way will play above his picked spot and be real good on the OL, but I do not think McG would be one of them. 

Agree almost entirely. I am just a little higher on McG than some others. I think he'll turn into an above average player with some accolades. He wasn't great value at #8, but he was good value. I think his upgrade over either OT on the Bears would have helped the team more than upgrading ILB, where I think Kwiatkoski has some more upside. (BTW - You could look back and see that I liked Kwiatkoski before he was drafted, so this isn't a shock that I support him.)

11 minutes ago, jason said:

You can twist words however you want. Nobody can prove an impossibility. In any situation. Nobody can speak to the true what if of a reorganized draft where McGlinchey is on the Bears and Roquan is on the Niners. Or any other situation. It's stupid because you can't prove it one way or the other. All you or anyone else can do is speak to the player on the team they go to.

As for the last sentence, c'mon. You know damn well there are multiple heads in that room, and some are louder than others, and some win the argument. This happened over and over with Lovie ignoring O to grab D.

LOL, imagine a GM saying this. Youd be all over that.

Boy are you a meathead.

The problem is to have draft value, it depends on where you draft him. MIke McG in the second , you would be considered very smart. I hope he does well, but I think this will be the last time we pick that low for quite awhile and they wanted a blue chip playmaker. Mike McG would have started this year as an upgrade over Massie, but he will take a few years to get stronger and learn the NFL. I think they took a play maker in Smith that will be the leader of our D for years to come will have many pro bowls and will make everyone around him better. We have two ILB starters that neither one played a full year. Trevathan has missed 11 games in two years, so I think it was definitely a need position after pass rush and OL. I think it was about having an impact if the first few years, and Mike McG will be a starter for a long time, but will never impact the OL like a Nelson would have. They made the best choice to make the team better.