Roster and needs

ASHKUM BEAR

Now that the draft is complete and the Bears have added a handful of playmakers this offseason, there still are a few voids I thought may be been addressed but have not.  I suspect they may keep a close eye on the players cut/waivers and maybe bring in more UDFA's.  If not filled this season, it will be priorities for next.

OT - Unless Morgan plays OT, it seems we are light going into camp here. This position will be thinner at years end also because Massie's contract will expire.  I thought it might be a position they filled in the draft this year and was watching for Tyrell Crosby.  As of now, this has to be in consideration for the 1st RD pick in 2019.  Taylor Lewan or Jake Matthews would be good candidates in FA after the season. 

OLB - The Bears added Kylie Fitts in the 6th RD and Aaron Lynch in FA, but it is still not a position of strength.  UDFA's added were Norris, Trumbetti, Walker, and Rotini to see if any can stick.  I suspect if no one steps up, this will be another position addressed in FA or high in the draft.  Clowney and Shaq Barrett are a few interesting FA's that could be available next off season.

NT - Depends on Eddie Goldman, if he re-signs it will be mute.  If they cannot meet in terms, NT will be a high priority.  Nichols who was a 5th RD selection might be able to fill in but might need some added muscle to man the NT.

S - Depends on Adrian Amos. They still might look for an upgrade but if they re-sign him it is less priority.

CB - The Bears seem content with Fuller and Prince going into the season.  They added Tolliver, Joseph, and Fant in  UDFA, who will bring competition.  This position might be locked down for 2 years but I projected a mid rounder to be brought in to develop. Tolliver may end up being that guy.

That list is getting shorter each offseason.  IMO Lynch, Fitts, Floyd, and Acho has the potential to be a good group of OLBs.  I wouldn't mind bringing in Houston for competition, or backup insurance, through camp.  

Who on the roster may step forward to make the position less of a need.

S- Deon Bush and D. Hall are both in need of taking a step forward to help secure a roster spot improve the position. Amos also needs to keep getting better, or this will be a position we have to address next year.

NT- They will lock up Goldman, they have enough money left to offer a long term contract. Jenkins is only 28 so depth will never be a problem. They brought in Nichols and Anderson after the draft, so those are 2 that have some potential to get better. Probably no needs here at all.

CB- Tolliver and Joseph both were projected as later round picks and have some upside. Mincey may develop into at least a good depth player. He has some upside.  I suspect they draft Princes replacement next year.

OLB- We dont know what we have in Kitts and Lynch and if Floyd can stay healthy all year.Nick K also will see time outside, so we will have to see if that move is favorable or not. We will need to address the position every year until we find enough talent to make it a strength. 

OT- This is the position we definitely have to address.  We complain because they did not address it but if they did not have a player rated high enough to pick, just drafting a guy is kinda of dumb. We always look at need when we look at who we should draft, but if their board has a player significantly higher , that is who they should pick. Reaching for need gets GMs in trouble. I think we need one more swing OT yet , Sowell is just a backup but we still do not know how much an effect HH has on our entire OL. I doubt if Lee or Greene amount to anything but they are on the roster.Lets see what HH can do with our roster.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

OT- This is the position we definitely have to address.  We complain because they did not address it but if they did not have a player rated high enough to pick, just drafting a guy is kinda of dumb. We always look at need when we look at who we should draft, but if their board has a player significantly higher , that is who they should pick. Reaching for need gets GMs in trouble. I think we need one more swing OT yet , Sowell is just a backup but we still do not know how much an effect HH has on our entire OL. I doubt if Lee or Greene amount to anything but they are on the roster.Lets see what HH can do with our roster.

Like drafting McGlinchey at #9 overall?    Lynch was the darling of the draft last year.  This year he made a QB who has played 7 games the highest paid in the game.  He's followed that with drafting McGlinchey, then Dante Pettis in the 2nd Rd.   I watched Pettis quite a bit the last couple years and I like him, figured he'd be one of the 3rd Rd group of WRs.  I'm really glad they left Anthony Miller on the board because I think he has better quickness in/out of his cuts.   Pettis does have a knack for returning kicks.  

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

S- Deon Bush and D. Hall are both in need of taking a step forward to help secure a roster spot improve the position. Amos also needs to keep getting better, or this will be a position we have to address next year.

NT- They will lock up Goldman, they have enough money left to offer a long term contract. Jenkins is only 28 so depth will never be a problem. They brought in Nichols and Anderson after the draft, so those are 2 that have some potential to get better. Probably no needs here at all.

CB- Tolliver and Joseph both were projected as later round picks and have some upside. Mincey may develop into at least a good depth player. He has some upside.  I suspect they draft Princes replacement next year.

OLB- We dont know what we have in Kitts and Lynch and if Floyd can stay healthy all year.Nick K also will see time outside, so we will have to see if that move is favorable or not. We will need to address the position every year until we find enough talent to make it a strength. 

Thanks for the additional info. I wanted to get a look at the new additions on the roster and see what they may be looking for yet before the season and even afterwards.  We will be short a 2nd rd pick, which is fine if Miller comes through, which as of today looks slotted to go to a OT if I had my choice. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Cliff Avril just got released from Sea. Injured last year, but if his health checks out, at 30 could give a prove it contract and add another body to the mix.

I seen that.  I think between Willie Young, Lamar Houston, Junior Gallette, and now Avril we should see one brought in.  As for OT, I would like to see HH kick the tires on Greg Robinson. A former 1st RD pick, he might be worthless or maybe the right coach can get him to reach his potential. If they fill those two voids, I would feel much better about team depth.

17 minutes ago, lemonej said:

With Erik Flowers and the Giants at odds that could be a possibility. The Giants declined picking up his 5th year option and he is reportedly upset at being switched to ROT because of their trade for Nate Solder.

He shouldn't be upset at all because he still has a job. I want nothing to do with him though.  

On 5/2/2018 at 4:09 AM, Stinger226 said:

I agree with the need for depth at Safety, we need one of the backups to show some promise this year.  As far as Amos goes, last year I felt having Eddie Jackson on the field for deep coverage would help him and I believe it did.  Amos was able to focus more on the short to intermediate area, more of what's in front of him, where he's at his best.  This year I believe adding Roquan Smith is another piece that improves safety play, and really the DBs across the board.  Between Smith, Trevathan, and Floyd we have 3 LBs who can cover a lot of space, not mention staying with TEs or RBs in coverage.  The DBs can focus a bit longer on their assignments.  If we lose a player (we will),  that surrounding talent will help mask issues when we have some backups on the field.   

If we get a surprise in pass rush help (RRH, Bullard, Fitts) that takes it up a notch as well.   It might even be Lynch who surprises us.  He sounded pretty motivated to work with Fangio again.   And if two of these players can get consistent pass rush we're in a very good spot defensively.   

The depth issue at OT is why I think we kept Sims around.  We have Sims and Shaheen to help with inline blocking, if desired, with Shaheen also being a good receiving option.  Every team has roster deficiencies at certain spots, this is ours on offense.  We have enough weapons, really diverse weapons, and the coaches who I believe will know how to use them to attack a defense differently each week.  It will come down to how quickly Trubisky can learn it all and if he can improve his footwork.  He's already been working on his mechanics this offseason so there's reason for optimism there.    

Starting next week we have about a month of OTAs to kick off the process.  I already have my tickets for the Cards game.  

I think with more speed at ILB with Smith and later with Iggy that they will figure in the pass rush. Iggy is a Smith light and could eventually be as productive. The more I read about both of them the more you think they could be huge for the defense. I think we are in a 4-2-5 a lot. If anyone goes down, it will be lost time for Floyd or Trevanthan . If we have more speed in LBers it will be huge for our defense to defend and get a pass rush out of the front 4. With , Hicks-Goldman-(Bullard-RHH)-Floyd or Lynch. I think the overall defense gets better. Also we have to look at the defense being better by playing together for another year. If we have many starters out with injury at the same time again, it will affect the overall result but with better depth, it should help.

Also we do not know what they think of the safety depth of the Ss we have on the roster. D. Hall, Houston-Carson, and Deon Bush.

They may see one or all are ready to take a step forward. We assume they do not matter, but they may be in play.