Ryan Nall next Cohen?

ASHKUM BEAR

13 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Ok for the sake of argument, explain to me the differences.  Especially in relation to how this offense will spotlight them or that. 

Stinger even said that Cohen ‘put on 10 lbs this winter’ and thus cannot be compared to a player like Gabriel because he’s not ‘close in strength’.  Is strength a skill set or physical ability? 

And are not the measurables I provided an example of measured skills and abilities?  

13 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Ok for the sake of argument, explain to me the differences.  Especially in relation to how this offense will spotlight them or that. 

Stinger even said that Cohen ‘put on 10 lbs this winter’ and thus cannot be compared to a player like Gabriel because he’s not ‘close in strength’.  Is strength a skill set or physical ability? 

And are not the measurables I provided an example of measured skills and abilities?  

Liken it to having a 10 cock and not being able to please a woman.  The physical piece is there, while using it well is the skill set.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Interesting take.  Perhaps you’re confusing the difference between having one and being one?

That being said, the point is that Cohen does not have a unique skill set.  How he uses them, and his newer found strength, in a different offense against other players that were mostly not on the team last year; remains to be seen. 

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

May I suggest you watch game film. If you use stats to compare all players then that would mean that they all would have the same results or play the same. Take a moment and watch film on all the players you suggest are better. You will notice a difference, football intelligence can not be measured in stats. He is a special player, this year you will notice a offense that uses his talent much differently.

You’re suggesting I watch highlight film on each player? Thought you weren’t a supporter of that. 

And for the record I didn’t necessarily relate to stats but instead measured results in comparable skill tests. 

Will Cohen have special moments?  Probably.  Will he be the most special player on the team?  Doubtful. 

9 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

You’re suggesting I watch highlight film on each player? Thought you weren’t a supporter of that. 

And for the record I didn’t necessarily relate to stats but instead measured results in comparable skill tests. 

Will Cohen have special moments?  Probably.  Will he be the most special player on the team?  Doubtful. 

I think Nagy will use Cohen a little more than he was last year, but this team's most special player is Trubisky.  He needs to operate the offense in perfection then distribute the ball to a handful of talented players around him. If Cohen averaged 5-8 touches last year (estimate and probably less), I dont see him getting more than 10-12 this. 

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think Nagy will use Cohen a little more than he was last year, but this team's most special player is Trubisky.  He needs to operate the offense in perfection then distribute the ball to a handful of talented players around him. If Cohen averaged 5-8 touches last year (estimate and probably less), I dont see him getting more than 10-12 this. 

Agreed.  (Wish there was a way to ‘like’ comments on this new format.)  I would hope that Trubisky does exactly as you suggest.  The WCO with some zone runs thrown in for Howard will make things a bit less likely for Trubisky to fail.  Should be fun to watch. 

I don't care about the dick measuring contest, because I don't want to cause anyone else inadequacy issues.

However, Cohen is a very rare back in terms of skillset. What he can do can't be measured. There is no "puts LB on skates"-measurement.

Also, I don't think Nall is very special. He doesn't look fast at all. Much less explosive. I don't think he'll make the team, because Cunningham looked great in limited touches (particularly receptions) last year.

16 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Interesting take.  Perhaps you’re confusing the difference between having one and being one?

That being said, the point is that Cohen does not have a unique skill set.  How he uses them, and his newer found strength, in a different offense against other players that were mostly not on the team last year; remains to be seen. 

The point is, he does have a special skill set, you notice most people disagree with you, but it is best to make these statements now because when the season starts, you will be silenced by the results. He is not a league leading RB type, Howard is the best RB on the team, but he is a special player that will be used as a weapon in Nagy's offense. His size limits his being used as a 3 down back but on a limited basis, he will preform well. Come back to this subject after the 5 or 6th game so we can see you try to defend your opinion.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The point is, he does have a special skill set, you notice most people disagree with you, but it is best to make these statements now because when the season starts, you will be silenced by the results. He is not a league leading RB type, Howard is the best RB on the team, but he is a special player that will be used as a weapon in Nagy's offense. His size limits his being used as a 3 down back but on a limited basis, he will preform well. Come back to this subject after the 5 or 6th game so we can see you try to defend your opinion.

For record, we don't know what Cohen would/could do with a full run as the primary back. He's limited by touches because of what the coaches believe will happen if he gets a full load. He seemed to carry the load pretty well in college for four years. Roughly 20 carries a game.

He's small in stature, but he's one of those guys who doesn't take massive hits because of his speed, dexterity, center of gravity, height, etc.

23 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

From what I saw his 3 cone drill was from a pro day.  

Ill agree that Cohen could be a decent  back. He was fun to watch last year and similar to Hunt, other teams will figure him out. 

Cohen is not at all similar to Kareem Hunt, neither in ability or style of play.   Hunt is much closer in running style and ability to Howard than Cohen, actually very similar.  Receiving is a different story because Hunt can flip his hips and catch at the same time.  

13 minutes ago, jason said:

For record, we don't know what Cohen would/could do with a full run as the primary back. He's limited by touches because of what the coaches believe will happen if he gets a full load. He seemed to carry the load pretty well in college for four years. Roughly 20 carries a game.

He's small in stature, but he's one of those guys who doesn't take massive hits because of his speed, dexterity, center of gravity, height, etc.

True but we do know that he does not have the same vision for zone blocking runs as Howard.  That was obvious last year when too often Cohen turned back and tried to go the other way only to end up taking a loss.  Hopefully an offseason to review his film helps.  

11 hours ago, jason said:

I don't care about the dick measuring contest, because I don't want to cause anyone else inadequacy issues.

However, Cohen is a very rare back in terms of skillset. What he can do can't be measured. There is no "puts LB on skates"-measurement.

Also, I don't think Nall is very special. He doesn't look fast at all. Much less explosive. I don't think he'll make the team, because Cunningham looked great in limited touches (particularly receptions) last year.

Take a look at his measurables.  He has speed and gets up to it pretty quick. Now imagine him in the Kelce/Burton role while also lining up at RB.

6'-3" 230   31-1/2" arms  and 10-1/2" hands.  The dude is bigger than most...RBs

Broad jump - 122"  = 13 RBs beat him

Verticle       -  33" = 9 beat him

3 Cone - 6.95  5 RBs beat him - top half for WR/TEs

20 time - 4.16     3 RBs beat him   - this is near the top for WR/TE's also

40 Time - 4.58  = 13 RBs beat him -

60 time - 11.57   1 RB beat him- this would be top WR/TEs also.

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Cohen is not at all similar to Kareem Hunt, neither in ability or style of play.   Hunt is much closer in running style and ability to Howard than Cohen, actually very similar.  Receiving is a different story because Hunt can flip his hips and catch at the same time.  

You’re right.  I meant to compare Cohen more to Tyreek Hill not Hunt.  Although listed as a WR he gets a fair amount of touches from the backfield.  I had my ‘H’ - backs mixed up. 

Although your case for Hunt is more in line with how similar he is with Howard.  Thus dismissing, or at least diminishing the nay-sayers on whether Howard would work in Nagys offense.  

5 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

You’re right.  I meant to compare Cohen more to Tyreek Hill not Hunt.  Although listed as a WR he gets a fair amount of touches from the backfield.  I had my ‘H’ - backs mixed up. 

Although your case for Hunt is more in line with how similar he is with Howard.  Thus dismissing, or at least diminishing the nay-sayers on whether Howard would work in Nagys offense.  

As a runner Howard is a perfect fit for the zone runs Nagy wants to do.  If only Howard was a bit more adept at the receiving side we'd be in business.  For now I think we're in a good spot with Howard and hopefully he'll take another step up with his receiving skills this year.      

52 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

As a runner Howard is a perfect fit for the zone runs Nagy wants to do.  If only Howard was a bit more adept at the receiving side we'd be in business.  For now I think we're in a good spot with Howard and hopefully he'll take another step up with his receiving skills this year.      

I bet he is working hard on that end and will show up this season.  I cannot remember the last time the Bears had an arsenal of offensive weapons like this before. Howard, Robinson, Burton, Cohen, Gabrial, Miller, Shaheen, White are all guys who could blow up.  The defense keys on one guy, go option b,c,d..etc

• 2 months later...

Pulled this up, maybe a little early, but Nall had a okay to bad first game and a stellar second game. He is proving he can block from the back field also.  A few people have projected he makes the 53 as RB, and cutting M Burton. Holding out hope, but I want to see this kid shine.  I should be able to actually watch the next game. 

5 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Pulled this up, maybe a little early, but Nall had a okay to bad first game and a stellar second game. He is proving he can block from the back field also.  A few people have projected he makes the 53 as RB, and cutting M Burton. Holding out hope, but I want to see this kid shine.  I should be able to actually watch the next game. 

It's his versatility that makes him an intriguing addition to the offense.  From RB, to FB, to h-back or U-TE  there's nothing great but a lot of good. If he can handle the special teams roles well then there's a lot of value in having someone so like that at the bottom of the roster.  

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think he put that game together. Not only at RB, but looked good at FB too ....while also doing well on ST.  

Yeah, there is no way he is making it to the Practice Squad. If he doesn't make the 53-man, someone else will pick him up. Too many needy teams out there, and he is young and will only get better.

6 hours ago, adam said:

Yeah, there is no way he is making it to the Practice Squad. If he doesn't make the 53-man, someone else will pick him up. Too many needy teams out there, and he is young and will only get better.

I think he has more potential than Mizzell or Davis.  He would make my 53-man roster. 

Peace