Ryan Nall next Cohen?

ASHKUM BEAR

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think they keep him instead of Burton as a FB. Adds more versatility   at that position. If Howard would get injured, he would be more suited for the starter role than Cohen or Cunningham. 

Last week I was leaning toward Burton but after listening to Nagy talk about the RB depth in camp, and then mention Cohen as an afterthought I changed my mind.  With Nagy it seems he feels Cohen is more of a "slash" player RB/slot WR.  Cohen will get some carries out of the backfield but I didn't get the sense that Nagy views him as the primary backup RB to Howard.  In other words Howard's backup is really Cunningham and with that he'd split similar reps with Cohen in the same way as Howard did.   

With that I now think it makes more sense that we keep Nall over Burton.  Nall is more versatile and if he can provide enough as a FB to keep us gaining yards in tough short yardage situations then it's a win win IMO.  Nall has proven he has enough speed to get deep.  He looks slow but that's in part because of his size.  He's not elite fast, but look at the smaller players working hard trying to catch him, and those who can't.   Where FB Burton will more or less tip off the direction of the play, a guy like Nall who can run routes well and catch could be a decoy to get the LB to come up hard at the LOS and then he runs right past them wide open for a big gain.  

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/31/2018 at 10:15 AM, AZ54 said:

Last week I was leaning toward Burton but after listening to Nagy talk about the RB depth in camp, and then mention Cohen as an afterthought I changed my mind.  With Nagy it seems he feels Cohen is more of a "slash" player RB/slot WR.  Cohen will get some carries out of the backfield but I didn't get the sense that Nagy views him as the primary backup RB to Howard.  In other words Howard's backup is really Cunningham and with that he'd split similar reps with Cohen in the same way as Howard did.   

With that I now think it makes more sense that we keep Nall over Burton.  Nall is more versatile and if he can provide enough as a FB to keep us gaining yards in tough short yardage situations then it's a win win IMO.  Nall has proven he has enough speed to get deep.  He looks slow but that's in part because of his size.  He's not elite fast, but look at the smaller players working hard trying to catch him, and those who can't.   Where FB Burton will more or less tip off the direction of the play, a guy like Nall who can run routes well and catch could be a decoy to get the LB to come up hard at the LOS and then he runs right past them wide open for a big gain.  

Great analysis AZ. I was onto Nall early when someone else brought him up as a potential pick. Burton is your true FB but Nall is a weapon who can do it all RB/FB/TE/WR.  He has may not have the initial burst speed but he is ranked at the top once he gets going. 

21 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Great analysis AZ. I was onto Nall early when someone else brought him up as a potential pick. Burton is your true FB but Nall is a weapon who can do it all RB/FB/TE/WR.  He has may not have the initial burst speed but he is ranked at the top once he gets going. 

and the Bears cut him, hopefully he makes it to the PS. I liked him better than Burton.