Early thoughts on training camp

AZ54

Just looking at a few photos and some of the early parts of camp a few players standout.  First is a leaner but hopefully stronger Adam Shaheen.   Leonard Floyd looks like he's finally added enough bulk  to be a more consistent threat as a pass rusher but he's still lean and should still have his quickness.  Tarik Cohen is definitely stronger this season too.  We'll see how this translates to their play on the field.   Today is the first open day of practice so we'll get plenty of reports.  

https://www.chicagobears.com/photos/practice-snaps-training-camp-day-1#ec7f2489-aacd-44df-b1dd-1c73e5a99151 

Allen Robinson and Kevin White both look good. Shaheen is getting a lot of praise and the TE group might be the best group on the team with 3 legit starters. Howard looks better catching passes and Cohen is gonna be fun. Miller made several high skill catches. He was worth the trade up to get him. I would be utterly shocked if this offense was not a top-10 offense this year. There are too many weapons and mismatches. This offense will make us forget about Alshon and Meredith really quick. 

On defense, Kyle Fuller has been making plays and UDFA Kevin Toliver has 3 INTs in 2 practices. He should replace Cooper on the 53-man roster. 

I really hope Smith's holdout doesn't go on too soon. He is missing valuable reps that you really can't make up. Not his fault but at some point you have to tell your agent to get him on the field.

23 hours ago, adam said:

Allen Robinson and Kevin White both look good. Shaheen is getting a lot of praise and the TE group might be the best group on the team with 3 legit starters. Howard looks better catching passes and Cohen is gonna be fun. Miller made several high skill catches. He was worth the trade up to get him. I would be utterly shocked if this offense was not a top-10 offense this year. There are too many weapons and mismatches. This offense will make us forget about Alshon and Meredith really quick. 

On defense, Kyle Fuller has been making plays and UDFA Kevin Toliver has 3 INTs in 2 practices. He should replace Cooper on the 53-man roster. 

I really hope Smith's holdout doesn't go on too soon. He is missing valuable reps that you really can't make up. Not his fault but at some point you have to tell your agent to get him on the field.

Good information.  I feel like there hasn’t been a ton of coverage like normal.  

I’m looking forward to attending this Friday.  

On 7/21/2018 at 12:33 PM, adam said:

Great summary, but one thing to remember is we have a young QB in a brand new system and its supposedly a pretty complex system. Lots of new parts and concepts are going to make it relatively probable for natural growing pains. I think we have to remember that and to me the big thing is seeing consistent progress and development. I don't think we'll be a top 10 unit this year but my hope is we are trending that direction by the end of the year.  Hopefully I'm wrong and you are right and we just shred like the Rams but I don't know that we should expect something like that to happen.  

9 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Great summary, but one thing to remember is we have a young QB in a brand new system and its supposedly a pretty complex system. Lots of new parts and concepts are going to make it relatively probable for natural growing pains. I think we have to remember that and to me the big thing is seeing consistent progress and development. I don't think we'll be a top 10 unit this year but my hope is we are trending that direction by the end of the year.  Hopefully I'm wrong and you are right and we just shred like the Rams but I don't know that we should expect something like that to happen.  

I agree about the offense and inconsistencies early on.  At this point I'm looking at the concepts we're practicing not so much execution.  So far we're hearing about a fair amount of 2 and 3 TE sets with a wide variety of routes being run by Sims, Shaheen, and Burton.   Everyone is getting in on the act.  Yet in some of the practice video today we see a lot of bunched up WR sets, 3 or 4 WRs on the field.  All this is a lot for Trubisky to process and then get comfortable with all those route runners.  I think we'll need to rely on the big plays early in the season and especially in week 1 against GB.  Fortunately we have plenty of options among our skill players to create big plays.   Green Bay will know to prepare for KC/Philly's offense but they really won't know where Cohen will line up and what routes he'll be running.  Does your NB cover Kevin White or Taylor Gabriel when they break the huddle?  After they shift?  Yet we still have a strong running game behind Jordan Howard.  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I don't know, I see us closer to KC and PHI than LAR. Outside of Gurley, I don't think I would take any other player off the 2017 Rams over the Bears this year.

QB: Goff vs Trubisky 
RB: Gurley/Brown vs Howard/Cohen/Cunningham
WR/TE: Kupp/Woods/Watkins/Austin/Higbee vs Robinson/Miller/Gabriel/White/Burton/Shaheen/Sims

Would you swap offenses? I wouldn't.

Now obviously everyone needs to live up to their contracts (except Sims...he is overpaid).

Can you name 10 other teams QB/RB/WR/TE that are better (or potential) than the Bears? Say list the top 10 players of each team's offensive skill positions+QB and see if you get something better than:

Trubisky/Howard/Cohen/Cunningham/Robinson/Miller/Gabriel/White/Burton/Shaheen

It's been one week and early reports from camp indicate  (and this is just my sense of what I've read and seen on short video clips). 

Kevin White.   He might not be in the elite category but he's running routes and playing well enough that he's going to see the field this year.  Probably in a rotation with Gabriel although both can be on the field at the same time.  Two years away from the game and it takes a long time to get back in the flow of things.  In some recent video clips I see him starting to return to playing with that physical edge he had in college.  There have been some drops but I believe as he plays more and more, especially as he gets hit and gains confidence in his body,  that the catching ability will improve too.  Of course he has to stay healthy but IMO he's on the right path.  

Anthony Miller.   I have no idea how well he knows the offense and his routes/assignments but his route running is causing the DB's problems every day.    It definitely appears that we drafted a very good player.  I don't want to put hopes too high on him because he still has a lot of rookie learning to do but it seems clear he'll contribute this year.  

Gabriel ... he's been ok but he's still a player who needs the scheme to help him.  Fortunately when you see the above players looking good it means there will be solid opportunities for him each game.  

Trubisky... his passes still look to me like they are too mechanical.  I just think he's still processing all the offense.  Some are criticizing him but one day you see lots of 2/3 TE sets the next day it's 4 WRs with 3 of them bunched up on one side.  He has a ton of route combinations to get comfortable with.  I also believe Nagy is at times telling him to go deep.  That has led to some forced throws but he needs to get the timing down on these deep routes.  We have 5 weeks of camp and even then early in the season I'm sure we'll see some hesitation.  Overall I think he's doing well to get even a basic grasp of all that's being thrown at him.  Reportedly some of our plays calls are 14 or 15 words long.  

James Daniels is still 2nd string behind Kush.  However, more quietly it seems Jordan Morgan is playing well.  He pancaked Goldman yesterday although I didn't see it so who knows  the real deal.  The bigger point is he's going against the 1's on defense.  With all this I'm starting to feel we'll have some good depth on the interior of the oline this season. 

Haven't heard anything good about our OTs and a few bad words about Leno have been tossed around here and there.  

Cohen... he is going to get some 1on1 chances this year and he'll make teams pay for it.  To no one's surprise he looks very good in this scheme.  

Howard is catching the ball and, more importantly, is looking like it's natural for him.  He often works after practice catching passes.  

Cunningham and Mizzell ... neither has stood out to date although it depends on who's doing the talking.  I"m not very confident in our 3rd string here.  If Cunningham struggles Mizzell could win the job because he's the better receiver.  

Shaheen...he's quicker and more agile and it shows on pass routes.  

Ryan Nall is starting to turn some heads.  Is he a FB or  H-back?  He may be someone to keep an eye on in the last couple preseason games as the battle for the last few roster spots shapes up.  

Defense: 

Floyd has looked good in pass rush.  Or is that Leno has looked bad in pass pro?  Seems to be more Floyd here.  

Kylie Fitts is turning heads already.  With our lack of proven depth at OLB we really need someone to surprise us and play well this year. 

Kyrie Irving is also improved over last year.  I'd summarize things as that he does not look like he's starter material but it seems he might someone who can contribute this year.  

Amukamara and Fuller are winning a lot of battles and getting turnovers.  Overall the secondary is good.  

Deon Bush is getting some good press from lots of sources at camp. 

Kwiatkoski is playing well but we await the return of Trevathan and of course Roquan Smith joining the team.  

Slowly coming together on these deep routes...Trubisky has been throwing too short on most deep passes that I've seen.  

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2018/7/27/17621296/chicago-bears-training-camp-live-stream-friday-open-thread-matt-nagy-ryan-pace-robert-zeglinski

"Miller gets a step on Fuller and Trubisky lays it out on a platter for an easy deep TD.
Sound day for the offense."

•  
  •  
  •  

Love all the updates! Tis the season everything gets you primed for Da Bears. 

Our inside oline depth seems over the top, wonder if we can swing a deal to a team in need. Long, Whitehair, Kush, Daniels, Morgan, Grasu.  Wish Pace would get brave on taking OTs. 

Everything I read all the the WRs look good. What if K. White turns into who he was drafted to be, we will have one of the better WR group in the NFL. Miller is a stud and will absolutely be on the field a lot. The only thing on O is the swing tackle position, do not hear much about it but could be huge if one of our average starting OTs get hurt. 

I was at camp yesterday and the pace of the practice was something I had never seen at TC before! Constant motion every team drill whether 7 on 7 or full 11 on 11 was on the 30 second clock.

There seemed to be a big emphasis on all the QBs to get the ball out quick or check down. Anthony Miller looks like we may have something and Kevin White looked like he's playing for his life.Cohen and Howard in some drills were split out wide.

Mitchell Trubisky didn't look good to me. He was throwing the ball high and Amukamara picked him twice in a 3 play span. A couple of times under duress from the rush he threw off his back foot with bad results. After hearing Nagy talk I didn't realize the players had the previous day off but, Trubisky looked a little off the whole day as some of his WRs made highlight catches. Anthony Miller continues to act like he has something to prove and Allen Robinson looked smooth and appeared to be holding back.

As for the defense the front 3 will have some real size to chose from. Hicks looks all of 330 pounds and Bilal Powell looks like a mountain. Goldman moved well but Bullard still seems like his motor is half on. WTBS this group looks poised to have a breakout year. The OLBs Lynch in shorts and watching next to Trevathan but Floyd if he is heavier it wasn't obvious to my eyes. He was moving well though and showed no ill affects of his injury though he did walk into the tent once during drills for a short time but came back out and  immediately jumped back in. As is the case in most camps and especially this one the defense looked light years ahead of the offense.

So far nothing has been mentioned about this but Grasu walked right pass me during practice in route to the locker room and seemed to be limping. As he walked past I mentioned to the group I was sitting with that I felt he was getting cut this year. He also was wearing knee braces on both knees.

Again I can't over emphasis how fast the pace of practice was. There was constant work during the whole 3 hour period and when a group wasn't participating in a drill they worked on the next field as a group. That is how I got a chance to see Floyd up close and if he is 250 it must be all muscle because only his lower base looked thicker. The OLB group as a whole looked small and more speed  focused than powerful.

1 hour ago, lemonej said:

I was at camp yesterday and the pace of the practice was something I had never seen at TC before! Constant motion every team drill whether 7 on 7 or full 11 on 11 was on the 30 second clock.

There seemed to be a big emphasis on all the QBs to get the ball out quick or check down. Anthony Miller looks like we may have something and Kevin White looked like he's playing for his life.Cohen and Howard in some drills were split out wide.

Mitchell Trubisky didn't look good to me. He was throwing the ball high and Amukamara picked him twice in a 3 play span. A couple of times under duress from the rush he threw off his back foot with bad results. After hearing Nagy talk I didn't realize the players had the previous day off but, Trubisky looked a little off the whole day as some of his WRs made highlight catches. Anthony Miller continues to act like he has something to prove and Allen Robinson looked smooth and appeared to be holding back.

As for the defense the front 3 will have some real size to chose from. Hicks looks all of 330 pounds and Bilal Powell looks like a mountain. Goldman moved well but Bullard still seems like his motor is half on. WTBS this group looks poised to have a breakout year. The OLBs Lynch in shorts and watching next to Trevathan but Floyd if he is heavier it wasn't obvious to my eyes. He was moving well though and showed no ill affects of his injury though he did walk into the tent once during drills for a short time but came back out and  immediately jumped back in. As is the case in most camps and especially this one the defense looked light years ahead of the offense.

So far nothing has been mentioned about this but Grasu walked right pass me during practice in route to the locker room and seemed to be limping. As he walked past I mentioned to the group I was sitting with that I felt he was getting cut this year. He also was wearing knee braces on both knees.

Again I can't over emphasis how fast the pace of practice was. There was constant work during the whole 3 hour period and when a group wasn't participating in a drill they worked on the next field as a group. That is how I got a chance to see Floyd up close and if he is 250 it must be all muscle because only his lower base looked thicker. The OLB group as a whole looked small and more speed  focused than powerful.

Thanks for the update.  

I have a feeling Miller is going to be something special. He is coming in with cockiness, which can worrisome, but he has to put up or shut up. So far he is earning time to possibly take the #2, splitting with Gabriel. His attitude and ability would carry him a long way.

19 hours ago, lemonej said:

Great analysis!  Thanks for sharing.   Here’s a couple thoughts:

1.   There’s been lots of talk about Trubisky’s interceptions.  As per the SCORE, Nagy is not worried about him making mistakes at this point and it should improve with some game planning.  Nothing to worry about yet. 

2.  I saw Grasu at camp last year limping around with the double knee braces.  I thought last year he’d be a long shot to make the team.  

3.  Is it faster paced then when Trestman was coaching?  

I like this about Nagy.  

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/bears-training-camp-report-observations-analysis-eighth-practice/

Other observations

After Mitch Trubisky threw interceptions to Nick Kwiatkoski, Prince Amukamara and Cre’Von LeBlanc, Nagy reiterated that he wasn’t concerned: “I love the fact that he’s trying to learn this offense and make throws. I’d rather him do that than take the five-yard check-down.’’

-----------------------------------

I haven't been to camp but on some of the videos it's obvious to me that Mitch is going to make the downfield throws.  Every play we run seems to have a checkdown option.  When you think back to Alex Smith who was known for playing it safe, it was Nagy who helped him open up his vision and make more deep passes the last couple seasons in KC.  The only way to get comfortable and get the timing down is to throw the ball that way.  We have 5 weeks of training camp, the first game is still about 40 days away.  There is plenty of time to before the season starts. 

The pace of practice was faster than I have ever seen and I went to TC going back to Lovie! The Ints are a result of the amount of plays they seem to be getting off during practice and it seems he is only getting one read and the ball comes out.With me being on vacation I will be able to see the first unit in the HOF game.