Nagy sitting starters today

Chitownhustla

I am ok with resting starters. It gives more reps to guys trying to fill out the roster. Why risk injury on a play that you might not even use in the regular season anyway?

Now we are going into GB and they have absolutely no clue what we are going to do.

I rewatched some of the game, and I would not be surprised if our top 2 WR's are Miller and Wims in a few years. They compliment each other so much.

I don't think there is a QB controversy, the team knows Daniel's limits and he is perfectly suited for spot work as a backup. It is good knowing we have a legit backup if needed.

5 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

What have you seen that convinces you that Trubisky has the job locked down?  

Considering the situation our team is in; first year coach with a new system and all it makes more sense than not to see our starters get more ‘game time’ experience or at least as much as experience as possible as we fast approach the new season. It’s not just this game that Trubisky didn’t play in but most of the others this preseason too.  And of those times he played, he looked just ok.  Yes he started last year but that was a completely different system with a completely different coaching group.  I think it was Colin Cowherd that said he can’t put a grade on Trubisky because he “doesn’t trust him”.   I’d say that’s a fair assumption based on his limited college experience, his mediocre performance last year and his next to nothing play so far in this preseason. 

Nagy is an understudy of Reid’s who is known to deploy unorthadox moves in the pre and post seasons.  So maybe that’s all this is.  And I like Nagy a lot. It’s just that once the season starts and if the team (Trubisky) struggles out of the gate, fans are going to start questioning both Trubisky and Nagy after what we’ve seen so far with this new team.

Daniels underthrew the ball to Kevin White by 10 yards.  That was not the only pass that lacked velocity.  On the flipside, go back to the Denver game and see the pass Trubisky made to Miller who was double covered. He  put that ball in a 2ft window while on the run to his left, which is very difficult to do.  Miller made a great catch too.   Also against Denver Trubisky was reading the blitzes without issue, and they brought a ton of pressure from all angles while mixing up who was dropping into coverage.    Trubisky consistently made the right reads into the coverage gap.  Is Trubisky perfect?  No, but I'll stick with the upside of the youngster versus the 10 year veteran who is already playing at his limit.   We could argue about who is playing better in this offense but for me its already Trusbisky.  Even if they were equal or nearly equal don't you think Trubisky deserves to be on the field given that Daniels has been in this offense for 5 years and Trubisky for 5 months?  

17 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Daniels underthrew the ball to Kevin White by 10 yards.  That was not the only pass that lacked velocity.  On the flipside, go back to the Denver game and see the pass Trubisky made to Miller who was double covered. He  put that ball in a 2ft window while on the run to his left, which is very difficult to do.  Miller made a great catch too.   Also against Denver Trubisky was reading the blitzes without issue, and they brought a ton of pressure from all angles while mixing up who was dropping into coverage.    Trubisky consistently made the right reads into the coverage gap.  Is Trubisky perfect?  No, but I'll stick with the upside of the youngster versus the 10 year veteran who is already playing at his limit.   We could argue about who is playing better in this offense but for me its already Trusbisky.  Even if they were equal or nearly equal don't you think Trubisky deserves to be on the field given that Daniels has been in this offense for 5 years and Trubisky for 5 months?  

Yes that one throw that Trubisky made was pretty nice.   But that was also a pretty sweet catch that Miller made, that one time.  Cutler was pretty good at occasionally throwing sweet passes too. Daniels also made some pretty nice timing drops to Wims.  I mean you gotta admit that TD pass to back corner of the endzone was pretty sweet. And yes I agree we could argue the point of who is better at what for however long.  

Do I honestly think there is a QB controversy per se?  not completely.  I’m hoping that Nagy isn’t concerned with how Trubisky has performed thus far and is covering up by “resting his starters”.  I’m one that would have liked to see Trubisky play more actual game time snaps than just a few and only at practice. Given all the considerations I listed before it’s enough for a lowly casual fan such as myself to want.  But if Nagys good with it, then by golly he’s the one making the big bucks to make those decisions. I’ll be looking forward to the game with GB to allay those concerns.  

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Yes that one throw that Trubisky made was pretty nice.   But that was also a pretty sweet catch that Miller made, that one time.  Cutler was pretty good at occasionally throwing sweet passes too. Daniels also made some pretty nice timing drops to Wims.  I mean you gotta admit that TD pass to back corner of the endzone was pretty sweet. And yes I agree we could argue the point of who is better at what for however long.  

Do I honestly think there is a QB controversy per se?  not completely.  I’m hoping that Nagy isn’t concerned with how Trubisky has performed thus far and is covering up by “resting his starters”.  I’m one that would have liked to see Trubisky play more actual game time snaps than just a few and only at practice. Given all the considerations I listed before it’s enough for a lowly casual fan such as myself to want.  But if Nagys good with it, then by golly he’s the one making the big bucks to make those decisions. I’ll be looking forward to the game with GB to allay those concerns.  

Keep in mind that everyone as learning a new offense.   Practices were rough for most of training camp and only in the last couple weeks did we start to hear that things were coming together.  That affected Daniels as well because nobody was thinking Daniels was a stud in his first two preseason games.  

5 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Keep in mind that everyone as learning a new offense.   Practices were rough for most of training camp and only in the last couple weeks did we start to hear that things were coming together.  That affected Daniels as well because nobody was thinking Daniels was a stud in his first two preseason games.  

Yep.  And for me, hearing and seeing are two separate things. And for the record I don’t think Daniel is a stud.  He definitely looked like garbage in that first outing.  But I believe he has benefited from both game action; althougbeit preseason and familiarity with this style offense in KC. 

On 8/26/2018 at 5:32 AM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

What have you seen that convinces you that Trubisky has the job locked down?  

Considering the situation our team is in; first year coach with a new system and all it makes more sense than not to see our starters get more ‘game time’ experience or at least as much as experience as possible as we fast approach the new season. It’s not just this game that Trubisky didn’t play in but most of the others this preseason too.  And of those times he played, he looked just ok.  Yes he started last year but that was a completely different system with a completely different coaching group.  I think it was Colin Cowherd that said he can’t put a grade on Trubisky because he “doesn’t trust him”.   I’d say that’s a fair assumption based on his limited college experience, his mediocre performance last year and his next to nothing play so far in this preseason. 

Nagy is an understudy of Reid’s who is known to deploy unorthadox moves in the pre and post seasons.  So maybe that’s all this is.  And I like Nagy a lot. It’s just that once the season starts and if the team (Trubisky) struggles out of the gate, fans are going to start questioning both Trubisky and Nagy after what we’ve seen so far with this new team.

Trubisky was the #2 overall draft pick last year and has gotten all of the major reps. Daniel is a career backup (albeit one with good familiarity with the systme). There is absolutely ZERO QB controversy and there shouldn't be any (no matter how much Trubisky could stink this year, you invested the #2 pick in him and need to give him his chance). By the way, lets not act like Trubisky has sucked all preseason or something either.  This is Trubisky's team and barring injury will be all year and should be next year as well (when you invest a #2 pick in a player, you stick by them and let them develop or not develop but you invest the time in them either way).  

3 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Trubisky was the #2 overall draft pick last year and has gotten all of the major reps. Daniel is a career backup (albeit one with good familiarity with the systme). There is absolutely ZERO QB controversy and there shouldn't be any (no matter how much Trubisky could stink this year, you invested the #2 pick in him and need to give him his chance). By the way, lets not act like Trubisky has sucked all preseason or something either.  This is Trubisky's team and barring injury will be all year and should be next year as well (when you invest a #2 pick in a player, you stick by them and let them develop or not develop but you invest the time in them either way).  

Not for nothing but QBs like Joey Harrington, Vince Young, J’Marcus Russel, David Carr, Matt Leinart and Rick Mirer were all first round draftees that their respective teams invested heavily in.  Just because Trubisky was picked at #2 overall (when he could have been picked at 3 by the way) doesn’t gurantee success any more than it guarantees failure.  

True, Trubisky hasn’t sucked but then he hasn’t been stellar in game situations either.  Let’s not overlook his 7-7 (TD to INT ratio) in the pretty vanilla offense from last year.  

Maybe all this was is an exercise of determining who the backup QB will be as they potentially keep only 2 QBs on the final 53.  Still, it would have been nice to see Trubisky get some more in-game experience.   

20 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Not for nothing but QBs like Joey Harrington, Vince Young, J’Marcus Russel, David Carr, Matt Leinart and Rick Mirer were all first round draftees that their respective teams invested heavily in.  Just because Trubisky was picked at #2 overall (when he could have been picked at 3 by the way) doesn’t gurantee success any more than it guarantees failure.  

True, Trubisky hasn’t sucked but then he hasn’t been stellar in game situations either.  Let’s not overlook his 7-7 (TD to INT ratio) in the pretty vanilla offense from last year.  

Maybe all this was is an exercise of determining who the backup QB will be as they potentially keep only 2 QBs on the final 53.  Still, it would have been nice to see Trubisky get some more in-game experience.   

I never said it guaranteed success, but it would be foolish to not invest in that pick.  It's one thing to immediately cut ties with a 4th or 5th round pick (even that isn't preferred) but its a whole nother thing to not put a distinct amount of time into a guy drafted #2 overall (there was obviously enough that you liked that you invested that highly in him, so you better be able to invest the time into him). Either way, this is a moot point because Trubisky has performed in practice and been picking things up appropriately. I haven't heard any rumblings of any major concerns regarding him (a year ago, people literally thought Jared Goff wasn't going to be the starter a few weeks into the season for the Rams...and most didn't even think he deserved to start).  

Trubisky has done what you'd expect of a young QB. He very much could bust, but thus far he's done nothing to indicate you shouldn't be pouring 1000% of your resources into his development and Pace has very much done that by surrounding him with what he believes to be a bright offensive coaching staff (and one who they believe are very capable of developing a young QB) as well as shiny new offensive weapons (Robinson, Burton, Gabriel, & Miller).  That said, this is a complex offense and it is a young player, who had limited college experience, who is in his first year of this offense. We should absolutely expect growing pains, but we should also see long-term improvement and hopefully more and more moments of greatness and larger pockets of that greatness. 

Bottom line is Trubisky has done everything asked of him thus far, he's still got a hell of a long way to go and even if he lights the world on fire this year, he still has a heck of a long way to go to become a consistently great QB.  Reality is he has far more risk of not being good than being great (nature of the beast at this point), but we need to invest everything in him to increase al of the odds of him being a great player.  Certainly he's shown indications...but many many mediocre to bad QB's have as well.  

3 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I never said it guaranteed success, but it would be foolish to not invest in that pick.  It's one thing to immediately cut ties with a 4th or 5th round pick (even that isn't preferred) but its a whole nother thing to not put a distinct amount of time into a guy drafted #2 overall (there was obviously enough that you liked that you invested that highly in him, so you better be able to invest the time into him). Either way, this is a moot point because Trubisky has performed in practice and been picking things up appropriately. I haven't heard any rumblings of any major concerns regarding him (a year ago, people literally thought Jared Goff wasn't going to be the starter a few weeks into the season for the Rams...and most didn't even think he deserved to start).  

Trubisky has done what you'd expect of a young QB. He very much could bust, but thus far he's done nothing to indicate you shouldn't be pouring 1000% of your resources into his development and Pace has very much done that by surrounding him with what he believes to be a bright offensive coaching staff (and one who they believe are very capable of developing a young QB) as well as shiny new offensive weapons (Robinson, Burton, Gabriel, & Miller).  That said, this is a complex offense and it is a young player, who had limited college experience, who is in his first year of this offense. We should absolutely expect growing pains, but we should also see long-term improvement and hopefully more and more moments of greatness and larger pockets of that greatness. 

Bottom line is Trubisky has done everything asked of him thus far, he's still got a hell of a long way to go and even if he lights the world on fire this year, he still has a heck of a long way to go to become a consistently great QB.  Reality is he has far more risk of not being good than being great (nature of the beast at this point), but we need to invest everything in him to increase al of the odds of him being a great player.  Certainly he's shown indications...but many many mediocre to bad QB's have as well.  

You’re right on many points.  Yes Trubisky is young.  Yes he has very limited experince (especially in this offense and in game time situations).  Yes he has a large (although unknown) upside.  The Bears are taking a very similar track that the Rams did last year and many of us (myself included) were hoping they would. 

My doubts lie primarily with Pace and the preparedness of Trub. Pace hasn’t shown he’s as wily as he appears to think he is ... yet.  I’m still concerned to see how Robinson and White will perform.  Some of his FAs have flamed out and a large potion of his draft picks still are unproven (see Grasu).  Yes he’s invested a lot in players in the skill positions and that is great, especially to aid in Trubiskys development and confidence. I’m glad they kept Howard (despite the rumors) and Fangio.  Those were two large pieces that succeeded the last two years and would have knocked the Bears back significantly had either or both been lost.  

Ar this point I think the only way we, as fans, will be able to judge Trubiskys effecticveness will be during the regular season. We can hear all we want to about training camp but until you go against an opponent not running a blase defensive scheme, you won’t really know what you have.  From what I see so far in Nagy he looks (for all intents) like he knows what he’s doing.  And as long as Trubisky doesn’t go all Cutler like, he should be ok too. 

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:47 PM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Said it once, I’ll say it again; love me some Wims!!!  I dare say he so far has looked better than Miller.

Of course our “#2 QB” was the one throwing some nice drops to him. Which makes me want to bring up a bigger concern.  Why hasn’t Trubisky played more snaps?  He hasn’t proven at all that he’s ready for the regular season.  The one game he played into had him with one TD and one turnover where Daniel turned in a 2 TD effort. I dare also say we may be looking at a QB controversy early into this season?  I was hard on Daniel early on but so far he’s looks better at running the offense in game time situations.  

There is no QB controversy. From last years game film we already know Tru is serviceable, he's not going to go out and turn into Jamarcus Russell all of a sudden. Tru is in his 2nd year but has a new HC, new offense and a LOT of new pieces added to the offense. Its going to take time for this offense to gel. Hoping the Defense keeps us close and we pull out some W's early on while the offense comes together. Pace and Nagy are going to give him a lot of time to excel.