Projecting the 53-man Roster

adam

QB (2) - Trubisky, Daniel
RB (4) - Howard, Cohen, Cunningham, (Nall/Burton/Mizzell/Davis)
WR (6) - Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, White, Wims, Bellamy
TE (4) - Burton, Shaheen, Sims, (Brown/Braunecker)
OL (8) - Leno, Long, Whitehair, Daniels, Massie, Kush, Watford, (Coward/Sowell)

DL (6) - Hicks, Goldman, Robert-Harris, Bullard, Nichols, Jenkins
ILB (4/5) - Trevathan, Kwiatowski, Smith, Iggy, (Timu or Edebali at OLB)
OLB (5/6) - Floyd, Lynch, Acho, Fitts, Irving (Edebali or Timu at ILB)
CB (6) - Amukamara, Fuller, Callahan, LeBlanc, McManis, (Toliver/Cooper/Grant)
S (4) - Amos, Jackson, Bush, (Houston-Carson/Hall)

K - Parkey
P - O'Donnell
LS - Scales

I see 47 locks with 6 positions open. The Bears can even replace any of these guys with new acquisitions when the rosters are trimmed. I could see them looking for OLB help and maybe even DB.

Battle #1 - RB/FB, it seems like there is one spot for Nall, Burton, Mizzell, and even Davis. Davis adds the most on Special Teams, Nall was probably the best RB, Burton the best FB-type, and Mizzell seems like the best pass catcher. So at least Pace/Nagy have options. I can't see them carrying 5 unless they only go with 3x TE's

Battle #2 - TE, there is a battle at the last TE position between Brown and Braunecker, Brown is the better pass catcher and Braunecker has special teams value. If Sims concussion extends into the season, they could potentially keep them both with Sims on some type of IR.

Battle #3 - OL, the top 6 are set, and I think Watford gets in to complete the interior. Then it comes down to whether the team wants to carry Coward or Sowell. Sowell just got hurt, and I think Coward has more upside.

Battle #4 - LB, I don't know if the Bears will keep someone like Timu for special teams or Edebali with Floyd's injury, so it seems like the team will either have 4 ILB with 6 OLB, or 5 and 5.

Battle #5 - CB, I hope they don't keep Cooper who is absolutely worthless, but it is worth noting that he was a player that was rested against KC. I would rather see McManis (for ST) and Toliver as the last 2 CB's over Cooper. Even Grant would be better.

Battle #6 - S, Hall is suspended and DHC has a broken forearm. So it will be interesting to see if the Bears keep both and go with one less at one of the other defensive positions. Who would they drop? If they go with Hall, are they comfortable only having 3x Safeties for Week 1?

What do you think?

9 hours ago, adam said:

QB (2) - Trubisky, Daniel      AGREE - just need two
RB (4) - Howard, Cohen, Cunningham, (Nall/Burton/Mizzell/Davis)   4 AGREED but I think it's Burton who stays -  I see Nall headed to practice squad, Mizzell headed home but maybe on PS too
WR (6) - Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, White, Wims, Bellamy  5  and Bellamy moves on.   At the end of the day I think we keep just one special teams ace and that decision goes to McManis.  
TE (4) - Burton, Shaheen, Sims, (Brown/Braunecker)    4 AGREE on top 3 of course, but one of Shaheens/Sims injuries could turn into IR designated to return which means both Brown and Braunecker stick for 8 weeks 

OL (8) - Leno, Long, Whitehair, Daniels, Massie, Kush, Watford, (Coward/Sowell)   I think we'll keep 9 with Coward and Sowell, or one of Watford/Kush leave.  Kush hasn't played that well even though he's been a starter.  

DL (6) - Hicks, Goldman, Robert-Harris, Bullard, Nichols, Jenkins  6  AGREED
ILB (4/5) - Trevathan, Kwiatowski, Smith, Iggy, (Timu or Edebali at OLB)    4  I think it's time to move on from Timu
OLB (5/6) - Floyd, Lynch, Acho, Fitts, Irving (Edebali or Timu at ILB)   6  This might be the hardest to predict because of injuries and youth but if we go with 4 ILBs we use the extra spot for Edebali here
CB (6) - Amukamara, Fuller, Callahan, LeBlanc, McManis, (Toliver/Cooper/Grant)   6 agree on top 5 but I'm keeping one of Tolliver or Joseph and cutting Cooper.  At this point it seems Tolliver has the edge but I believe what happens Thursday night will decide.  McManis gets the edge as special teams ace over Bellamy.  
S (4) - Amos, Jackson, Bush, (Houston-Carson/Hall)    4 not sure who the 4th will be

For the last roster spot I see the battle being Bellamy/McManis/Edebali/Fitts/Irving.   The Bears might try to put Fitts or Irving on the practice squad in an effort to keep Bellamy for special teams.  The last preseason game is largely meaningless but keep an eye on who is doing what on special  teams.    

K - Parkey
P - O'Donnell
LS - Scales

I see 47 locks with 6 positions open. The Bears can even replace any of these guys with new acquisitions when the rosters are trimmed. I could see them looking for OLB help and maybe even DB.

Battle #1 - RB/FB, it seems like there is one spot for Nall, Burton, Mizzell, and even Davis. Davis adds the most on Special Teams, Nall was probably the best RB, Burton the best FB-type, and Mizzell seems like the best pass catcher. So at least Pace/Nagy have options. I can't see them carrying 5 unless they only go with 3x TE's

Battle #2 - TE, there is a battle at the last TE position between Brown and Braunecker, Brown is the better pass catcher and Braunecker has special teams value. If Sims concussion extends into the season, they could potentially keep them both with Sims on some type of IR.

Battle #3 - OL, the top 6 are set, and I think Watford gets in to complete the interior. Then it comes down to whether the team wants to carry Coward or Sowell. Sowell just got hurt, and I think Coward has more upside.

Battle #4 - LB, I don't know if the Bears will keep someone like Timu for special teams or Edebali with Floyd's injury, so it seems like the team will either have 4 ILB with 6 OLB, or 5 and 5.

Battle #5 - CB, I hope they don't keep Cooper who is absolutely worthless, but it is worth noting that he was a player that was rested against KC. I would rather see McManis (for ST) and Toliver as the last 2 CB's over Cooper. Even Grant would be better.

Battle #6 - S, Hall is suspended and DHC has a broken forearm. So it will be interesting to see if the Bears keep both and go with one less at one of the other defensive positions. Who would they drop? If they go with Hall, are they comfortable only having 3x Safeties for Week 1?

What do you think?

I agree we'll keep 6 WRs with Wims doing enough to force the decision to keep him around.  

At Oline I think we keep 9 so we can protect Coward.   With Cowards inexperience, and inability to switch to LT, I think we'll end up keeping Sowell to backup LT.  The flier here would be cutting Massie to go with Coward as a starter but I don't see that happening.  This team has gone too a lot of effort to boost the offense this offseason and we should keep the depth needed to ensure we can rely on it all year long.  

18 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Yep, that makes it much clearer and gets rid of the OLine battle. It is now definitely 8 and Kush stays he plays both Guard and Center. I think Bellamy sticks because White doesn't play ST. I agree, I do not want Cooper on this roster. Based on shear numbers, it seems like 2 of Fitts/Edebali/Irving are in at OLB, and the 3rd one sticks if they cut Timu.

RB (4) - Howard, Cohen, Cunningham, (Nall/Burton/Mizzell/Davis)
TE (4) - Burton, Shaheen, Sims, (Brown/Braunecker)
OL (8) - Leno, Long, Whitehair, Daniels, Massie, Kush, Coward, Sowell

ILB (4/5) - Trevathan, Kwiatowski, Smith, Iggy, (Timu or Edebali at OLB)
OLB (5/6) - Floyd, Lynch, Acho, Fitts, Irving (Edebali or Timu at ILB)
CB (6) - Amukamara, Fuller, Callahan, LeBlanc, McManis, (Toliver/Grant)
S (4) - Amos, Jackson, Bush, (Houston-Carson/Hall)

K - Parkey
P - O'Donnell
LS - Scales

RB (4) - Howard, Cohen, Cunningham, Nall
TE (5) - Burton, Shaheen, Sims, Brown, Braunecker
OL (8) - Leno, Long, Whitehair, Daniels, Massie, Kush, Coward, Sowell

ILB (4) - Trevathan, Kwiatowski, Smith, Iggy
OLB (5) - Floyd, Lynch, Acho, Fitts, Irving 
CB (6) - Amukamara, Fuller, Callahan, LeBlanc, McManis, Toliver
S (4) - Amos, Jackson, Bush, Houston-Carson

K - Parkey
P - O'Donnell
LS - Scales

To me it seems like it comes down to only 2 or 3 roster spots. With Shaheen injured, I could see the Bears keeping an extra TE, which would drop someone like Timu off the roster. I hope the Bears choose Toliver over Cooper (who is terrible), but Cooper was one of the guys rested, so I think they are going with him, which will suck. Nall has earned a spot and has a higher ceiling than Burton or Mizzell.

Special teams and injuries make it hard to predict TE vs. OLB.   I could see the 5 TEs as you propose but I can just as easily see someone like Braunecker or Brown getting traded for a late round pick and then we keep Edebali.  These two positions have somewhat similar athletes so the special teams comes down to who is putting in the work.  

22 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Special teams and injuries make it hard to predict TE vs. OLB.   I could see the 5 TEs as you propose but I can just as easily see someone like Braunecker or Brown getting traded for a late round pick and then we keep Edebali.  These two positions have somewhat similar athletes so the special teams comes down to who is putting in the work.  

Yeah, there is a chance that we use 2-3 spots to acquire other players as well, but for the most part, our roster seems pretty locked in.

Does anyone want to complain about Cam Merideth not being here anymore? He had 2 catches for 72 yards and a TD for the preseason. I think he does okay but his injuries has limited his playtime in the preseason. On the otherhand, had we kept him, we may not have taken Miller in the second and definitely not Wims in the 7th. I will have to say those 2 will be core players going forward thanks to that decision that I as well as others complained about.

a few notes:

Wims could be very good.

Blair Nichols can play.

Coward will be our starting RT next year.

I think Nall takes Michel Burtons spot on the roster.

As one of the more vocal supporters of Cam Meredith I feel very confident we're ok without him.  I've seen very little of Miller but all signs point to him having a higher ceiling than Cam and the work ethic to get there.  I didn't think much of Wims after that draft as he looked a bit slow in his breaks on routes in college but the hands were there.  He's shown me I was wrong and he has more quickness and speed than I thought.  It will be interesting to watch Wims' career develop compared to the 3 WRs the Packers drafted ahead of him.  

The backend of our 2018 draft looks pretty good right now.  Really the entire draft looks good.  Roquan is still a question mark because we've seen nothing from him but despite all the time he missed the coaches seem to be high on his ability to contribute on defense early this season.  Roquan had to put in the time off the field to get to that point.  Daniels will be a starting OG for us, if not OC next year.  There are still question marks about Fitts but for a 6th Rd pick he appears to be capable of contributing on the field although I think his ceiling is higher than just a spot backup player.   Toss in moving Coward to RT, UDFA CBs Joseph and Tollliver, and RB Nall (who could make the 53)  and it was pretty good offseason for adding young talent.    

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Does anyone want to complain about Cam Merideth not being here anymore? He had 2 catches for 72 yards and a TD for the preseason. I think he does okay but his injuries has limited his playtime in the preseason. On the otherhand, had we kept him, we may not have taken Miller in the second and definitely not Wims in the 7th. I will have to say those 2 will be core players going forward thanks to that decision that I as well as others complained about.

a few notes:

Wims could be very good.

Blair Nichols can play.

Coward will be our starting RT next year.

I think Nall takes Michel Burtons spot on the roster.

I wish Cam all the best, but he was playing in the final preseason game against players that will likely not be on an NFL roster in a day or two. Just the fact that the Saints played him in this game says a lot about how they feel about him. If he was still on our roster, he would be a potential roster cut anyway behind Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, White, and even Wims. I like our WR Corps.

Wims is legit and should form a formidable 1-2 punch with Miller for years to come. Just think about having Trubisky-Howard-Cohen-Shaheen-Miller-Wims for the next 8-10. Robinson is only 25 and Burton is 26, so I could see this current group staying intact for at least the next 4-5 years. Gabriel is the oldest skill position player at 27.

Nichols was impressing me with his inside push.

Coward will replace Massie before the bye. His growth at the position shows up every time I see him. 

I hope Nall makes it, he provides the most unique skill set amongst the remaining backs and gives a different look than Howard, Cohen, or Cunningham. He is big, and has shown he has an extra gear. 

RB (4) - Howard, Cohen, Cunningham, Burton
TE (5) - Burton, Shaheen, Sims, Brown, Braunecker
OL (9) - Leno, Long, Whitehair, Daniels, Massie, Kush, Coward, Sowell, Grasu

DL (5) - Hicks, Goldman, Robert-Harris, Bullard, Nichols
OLB (6) - Mack, Floyd, Lynch, Acho, Fitts, Irving 
CB (6) - Amukamara, Fuller, Callahan, Cooper, McManis, Toliver

K - Parkey
P - O'Donnell
LS - Scales

Currently at 54 players with the Mack trade. Burton made it in lieu of Nall, Grasu still on the roster and so is Cooper (ugh). I figure Grasu gets traded or cut at some point. I don't know how the Bears can carry 54 unless Mack hasn't actually signed the deal yet. 

14 hours ago, adam said:

RB (4) - Howard, Cohen, Cunningham, Burton
TE (5) - Burton, Shaheen, Sims, Brown, Braunecker
OL (9) - Leno, Long, Whitehair, Daniels, Massie, Kush, Coward, Sowell, Grasu

DL (5) - Hicks, Goldman, Robert-Harris, Bullard, Nichols
OLB (6) - Mack, Floyd, Lynch, Acho, Fitts, Irving 
CB (6) - Amukamara, Fuller, Callahan, Cooper, McManis, Toliver

K - Parkey
P - O'Donnell
LS - Scales

Currently at 54 players with the Mack trade. Burton made it in lieu of Nall, Grasu still on the roster and so is Cooper (ugh). I figure Grasu gets traded or cut at some point. I don't know how the Bears can carry 54 unless Mack hasn't actually signed the deal yet. 

Can't see Grasu being anything more than a trade opportunity.  Maybe Pace had some inquiries before cutdowns and wants to take a bit of time to see if anything comes of it.  Teams usually want to wait and see who else is cut first around the league.