Goldman Extended 4 years

madlithuanian

well, for better or worse, this is your team. these are the faces. this is a complete roster, more or less.

Im optimistic. It's been a long time since we HAD a complete roster, and I think we may have an all star staff of young coaches.

now lets go kick green bays ass.

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I would have liked him to have taken the next step forward before a big contract. I am not saying he is bad, but with that kind of contract, I would expect better stats.

How does he compare to other NTs? He is one of the most important pieces to a 3-4, so that has some value. With the addition of Mack, someone somewhere along the line will benefit. I'd say Goldman stands a good chance. 

6 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I would have liked him to have taken the next step forward before a big contract. 

Agreed.  Considering he’s being evaluated by Vic Fangio maybe he saw something the stats aren’t showing.  If all he (Goldman) does is occupy 1,2 or 3 people in the middle of the online (aka clog the middle) then that’s great news for Trevathan, Smith, Floyd, Hicks and Mack.  

The first defensive player taken by Ryan Pace. The first piece to Fangios D. NTs usually don't lead in stats. They force teams to double or triple team. Fangio took over a poor D and elevated it to a top 10 and now possibly a top 5. This is his center piece. 2 years from now the money will be average. Kudos to Pace for keeping this core intact long term and proving the Bears are not cheap and reward their own. 

I've been asking for this for some time so of course I'm glad it's done.  The money is about where I expected they'd end up.  It always seems like 15-20% more than the value of the player but that's the price for the early deal versus letting them hit FA.  People forget Goldman is only 24 years so he's just entering his prime playing years when this deal starts.  Certainly Goldman has room to improve as a player but with this coaching staff and now stability across the Dline we should see that.  I've seen some comments aorund the web that Goldman isn't that good and he's not worth it.  I'll trust Fangio on this one because he's squarely in Goldman's corner. 

I think with the improvement of the front 7, he probably more than anyone will see a uptick in performance. You have to worry about the OLBs, Hicks and will be getting more from the right side I think with R R-H than Bullard. He should be single team every time and that will bode well for his performance. I know NTs don't usually see a large stat sheet, but the best in the league are better pass rushers than Goldman.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I think with the improvement of the front 7, he probably more than anyone will see a uptick in performance. You have to worry about the OLBs, Hicks and will be getting more from the right side I think with R R-H than Bullard. He should be single team every time and that will bode well for his performance. I know NTs don't usually see a large stat sheet, but the best in the league are better pass rushers than Goldman.

He arrived at camp this year at 318lbs.  Let's see what he can do in the pass rush.  One thing missing in years past was depth.  We've got it this year and hopefully a better quality rotation across the defensive front keeps everyone in a better position to make plays.