Buccaneers game review

AZ54

Wow. 

Let's start at the top with Trubisky.  He had time to throw and took full advantage of it dropping passes into the right location play after play.  Numbers aside, he's still got room to grow but the most important aspect for me was seeing him confident in the pocket with his reads.  Regardless of pass rush or not he looked like he knew where he should go with the ball on each play.  With that confidence he finally showed he can "throw guys open" like on that beautiful tear-drop pass to Robinson in the endzone.  

Oline:  They did a great job in pass protection today.  Run blocking wasn't so good but it was good enough to keep the threat of runs realistic.  

WRs:   Nobody missed Anthony Miller.  Can't remember the last time we lost a starter for a game and it wasn't noticeable, especially at WR.    

RBs:  Howard was himself today but Nagy schemed this game for Cohen and it worked to perfection. 

Defense was outstanding again. 

CBs:  Game ball goes to the rookie Tolliver.  I know he gave up a couple passes here and there but overall he looked like a future starter at CB.  For a UDFA out there this early in the season he's progressing quickly.  On the play where Winston scrambled around for 6-8 sec, Tolliver was right with his man all over the field, literally sideline to sideline and back again.  Overall the coverage plan against one of the leagues best passing teams was excellent.  If we can keep Callahan around for 3 years we're in a good spot with our DBs.  The decision could be deciding between keeping Callahan or Amos.   If so, I'll take the slot CB.  

LBs:  I thought Trevathan and Smith played well.  I was hoping to see more from Floyd but he did make a few very good plays.  He'll have a game soon where he'll show up in a big way on the stat sheet.  Nothing needs to be said about the league MVP.  

Dline:  Akiem Hicks lost his mind that's not good and he had to leave the field.  Bilal Nichols picked up the torch and again played well.  RRH and Bullard stepped too with big plays in Hicks absence.  If Pace can keep RRH around for 2-3 years after this season we're in very good shape on the Dline for a long time.  

Coaching:  Nagy owned the Buccaneers.  He had the perfect game plan on offense and called the right plays again and again.    Fangio had the D ready to go.  Together they made one of the darlings of the early NFL season look like a dumpster fire.  Both teams are going into the bye week but the arrows are pointed in opposite directions.  

Ryan Pace:  The depth on this roster really stood out today at CB and Dline.  Big FA acquisitions Robinson, Gabriel, and Burton showed why they were brought here.  The courage to bring Khalil Mack here and give him that contract...that looks like a bargain right now.  

54 minutes ago, adam said:

Well said AZ, how about Parkey? 

Glad you mentioned him.  I intended to included him on the list of good additions but forgot about him.  Parkey was looking a little shaky during the preseason but has been steady in the regular season.  Each week it seems the snapper/holder/kicker group improves their timing on kicks and he's scored on 90% of them.    

On 10/1/2018 at 8:42 AM, Connorbear said:

Bilal Nichols looks like a steal.  The hit on the RB in the backfield after he was just handed the ball was shades of Tommie Harris.  Speaking of Harris, he looks like he could play WR now.  He can't weigh more than 215. 

Peace

It is great we have not only starters to be excited about, but also youth/depth. Nichols, Iggy, Tolliver, and hopefully Fitts will all be big pieces of this team in 2-3 years down the road. We still see a lot of second guesses on fans thought of Pace, but I think he has done a good job turning this franchise around. It is a process and it is finally starting to show.

From players, to staff, to incredible risks going against popular wisdom and sentiment, Pace is absolutely killing it.

This is what a GM hired by Ernie Accorsi, rather than the McCaskeys, looks like.

To the haters saying it's just the same old thing: you're not paying attention. This is the real deal. Does that mean the Bears will win every super bowl from now on, and every draft pick will be a gem? Nope. Pace isnt the only real GM in the league, and Nagy's not the only real coach in the league either. But a lot of teams have only one of those two, or neither, like we have since 1985.

We are now a real team. We will win our share. Unless we hit tremendous injuries, under Pace, we will never be 5-11 again.