Power Rankings (National Media Bandwagon hopping begins)

adam

Gotta love the national media. We are now in the top 10 of most power rankings and our odds to make the playoffs is 3rd best in the league (behind LAR and KC).

According to DVOA, we have the best defense in the league (by far) and the 2nd best team overall. 

We only have 3 games against teams that are in the top half of the league (LAR, GB, and NE). Those are ironically all home games, and the Rams is December 9th (Bear weather).

I'm excited about this team, but not ready to put them in the top 7 as of yet.  I read on one of the rankings that 21 out of 22 of our starters can take us to the Super Bowl.  It's that one key player that is young and needs to continue to develop.  If he grows into a franchise QB, we are going to be in the window for a long time.  Last week was a great start.  Hopefully it was a coming out party!

We scored 48 points without even being fully in rhythm yet. We will have ups and downs, but call it proof of concept. We are on our way, and I agree with Mongo about a long window.

From roster to staff, Pace has done an amazing job, and as Trubisky matures, we are going to be a real team for a while.

3 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I'm not ready to jump to any conclusions on our overall team yet. The uncertainty around offense and QB is still too large.  I can jump to conclusions on our defense, it will be very good, with health really being the major variable on the defensive side of the ball.  

I'm with you.  It certainly feels great to see our team do as well as it has but we have to take it with a grain of salt.  Most of us here have been fans long enough to know that one or two games don't necessarily make for an overall successful season.  We need to see measured and sustained success to know that it'll stick.  Otherwise we find ourselves looking at players like Darnold, Watson, Mayfield or even Mahomes and declaring the Jets, Texans, Browns and KC all turned around and having equal shots at winning the Super Bowl. 

One thing we do know is that our defense has made measured and progressive improvement in each of the years Fangio has been in the lead.   And this despite not having a player named Mack on the team.  He just made a very good defense, exceptional.  I think our offense is decent, but until we see sustained and constant positive growth we can't declare it great.