Rashaad Coward vs. Khalil Mack

AZ54

Every time I see him play, and every time I read more about him the more impressed I get.  Mack has only been with the Bears a month.  That's barely enough time to know most players by their first name.   Yet here he is taking the time in practice to give pointers to a young Rashaad Coward on what he needs to do to stop his pass rush.  I don't care what Gruden does with our first round picks we won this trade hands down.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/trial-fire-how-khalil-mack-helping-bears-right-tackle-rashaad-coward-learn-new-position

“Once you go against guys like that, anybody else is like — I don’t want to say a cakewalk, but they’re not going to come as fast or as strong or as quick,” Coward said. 

It’s not just that Coward gets to practice against Mack, though. Mack actively will give Coward coaching points, telling him what he did on a certain move and how, next time, the greenhorn offensive lineman could counter it. 

For as maligned as I am about Pace I really need to give him kudos for this.  And really Virginia and fam, for putting all they did into getting Mack.  He truly defines the phrase ‘generational player’.  Excellent at what he does and just a great human being.  

In sorta a related topic; was watching the Pats / Colts game last night and got to thinking about this Walter Payton Man of the Year thing the NFL has been doing.  And how they recently decided past recipients get to wear the logo (below)  on their jersey for the remainder of their careers.  Players like Eli Manning, Drew Brees, JJ Watt and our own Peanut Tillman have all had that distinction.  Yet here we have a 20(?) year vet in Tom Brady who himself has been the NFL and Super Bowl MVP (more than once) and never received this distinction.  Hmmm.  

73A8E2D2-8A29-43CF-9ADA-3413F598E0AF.jpeg

3 hours ago, adam said:

Coward may end up starting at RT by the end of the year. Daniels should take over at LG after the bye. That line would be nasty and athletic. 

I would be all for it. They need a youngster to take the reins from Massie, who has years left but would give cap relief.  Daniel's looked the part on his appearances Sunday. His mobility almost makes me think he would be more beneficial at guard, but that time will come next season when they decide. 

On 10/5/2018 at 7:12 PM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I would be all for it. They need a youngster to take the reins from Massie, who has years left but would give cap relief.  Daniel's looked the part on his appearances Sunday. His mobility almost makes me think he would be more beneficial at guard, but that time will come next season when they decide. 

If Daniels plays well at LG I don't think they'll make the change at OC next year.  If Daniels at C were the long term plan I think he'd have been focused more on C in practices this year.  I'm talking about after training camp closed, with the intent of moving Whitehair over when Daniels was ready.  There were enough issues with snaps early on to make that a realistic scenario but they kept him working at LG.  They may simply prefer his length and mobility at LG.  

I like his potential but I"m far from ready to see Coward take over for Massie.  He's still new to the position and, as he said, his technique is a work in progress.  He's still thinking too much on those things and I'd rather not have him on the field when we're facing blitzes on the road.