Eagles Interested in Howard

AZ54

I think this is complete BS speculation by Clayton.  The Bears are building something good on offense and Howard is a big part of that.  At this point we have legit playoff aspirations and will need Howard to get some tough yards.  

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/09/philadelphia-eagles-chicago-bears-jordan-howard-trade-jay-ajayi-injury/

Former ESPN insider John Clayton told Sports Radio 94 WIP in Philadelphia that the Eagles could be eyeing Howard as a trade target.

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I think this is complete BS speculation by Clayton.  The Bears are building something good on offense and Howard is a big part of that.  At this point we have legit playoff aspirations and will need Howard to get some tough yards.  

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/09/philadelphia-eagles-chicago-bears-jordan-howard-trade-jay-ajayi-injury/

Former ESPN insider John Clayton told Sports Radio 94 WIP in Philadelphia that the Eagles could be eyeing Howard as a trade target.

Funny you bring this up; I was just reading an article where it appears Jordan is getting frustrated with his role (or lack) on offense. From what I read he refused to talk to the media after the TB game and if anyone noticed, wasn’t used a lot in that game.

Now if you pair that with the off season discussion about him being potential trade fodder (rumor or no), our team’s need for more draft picks, the relationship between Nagy and Peterson and their (Eagles) sudden need for a premier back with both Blunt and now Ajayi lost ... well you’d have to ask why shouldn’t it happen?  

I love Jordan but am reminded regularly the NFL is a business.  And as much as I don’t think Cohen will last a full season, they are different style backs.  And frankly Jordan isn’t getting the opportunities he once had.  Hell they aren’t even doing zone blocking anymore which is where he excels.  He’s expected to be more a power runner where he runs into the back of the blockers.  It ain’t working. At the rate he’s going he’ll end up with just over 800 yards which is much less than he’s done his previous two years. 

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Funny you bring this up; I was just reading an article where it appears Jordan is getting frustrated with his role (or lack) on offense. From what I read he refused to talk to the media after the TB game and if anyone noticed, wasn’t used a lot in that game.

Now if you pair that with the off season discussion about him being potential trade fodder (rumor or no), our team’s need for more draft picks, the relationship between Nagy and Peterson and their (Eagles) sudden need for a premier back with both Blunt and now Ajayi lost ... well you’d have to ask why shouldn’t it happen?  

I love Jordan but am reminded regularly the NFL is a business.  And as much as I don’t think Cohen will last a full season, they are different style backs.  And frankly Jordan isn’t getting the opportunities he once had.  Hell they aren’t even doing zone blocking anymore which is where he excels.  He’s expected to be more a power runner where he runs into the back of the blockers.  It ain’t working. At the rate he’s going he’ll end up with just over 800 yards which is much less than he’s done his previous two years. 

So Howard's not a good fit for our offense yet the Eagles largely run the same offense?  They are desperate so I get their point of view (they need someone) but for our side?  The Eagles at this point really are in danger of not making the playoffs despite having a weak division.  In the offseason we could pursue other players to replace Howard.  Now we will get nobody in exchange and that's a huge problem IMO.   800 yards is still a lot of production in the running game.  

On our practice squad we have Mizzell who really was bad in the preseason.  I don't even understand why we kept him around.   Then there is Nall, who I like.  He had several explosive plays in the preseason but he also lacks some of the tight space quickness that Howard possesses.  I'd put Nall as an equal or perhaps even ahead of Howard in the receiving department as I think he's better as a route runner/receiver further downfield.  But if we're ok with Nall taking on the big-back role instead of Howard then why wouldn't the Eagles just sign Nall off our practice squad?   

I have no problem believing the Eagles are interested in Howard.

I totally see why they might think we don't really want him, given how we've used him so far.

But Howard is such a great chess piece for the right games in bad weather, against a light fast defense, etc etc. I don't see Nagy letting him go, unless Howard is privately unhappy AND we get some serious draft value for him. I don't see it.

I don't think Howard is going anywhere, and I don't think his role will be as small as it was against the Bucs.  Game flow dictated his role to be reduced.  We will need him going forward his role will reflect that.  It is easy to read into his reduced role this season and think he's not needed and why not trade him.  People will probably continue to link him to teams in need of RB help.   The Eagles restructuring contracts to free up cap space, could also be a sign they have some interest in pursuing Bell.  He'd be an expensive rental but would be a solid add to their backfield.  A lot of this is speculation by people paid to connect dots to write stories.  Only Jordan and the Bears know if any of this has a shred of truth.  Nagy's said Jordan will still play a big role in this offense.  As the wether turns colder the run game will be more and more critical.

On 10/9/2018 at 8:33 PM, AZ54 said:

Then there is Nall, who I like.  He had several explosive plays in the preseason but he also lacks some of the tight space quickness that Howard possesses.  I'd put Nall as an equal or perhaps even ahead of Howard in the receiving department as I think he's better as a route runner/receiver further downfield.  But if we're ok with Nall taking on the big-back role instead of Howard then why wouldn't the Eagles just sign Nall off our practice squad?

Simply put, Howard is a known commodity where Nall is not.  And you're right, he (Nall) probably does have better characteristics that fit this scheme more so than does Howard.  Nevertheless, the Eagles are desperate and like I previously mentioned lost both Blunt and Ajayi within the last season.  Having a back like Howard, who has unquestionably improved in his passing game, certainly would be appealing to Philly. 

All that being said and as I iterated before I would absolutely hate to see Howard leave.  Even though Nagy doesn't seem to know how to use him right now, as others have posted here, Howard certainly has value in games where we need to grind it out and is a commodity when the weather turns to crap. 

**EDIT**  As I finished this up I see in Bleacher Report rumors are that the Eagles may be more interested in getting LeSean McCoy back.  That to me makes more sense as he (McCoy) is more the type back they ultimately need. 

17 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

**EDIT**  As I finished this up I see in Bleacher Report rumors are that the Eagles may be more interested in getting LeSean McCoy back.  That to me makes more sense as he (McCoy) is more the type back they ultimately need. 

That really does make sense.  I could see McCoy being interested in returning to Philly.  Things haven't quite gone well for him this season in Buffalo, or since he's left the Eagles for that matter.  Makes sense for both parties.  But if it did end up being Jordan, we better get good value for him. 

19 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

That really does make sense.  I could see McCoy being interested in returning to Philly.  Things haven't quite gone well for him this season in Buffalo, or since he's left the Eagles for that matter.  Makes sense for both parties.  But if it did end up being Jordan, we better get good value for him. 

I think the struggling Buffalo Bills would love to unload the $6mil/yr contract of McCoy especially if they can get anything in return.  This year is all about having Josh Allen get his feet wet.  Next year,  unloading the contract of a 31yr old RB could help in many ways.  

On 10/10/2018 at 9:50 AM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

When everything is going well you don't get rid of a good player.  He will  have some games like this but will but needed when the weather gets cold. Let's say we trade him and then Cohen gets hurt,  sounds kinda of dumb to think that is a good idea.

17 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

When everything is going well you don't get rid of a good player.  He will  have some games like this but will but needed when the weather gets cold. Let's say we trade him and then Cohen gets hurt,  sounds kinda of dumb to think that is a good idea.

*sigh* I should point out that John Clayton started this speculation.  You know the “dumb” Hall of Fame writer? 

I thought I agreed to the point of him staying on the team especially for during bad weather.  Or did you miss that part?  And the part about how I’d prefer he not leave Chicago.  🤔

But...As I earlier pointed out the Eagles are desperate (to add to their RB woes Sproles was recently hobbled by a hamstring) and the Bears certainly could use draft picks.  And even if your super-‘special’ player Cohen were to get hurt, there’s still Cunningham, Nall and Mizzell on the roster.  Although as AZ points out, Mizzell still has a long way to go before he can be trusted.  

Well now that we are 6 weeks into the season, I have to admit I'm starting to wonder are we ever going to fully utilize Howard?  Seems especially the last two games he's been mostly invisible.  At the close of last season the only proven commodity on offense was Howard.  It's hard not to wonder are we purposely leaving him out of the game plan? If so why?  In 5 games he's total 78 carries for 272 yards for 3.5 ypc and only one TD.  He has 10 coaches for 78 yards (and that was pretty much just the first few weeks).  He's averaging just 15.6 carries a game as our "feature back" when he "was" our offense last year.  Not liking this trend.  We aren't taking advantage of what Jordan can do for this offense.  Giving him a carry here and there throughout a game keeps him from getting into any rhythm whatsoever.  When I first replied I thought no way do we trade him... but if we're not going to use him why not shop him.  If I were him I'd be frustrated and want to be somewhere where I'm used consistently.  Maybe his usage will increase as the weather turns cold, he's the kind of back that can chew clock and gain yards for you when you need to close out a game.  

I almost feel this year is about Trubisky getting the offense down and making progress. It may be wasting Howard or actually saving him.  His time will come. As for trading him, only for their 1st. If they want him that bad, pay the price. The Bears have a blessing that they can get by next year with minimum draft capital because Mack and Miller are worth their price.