Patriots at Bears Official Game Thread (Sun, Oct 21 12:00 PM CDT/CBS/NE -3)

adam

After the Miami loss, this game is way more important. After starting 3-1, it will suck to drop to 3-3 after 6 games. 4-2 would keep us in 1st place in the Division regardless of what GB or MIN do.

Detroit and Jacksonville both beat NE when NE was on the road. The Bears have a chance to do the same.

The Bears +43 points differential is tied for 3rd in the league only behind LAR and BAL. The Bears are 4th best in points allowed, lead the league in INTs per game (2), are 3rd in sacks per game (3.6) even after not getting one against Miami.

Based on Wilson's performance, you have to think Edelman will be a main target for Brady. We need to get pressure and get him off his spot. Otherwise it will be a long day with him tearing our secondary apart.

I would like to see Nagy stay aggressive the entire game and only mix in the gimmick plays and not make them the entire offense. Don't be too cute. Weather will be in the high 40's with some wind. Good time to unleash Howard and the ground and pound.

Hopefully the team is pissed from the Miami game and will come out angry.

This is a winnable game, but only if we keep NE's offense in check. NE is only favored by 3, so with the 3 point home field advantage bump, this is expected to be a one-score game.

Bears 23-20

Was watching an interview with Hicks and when asked about Mack being day-to-day Akiem said that anyone could step up and have a great day.  But then with a bit of a glimmer in his eye said “...especially, I have a token for you, Isaiah Washington, we’ll see how he does.”  I suspect he meant Isaiah Irving as I don’t think there is a Washington on the team unless he is talking about the b-ball player.  

Other articles say Irving has been active since Acho went down on IR. Count me intrigued.   

*Also hearing that Callahan is questionable at the slot.  If he’s out sounds as the McManis will get to play Nickel. I’m not sure what to make of that. 

1 hour ago, ChileBear said:

Trying to prove me wrong Alaska?!

Love the Trevathan #

Nah, I’m really a softy deep down inside especially with these cool stories.  This is a trend I’ve seen since Nagy got there.  With painting the walls of motivational phrases and highlighting ‘family’ when breaking the team (and saying that’s all that matters).  This is proof positive he’s a good man.  Im a fan. 

10 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Stacey Dales saying A. Robinson more than likely out with a groin injury. 

If this be the case, I think this be the time Kevin White make an appearance...as in a statement that he wants to stay on the team.  Or if not then get Wyms in there. 

Wims isn't active for today so he ain't playing 

This team is hot garbage right now.

Trubisky cannot read defenses, has happy feet and throws bad INTs. He doesn't need more time, this is who he is. He misses NFL throws and doesn't throw to wide open receivers. He flashes every now and then, and can make some plays with his feet, but that won't win you many games. Pace gambled and lost. 

This defense is an absolute joke, no one can tackle, zero pass rush, no can cover. Fool's gold. Floyd is a bust, he can't pass rush, can't cover, so I really don't know what he is good at. 

The Special Teams Coach should be fired after this type of game. Two Special Teams TD's allowed, and Cunningham allowed to run it out to the 15 on every kickoff. Then O'Donnell kicks a 37 yard punt and can't get it past the 50. What the hell is going on. 

I will be surprised if we win 5 games playing like this. 

Can’t understand the decision to play Mack. It would be better for him to rest the ankle than play hurt. 

Special teams lost this today. I know Mitch threw some bad throws but Bellamy and Miller could have fought more on the ints. 

Suprised that White wasn’t used more when Robinson went out. He had 2 good catches and I would rather have him on the field than Bellamy. 

Next two weeks are must wins. You usually only get 6 losses to make the playoffs most years. If the Bears lose 4 games before getting into the bulk of their divisional games in the coming weeks, you can pretty much say goodbye to your post-season hopes. They also have the Rams, which is almost certainly a loss as well. That's why that Miami game was so crucial, because you expected this Patriots loss. 4-2 looks so much better than 3-3.

15 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

The next two games are winnable, so that would be 5-3 at mid term, we still have the potential to be good, but we need Mack at full strength.

They must win the next 2 games to have a chance at the playoffs.  The entire team played poorly today.   They will get better. 

I agree that Mack should sit for a couple of weeks to heal.  He simply is not contributing at this time. 

Peace

1 hour ago, adam said:

This team is hot garbage right now.

And I’m called ‘negative nellie’?  Lol

Ive been biting my tongue but can’t do it any longer. Two certain INTs and easily 2-3 more.  There is no way anyone should be blaming the receivers as it’s clearly Trubiksy making bad judgement calls and almost every time throwing over the head of his receivers.  To me it’s becoming quite clear that game against TB was a fluke against a horrible defensive unit.

The one cool spot in this game was the near re-emergence of Kevin White.  Had two nice looking catches one of which almost brought the team back for a tie. 

Keep in mind, that if I told you you could choose a "Black Box" offense, that looked ridiculously bad, and was completely incoherent, but would routinely score 31 points, no questions asked, youd take it. (you being whoever is reading this)

Our defense needs to tackle, cover and rush the passer. Our special teams needs to be operable. But the opffense, as terrible as it truly is is already scoring big. Imagine what theyre gonna be like when they arent spazzing out all over the place.

Again, I put this loss on Fangio.  He does not seem to put any pressure on the QB for the 2nd game in a row.  And I don't understand why you leave someone (Mack) who you can visibly see can't put any push on his ankle in the game when that is his game.  Power rush and then moves off of that.  And what has happened to the rest of the rush?   With out a few blitzes, of which I don't believe they had more than a few, your not going to put pressure on anyone.  Two QB's who are not leaving the pocket and they got one sack?   Trubisky is such a question mark.  Will he get over the hump or just be another teaser!!

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

And I’m called ‘negative nellie’?  Lol

Ive been biting my tongue but can’t do it any longer. Two certain INTs and easily 2-3 more.  There is no way anyone should be blaming the receivers as it’s clearly Trubiksy making bad judgement calls and almost every time throwing over the head of his receivers.  To me it’s becoming quite clear that game against TB was a fluke against a horrible defensive unit.

The one cool spot in this game was the near re-emergence of Kevin White.  Had two nice looking catches one of which almost brought the team back for a tie. 

That is what was on display today, just the facts. The team is not playing to potential. Burton looked great on offense and Nichols did on defense. Outside of that? Trubisky missed more open receivers than he had completions, some with zero pressure. He could've easily had 2-3 more INTs. 

How about some more passes to Howard, he made a great catch and they don't honor the pass when he is in. What is crazy is the commentators were calling the plays "oh, Cohen is in, run or screen to the outside, Howard is in RPO/run up the gut. Bellamy was targeted 4 times (1 was intercepted), Sowell was targeted once (almost intercepted), and Sims was targeted once. So essentially 6 wasted passing plays, 5 incompletions and an INT. Gabriel and Bellamy both had 4 targets. Gabriel caught 3, Bellamy none. Not rocket science. I don't know if this is Trubisky or the play calls, but it needs to change. 

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

Keep in mind, that if I told you you could choose a "Black Box" offense, that looked ridiculously bad, and was completely incoherent, but would routinely score 31 points, no questions asked, youd take it. (you being whoever is reading this)

Our defense needs to tackle, cover and rush the passer. Our special teams needs to be operable. But the opffense, as terrible as it truly is is already scoring big. Imagine what theyre gonna be like when they arent spazzing out all over the place.

It's not that black and white. Two of the TD's were off NE turnovers with a short field. They needed to score those and they did. Which is encouraging. However, our longest TD drive was 63 yards. Also, when the game was on the line, the offense disappeared. We had a 24-21 lead with 12:04 in the 3rd and had the ball and a tie ball game at 7:40 in the 3rd. We essentially had a 3 and out and then the blocked punt (-7 points). Then with 3 drives to redeem themselves, Trubisky scrambles and instead of just throwing the ball away, throws a pass to Josh Bellamy, which is intercepted. Ok, bad decision, but you can redeem yourself the next drive. The defense holds and forces a punt, you drive down the field and throw ANOTHER interception, but this time at the 4-yard line. OOF. So NE goes 96 yards and scores a TD (-14). How are you going to respond? A 3 and out, and punt. Game Over!

4 Drives after 3rd Quarter TD:
4 play drive, Blocked punt
6 play drive, INT
8 play drive, INT
4 play drive, punt

Obviously, the Defense and Special Teams need to shoulder most of the blame. The defense is absolutely perplexing. How can such a dominant pass rush basically disappear over the last 2 games, especially coming off the bye? The Special Teams? What the hell was that? Cunningham should not take a single kickoff out of the end zone, at most he gets to the 27 or 28, but most of the time is stopped before the 20.  Just like our defense we can't tackle, you can't allow a kickoff return like that with no one contesting him for 50 yards even though there was a blatant block in the back that wasn't called. On the blocked punt, you need max protect there, or take a timeout when you see 10 on the line.