2019 Draft Needs

AZ54

We're are finally at the mid-point of the season.  I'm curious what you view as our draft needs this offseason.  As it stands now we won't pick until late in the 3rd Rd.  Everyone knows Sims will be gone and that gives us $26mil in cap space.  I expect a big chunk of that to be used to re-sign Callahan.  Beyond that we just sign a few of our own players, or someone of similar talent, to fill out the roster such as RRH, Kush, Bellamy, LS Scales, and maybe Witzman.   Likely departures Massie, Amos (I don't think they will pay him and Callahan), and the forementioned Sims.  

What then are the needs?  The most obvious gap is RT if we let Massie leave.  I think Coward will ascend into that role but I'm not sure the team will view him as a guaranteed option so he'll have competition.  As I see it:   

3rd Rd:  OT

4th Rd:  S

5th Rd:  TE

7th Rd:  OLB

I think we go BPA at that point of the draft. RT will need to be addressed but I think Coward wins that job but will draft a OT to develop somewhere in the draft.

I think as you do we need to address our S  and also CB situation, someone to develop. I think if their is a S of value at our 3rd that could be our first pick. 

OLB will always be in the running but as BPA is the order of the day, we will draft accordingly.

I think Sims will be gone, and possibly Amos, it will depend on his demand in FA as to whether we get a valued contract bringing him back.

I think we basically have young players to develop at every spot. Next year I think Ben B will get more playing time and Brown will still be in the picture so  I do not think we address that in the draft. Brown or Ben were undrafted free agents so we will continue to look there for bodies.

Thinking BPA  OT-OLB-S-CB will all be in play.

I also think depending on how Long comes out of his injury woes, I think he may not be brought back. Hes going to be 30, injury history is not good. and also Bryan Witzmann can play RG or RT and I think he developes into a sneaky good addition to our team going forward. He will be making 8.5 million next year that will come into play. That will get you Amos and Callahan back for the same money. Also next year is when Macks big money kicks in, 22 mil.

Also James Stone and Dejon Allen are on our practice squad and I think they develop into our next years backups. 

If we sign Callahan, then I doubt we draft a CB early. Fuller is signed thru 2021 and Prince is signed thru 2020. They both have Dead Money over $10M in 2019. So I doubt they cut either of them. So I can't see us drafting a CB early if we are going to pay all 3 of those guys. I can see another 5th-UDFA as a possible option to groom under them. Callahan is a must. He is arguably our best CB.

Safety is definitely a need. If we don't re-sign Amos, we will need a starter, and we are fairly thin back there.

OLB is a need, and I am not sold on the team picking up Floyd's 5th year option.

OT is definitely a need. Massie isn't very good and I doubt we pay him as we want to get younger there. Even with Coward, I can see us going OT early. With Long's injury history, it wouldn't hurt to go OG as well.

So I would say S and OT are the top priorities, with OLB right behind. Then OG the last of the four need areas.

I can see us grabbing a S in the 3rd over an OT if the value is there.  

For the TE it's clear we value the blocking aspect Sims brings to the table or he wouldn't be getting so much playing time over Brown or Braunecker.   I realize Shaheen should step into that role as the starter but for depth TEs like that can easily be found on the 3rd day of the draft.   If we want to go the other way we can find a tweener TE in the mold of Burton late in the draft.  I don't see the team too enamored with either Brown or Braunecker in that role yet it's clear how valuable that move-TE position is in the offense.  

For CB  I think Tolliver has shown enough to be considered at least a definite depth piece at CB if not a future starter.   We have Prince, Fuller, Callahan, Tolliver, and then I have to give credit to McManis who has played decently in spot time.  At the bottom of the CB depth chart why not keep a very good special teams coverage guy who can fill in capably if called upon?  

It has been hard to think draft this year for me. Maybe it's not having the 1st and 2nd rd picks or maybe it is that we are playing well and the pool of needs is shrinking? I wouldn't  be shocked if we draft S, OT, OLB, and the wildcard RB. Not only is Massies contract expiring, Cowerd is an unknown, and we should have a pipeline of youth that can play swing OT. I don't want to make any predictions on Long, he means too much to the team, like glue. This team looks good roster wise, they should net a compensatory pick in the 2020 draft if they lose Amos and others. 

I completely forgot but I believe RB will be a position that gets addressed this offseason.  Of course I still expect Howard, Cohen combo to continue but I think Cunningham's days are over and Nagy will want someone else with potential to fill that role.  That most likely will be a draft pick.   

I'm all about starting with OL.  Long and Massie, for different reasons, cannot be counted on.  After that, we need to look at selective BPA.  There's a good history of players you can get in FA, but others are not so easy to come by.  I can see a speed back from a small school in the mix, with a dash of OLB and DB.   TE, QB, DT and WR shouldn't be on the list.

10 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm all about starting with OL.  Long and Massie, for different reasons, cannot be counted on.  After that, we need to look at selective BPA.  There's a good history of players you can get in FA, but others are not so easy to come by.  I can see a speed back from a small school in the mix, with a dash of OLB and DB.   TE, QB, DT and WR shouldn't be on the list.

It should come as no surprise that I 100% agree with this.  The next year's draft should be all about making Trubisky as comfortable as possible, and limiting how much he is FORCED to run.

3rd: OT/OG

4th: OT/OG

5th: S/CB - Depending on who re-signs

7th: BPA

6 hours ago, jason said:

It should come as no surprise that I 100% agree with this.  The next year's draft should be all about making Trubisky as comfortable as possible, and limiting how much he is FORCED to run.

3rd: OT/OG

4th: OT/OG

5th: S/CB - Depending on who re-signs

7th: BPA

"Forced to run" is the key. He gets good yards, so far, but we all know that he's gonna get smacked and, probably, injured if this keeps up. Oline is sooo impt in football. Protect him and keep the Nagy-Mitch connection and we are going to be good for a while.