Lions at Bears Official Game Thread (Sun, Nov 11, 12:00 PM CST/FOX/Bears -7, O/U 44.5)

adam

46 minutes ago, adam said:

He has already lost a game for us and missed other kicks. 

He didn't lose the Miami game for us.  He should have never been trusted to make a 53 yarder to win it.  That loss is on Nagy.  Get one more first down and run the clock down to where if you miss the field goal you take a tie. 

Peace

Certainly Bears fans are starting to burn their Trubisky jerseys.  How many fans are even old enough to even remember seeing this type of performance from a Bears QB in a season before, let alone 9 games?  

https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2018111100/2018/REG10/lions@bears

"This was Mitch Trubisky’s 3rd game this season with 300+ passing yards and 3+ pass TDs, the most by a Bears QB in a single season since 1950."

"Mitchell Trubisky has 2+ passing TDs in each of 5 home games this season"

he aint going anywhere so we can just hope he gets his shit together. These are not perfect games but other than Parkey, its hard to complain about anybody.

A good game from Floyd today. 3 hits, 1 sack and played the run well.

I think this is the best game MT played this year, not the 6 TDs but seemed more accurate to me today.

STUDS:  Mack, Hicks, Callahan (5 ts, 1 sack, 1 Int, 1 tfl, one QB hit)Smith (10 ts, 1 sack, 1 tfl, 1 pd), Robinson(6-133-2) Miller (5-122-1)

15 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Great start to this 3 games in 11 day fiasco. Next week is the big one, they get a reg weeks practice for Minny before heading into Detroit. Beat Minny and the stage is theirs, the accolades the talking heads give is theirs, the City and Bear Nation will be in ignited. 

Fantastic win...special teams and rushing game are serious issues though, and they need to clean it up.  Vikings game is going to be a big one.  

18 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Mason Crosby did the same thing about 4 weeks ago.  No need to overreact.  Address in the offseason if necessary. 

Peace

The difference being for Crosby it was a rare day for an otherwise dependable kicker.  He returned to form the following week.  Parkey has be a disappointment for most of the season yesterday was by far his worst day, but it's not been his only bad day.  We are likely stuck with him for the rest of this year but no doubt we will be addressing that next year.  He alone cost the Bears 8 points by himself   It didn't cost us today as we were beating the Lions fairly easily.  The issue is when we are in games where every point is valuable we can't trust Parkey to come through and that's a liability.  I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't bring a kicker or two to try out and see if we can fix this issue this year. The pressure will certainly be there to at least go through the motions of trying to fix it.  I wonder how much of it has to do with taking South Florida warm weather kicker and ask him to kick well in the cold swirly winds of Soldier Field.  

Kicking aside this was a very enjoyable game to watch.  We gave up some cheap TD"s in the second half but the hole we put the Lions in was too deep for them to climb out of.  Welcome back Mr. Robinson! Could even say welcome to Chicago.  His best day yet as a Bear.  (too bad I didn't start him on my Fantasy team or I'd have won this week).  Hopefully this is a harbinger of things to come and a sign that he and Mitch are getting to be on the same page.  By far at least to my eyes the most complete game Mitch has put together.  He looks confident, and played under control, and fired up.  I love watching him spike the ball with authority after his TD run and celebrating with his teammates.  As he grows into his role as leader of the offense his enthusiasm and energy will be contagious that is what endears you to your teammates.  He's starting to show the qualities that convinced Pace to make the move to ensure he got him.  The last several games the offense has taken strides and they still have room to grow.  The D started getting their swagger back with the Jets game and have rounded back into form.  They displayed the defensive team stats yesterday and this reminds me a lot of the 2005/2006 D getting turnovers, scoring, getting after the QB, and generally wreaking havoc.   But unlike those Defenses we have an offense that has the ability to take over a game. The stronger the offense gets the more they can impose their will.  

We are watching a playoff team that is my firm belief at this point. After last offseason on paper we looked to be a vastly improved team.  There was much to be excited about and a new energy surround the team.  On paper we looked to at the very least be vastly improved.  Question was could this team go from 5-11 and last in our division to a playoff caliber team this year.  I think the answer is yes.  I don't se us winning a championship this year but we are certainly in the playoff conversation.  Once the playoffs start anything can happen.  The Bears haven't been relevant for a long time.  Plus we are built for the long term Pace has rebuilt our roster to be younger.  We are the only team in the league to not have a single defensive starter 30 years old or older. I have to give Pace a lot of credit for turning over the roster but doing so with a longterm view rather than a win now fade away.  Since the 80's the Bears have been a team that will have occasional resurgences only to fade away as quickly as we rose up. This has the potential to be the start of the Bears being a perennial playoff team.  

4 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

Kicking aside this was a very enjoyable game to watch.  We gave up some cheap TD"s in the second half but the hole we put the Lions in was too deep for them to climb out of.  Welcome back Mr. Robinson! Could even say welcome to Chicago.  His best day yet as a Bear.  (too bad I didn't start him on my Fantasy team or I'd have won this week).  Hopefully this is a harbinger of things to come and a sign that he and Mitch are getting to be on the same page.  By far at least to my eyes the most complete game Mitch has put together.  He looks confident, and played under control, and fired up.  I love watching him spike the ball with authority after his TD run and celebrating with his teammates.  As he grows into his role as leader of the offense his enthusiasm and energy will be contagious that is what endears you to your teammates.  He's starting to show the qualities that convinced Pace to make the move to ensure he got him.  The last several games the offense has taken strides and they still have room to grow.  The D started getting their swagger back with the Jets game and have rounded back into form.  They displayed the defensive team stats yesterday and this reminds me a lot of the 2005/2006 D getting turnovers, scoring, getting after the QB, and generally wreaking havoc.   But unlike those Defenses we have an offense that has the ability to take over a game. The stronger the offense gets the more they can impose their will.  

We are watching a playoff team that is my firm belief at this point. After last offseason on paper we looked to be a vastly improved team.  There was much to be excited about and a new energy surround the team.  On paper we looked to at the very least be vastly improved.  Question was could this team go from 5-11 and last in our division to a playoff caliber team this year.  I think the answer is yes.  I don't se us winning a championship this year but we are certainly in the playoff conversation.  Once the playoffs start anything can happen.  The Bears haven't been relevant for a long time.  Plus we are built for the long term Pace has rebuilt our roster to be younger.  We are the only team in the league to not have a single defensive starter 30 years old or older. I have to give Pace a lot of credit for turning over the roster but doing so with a longterm view rather than a win now fade away.  Since the 80's the Bears have been a team that will have occasional resurgences only to fade away as quickly as we rose up. This has the potential to be the start of the Bears being a perennial playoff team.  

All in with you BF2000. Nagy, Mitch and the rest of the O side players and coaches are getting this right. I can't remember when I was so happy listening to the Bears play than yesterday. It was great to hear the completed passes and TDs on the radio here in Chile.

And yes, I think we are a playoff team. MMQB at SI has a good interview with Nagy. I think Pace got it right with Nagy. He's putting in the time, he knows where he's going and , most importantly, who is going to get him there.

Oh, and Fangio's D, what is not to love, after all, these are the Monsters of the Midway!

Read MMQB at SI and the interview with Nagy. His commitment to Mitch, and Mitch's to the system, is positive and gives me hope for the future.

We have the base for a nice run the next few years. (Hopefully right over the top of the Puckers, Queens and Kitties.)

GO BEARS

I

I finally see Roquan stepping up, he had 9 tackles (team high), 1 sack, 1 TFL, and 1 PD. Oh btw, he is a rookie. Another rook showing up on defense is Bilal Nichols, in 29 snaps, he got a tackle, a sack, and a forced fumble. On the other side of the ball, James Daniels played every snap (so did the entire O-Line - Witzmann too), and oh, this WR named Anthony Miller went 5-122 and a TD on 6 targets. So needless to say, this draft class of Smith, Daniels, Miller, and Nichols is killing it. Not to mention last year's (Trubisky, Cohen, Jackson) are killing it and Shaheen should be back this week. That's basically nailing 8 picks in two years and that's not even counting guys like Iggy, Fitz, Wims, etc who should get a chance at some point. Pace has to get some consideration for Exec of the Year.

On offense, Trubisky by far had his best game and showed that the TB game was not an anomaly. He is now playing at an elite level, which is great to see. If he can limit mistakes and beat teams with his arm and legs, we are going to be a tough team to beat. I am a little concerned about the running game, and outside of 3-4 runs all year, Howard really looks disinterested. I don't know why they don't put him out there to chip and then roll to the flat. That would be open every time because teams literally put 8 in the box when Howard is out there, and go to 5 DB's when Cohen is out there. We will need to win games with Howard when the weather gets bad, so hopefully that will come soon. The only other thing I can think of is that Nagy is purposely not showcasing Howard and certain plays to keep for later. Well if he is, this week is a good time to open up Pandora's box of plays.

On defense, it was great to see Mack back in there. He seemed a little rusty at first, but then you could feel his presence. It was nice to see Floyd have a solid game, and he was showing some different moves, which will only make his speed rush that much more lethal down the road. Bryce Callahan has really stepped up his play, playing at or near an All-Pro level, which gives us 3x starter quality CB's. Amos seems like the odd man out on the starting defense. Of the starting 11, he is clearly the worst player. For the defense overall, hard to argue with 6 sacks, 2 INT's, and holding DET to 26% on 3rd downs. 

Next up Minnesota at Soldier Field, game time temperature projected to be in the high 20's after touching 30 for a few hours that day. Bear Weather!!!

This is a must win because we need to have a two-win lead on MIN heading into Week 17. With the stupid tie, we have to end the season with one more win than Minnesota and Green Bay, so 10-6 will beat 9-6-1, but not 10-5-1. So I would rather shoot for 11 wins, which would basically make GB run the table and force MIN to go 6-1. 

To get to 10-5-1, Minnesota has to finish 5-2 against (@CHI, vs GB, @NE, @SEA, vs MIA, @DET, vs CHI). We have to split with them at least, preferably winning this one, and forcing them to go 5-1 the rest of the way to get to 10 wins.

For GB, they have to finish 6-1 against (@SEA, @MIN, vs ARZ, vs ATL, @CHI, @NYJ, vs DET). I don't see that happening. At best maybe 5 wins if you give them NYJ, DET, and ARZ, and winning 2 of 4 from SEA, MIN, ATL, and CHI.

At 6-3, we need to go 5-2 the remainder of the way, 2x MIN, DET, GB, LAR, SF, and NYG. That means we have to split MIN/MIN, beat GB and DET, and then go 2-1 against LAR, SF, and NYG. That seems reasonable, especially with a win against MIN on SNF.