Draft RB

AZ54

For those of us who enjoy the draft process it is nearly time for college conference playoffs, and then we move into the bowl season.  I like having a few players to watch as these big games happen.  I still think we will be looking to add someone to the RB group this offseason so I'm looking for someone who should be available on the 3rd day but also who fits the profile of what we're looking for.  Anthony  Miller has proven to be worth a 2nd Rd pick.  Could we go back to Memphis to draft a RB?  Henderson is not a work horse type of RB so keeping Jordan Howard for another year makes sense but adding him to the mix with Cohen and Howard gives us one more dynamic weapon and he can handle go routes and has the hands to make catches deep downfield.   Can he handle KRs?  

Yeah for me I think the more primary need is Defensive backfield.  I’ve see some say that Amos is the ‘worst’ player on the defense but I can’t say I agree when Amukamura to me still looks slow.  And he ain’t getting any younger.  Don’t get me wrong he’s great on initial press coverage but after about 10 yards of that he loses.  Just look at last week game against Minny.  Unless I’m mistaken it was the two TD passes by Minny that were against Prince.  

I see Nagy/Fangio trying out players like Mizzell and Tolliver now just to see how good their depth is. 

10 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Yeah for me I think the more primary need is Defensive backfield.  I’ve see some say that Amos is the ‘worst’ player on the defense but I can’t say I agree when Amukamura to me still looks slow.  And he ain’t getting any younger.  Don’t get me wrong he’s great on initial press coverage but after about 10 yards of that he loses.  Just look at last week game against Minny.  Unless I’m mistaken it was the two TD passes by Minny that were against Prince.  

I see Nagy/Fangio trying out players like Mizzell and Tolliver now just to see how good their depth is. 

Agree Alaska.W need a stud for DB to really solidify the D, that is already narley.

8 hours ago, jason said:

I want absolutely no part in any RB in the draft. It makes no sense whatsoever.

I said it before but the fact Mizzell is on the active roster tells me they are searching for something else in their 3rd RB.  They are serious enough about it to keep 4 RBs on the game day active rosters several weeks in a row.  He's even had a couple carries that normally I would expect to go to Cunningham (zero yards of course).  As the season goes along I won't be surprised if they switch Mizzell and Nall just to see what Nall can offer.   IIRC Nagy was part of the recruiting process to bring Nall here as a UDFA.   I also remember having Knile Davis on the team prior to the season.  That may have been just to help with reps in camp.  I just don't see Nagy as content as you are with the RB roster so I think someone is added to this group this offseason.  It could be a low dollar vet FA too to replace Cunningham.  

As for the other positions I'd be looking at drafting OT, OG, and a Safety.  The Saints have it right with maintaining a solid interior Oline in front of Brees.  I want Trubisky to have the same even if someone goes down. 

Whether it is RB, WR, or TE, I think Nagy will want to add at least one more fast player to the roster.  Of those 3 categories I can see us most likely to do nothing at WR with Wims replacing White and we keep Bellamy.  That might upset some folks but IMO Bellamy has done well for us this year.   Having a good move-TE is so critical to Nagy's scheme that someone sitting there in Rd 3 could be too good to pass up.  Unless Shaheen starts lighting it up I'll put this 2nd on the needs list.  Sims will be gone but it's unclear how much they like Braunecker or Brown.  If there is a good receiving TE talent sitting there in the 3rd or 4th Rd I can see us drafting him.   

That leaves RB where it seems clear Nagy prefers the athleticism and scheme versatility Cohen provides over Howard.  

9 hours ago, jason said:

I want absolutely no part in any RB in the draft. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Depends on value. If Alvin Kamara is there in round 3, better believe I am taking him. Drafts are coming down to bpa with fewer team needs and Pace has shown he will pass a need like OLB this last draft. We know OT and S/CB will be high priority, but if the value is not there and you cannot trade out you take a player you like. 

32 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Depends on value. If Alvin Kamara is there in round 3, better believe I am taking him. Drafts are coming down to bpa with fewer team needs and Pace has shown he will pass a need like OLB this last draft. We know OT and S/CB will be high priority, but if the value is not there and you cannot trade out you take a player you like. 

I'd be all in on that deal.  With RBs being in more demand lately, the good 3rd RB is often taken in Rd 2.  If not, then likely before we pick late in the 3rd Rd.   Then again everyone said Pace was crazy for taking Cohen in Rd 4.  If he really likes someone, at any position, he will just go get 'em.  

13 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I'd be all in on that deal.  With RBs being in more demand lately, the good 3rd RB is often taken in Rd 2.  If not, then likely before we pick late in the 3rd Rd.   Then again everyone said Pace was crazy for taking Cohen in Rd 4.  If he really likes someone, at any position, he will just go get 'em.  

1. We can't guarantee Kamara is Kamara on draft day.
  2. You're saying teams already have two starting RBs, and they're taking 3rd RBs in the 2nd round? Which team did this?
  3. Regarding Cohen, remember that I was the first person to point him out to the board. Aside from patting myself on the back, I'm pointing out that I agree with the overall idea of BPA trumps all, if that player pans out. If, however, a 9.9 BPA player trumps a 9.8 player who is in a dire position of need, it hurts twice as much when that 9.9 turns out to be a 4.9.

2 hours ago, jason said:
  2. You're saying teams already have two starting RBs, and they're taking 3rd RBs in the 2nd round? Which team did this?
  3. Regarding Cohen, remember that I was the first person to point him out to the board. Aside from patting myself on the back, I'm pointing out that I agree with the overall idea of BPA trumps all, if that player pans out. If, however, a 9.9 BPA player trumps a 9.8 player who is in a dire position of need, it hurts twice as much when that 9.9 turns out to be a 4.9.

Actually you need to pat yourself on the back every time you get the chance. We will go need and BPA at the time. I see no way they see that as a priority in the 3rd round, but can see one getting drafted. Cohen was drafted in the 4th round. Howard was a 5th round pick that the Bears got good value at. Nall was a PFA.  Will not be our 3rd round pick.

2 hours ago, jason said:

Let's take it from the top where I said...

"looking for someone who should be available on the 3rd day"     (This is Rd 4-7)

"keeping Jordan Howard for another year makes sense but adding him to the mix with Cohen and Howard gives us one more dynamic weapon"

and then I recently added... "I said it before but the fact Mizzell is on the active roster tells me they are searching for something else in their 3rd RB. "    

As to your first point we can't guarantee anyone taken in the draft.   That's a non-starter for discussion at any pick.   

Your second point...  I said... "With RBs being in more demand lately, the good 3rd RB is often taken in Rd 2."  RBs have clearly moved up in terms of draft value in recent years.    Here's just the last 3 years data showing the recent increase in RB draft position.  I'll stand by my assertion that talented RBs that used to be available in Rd 3 are more likely to be drafted in Rd 2 next year, if not that then likely before we pick late in Rd 3.

RBs in Rd 1 --   3 in 2018,   2 in 2017,   1 in 2016 

RBs in Rd 2 --     4 in 2018,  2 in 2017,    1 in 2016

You absolutely were all over Cohen but that doesn't change the narrative of the media widely criticizing Pace for drafting him in Rd 4.   Nor does it change Pace's draft history where when he really likes a player he goes and drafts them even if it's a bit early as compared to conventional draft wisdom.   There's a good list of players he moved up to draft, or drafted earlier than the media expected, and I might not get them all right:   Trubisky, Shaheen, AMiller, Whitehair, Floyd, Kwit, Cohen.   I absolutely feel that if he sees a BPA RB sitting there in Rd 3 who fits Nagy's scheme he'll draft him.   I don't think that is the most likely scenario for our 2019 draft because around that point in the draft RB grades tend to flatten out.    

What is our dire position of need?   Filling the RT position this offseason has to be at the top of the list because Massie is a FA.  Beyond that?   We're talking dire needs, not just needs.   

Did a mock. Was getting excited seeing Bryce Love RB slipping in this mock, but wasn't trading up.

Round 3 Pick 25: Anderson, Rodney, RB, Oklahoma (A+)

Possibly the highest rated RB but has been plagued with injuries. He can be a 3 down back. Would make a great compliment to Howard and Cohen and eventually replace Howard. 

Round 4 Pick 26: Dillard, Andre, OT, Washington State (A-)

Looks like a good LT prospect but can play RT too.  He will be a rd 2-3 prospect but getting an OT is high priority

Round 5 Pick 26: Jones, Hootie, SS, Alabama (C-)

Give me a C-, but Hootie doesn't allow completions, has size to match up w TEs, and can tackle. Pair him with Eddie Jackson again. 

Round 7 Pick 26: Adderley, Nassir, CB, Delaware (A+)

Like his IQ and heart. Nichols old teammate.  Plays FS but they list him at CB. Need some young talent to groom regardless.

Round 7 from Phi...OLB or BPA. 

I know it is early to start, but been on the recliner not feeling like moving much 🦃  So found the old first-pick.com site. 

On 11/22/2018 at 7:50 PM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Did a mock. Was getting excited seeing Bryce Love RB slipping in this mock, but wasn't trading up.

Possibly the highest rated RB but has been plagued with injuries. He can be a 3 down back. Would make a great compliment to Howard and Cohen and eventually replace Howard. 

Looks like a good LT prospect but can play RT too.  He will be a rd 2-3 prospect but getting an OT is high priority

Give me a C-, but Hootie doesn't allow completions, has size to match up w TEs, and can tackle. Pair him with Eddie Jackson again. 

Like his IQ and heart. Nichols old teammate.  Plays FS but they list him at CB. Need some young talent to groom regardless.

I know it is early to start, but been on the recliner not feeling like moving much 🦃  So found the old first-pick.com site. 

Not too early to start, I'd rather get some names out there now while the college games are still ongoing.   

The Suntimes sports writers have been doing a good job covering the back stories of this team and here is what they say about Mizzell, along with Nagy's quote.  I don't necessarily agree on Mizzell's advantages on the field but I can't argue too much with a coach who has completely turned around one of the worst offenses in the 2017 NFL season.  Below that quote the Suntimes linked to an article about how Nagy wants the Bears to run better.  So running better isn't an advantage MIzzell offers and apparently route running/pass catching isn't an advantage Howard offers.   

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/bears-lions-five-takaways-observations-analysis-week-12/ 

The Bears’ use of Mizzell likely will continue, even if it means fewer snaps for starter Jordan Howard. Mizzell has a skill set that Nagy likes for his offense.

“We feel like we have some advantages with him in the pass game,” Nagy said.

RELATED
• Eddie Jackson ‘could be playing some WR,’ but he’s dominating at safety instead
• Matt Nagy: Bears must run better, but fan concerns rooted in fantasy football

That’s not always the case with the slower Howard. The Bears designed the pick play that resulted in Mizzell’s first career touchdown a day before playing the Lions.

Mizzell lined up in the near left slot against former Bears linebacker Christian Jones and cut around receiver Allen Robinson, who turned to Daniel and impeded Jones’ path.

The touchdown came a play after Mizzell made a falling catch on a route out of the backfield for an 11-yard gain. Mizzell also ran for seven yards on a run-pass option play to close out the first quarter.

Mizzell’s nine snaps against the Lions were the most he has had since being promoted from the practice squad against the Bills on Nov. 4. He had only one play (one carry for a one-yard loss) against the Vikings.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2018 at 8:50 PM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I find that a realistic draft as far as needs. It is hard to say who the BPA at those rounds but I do think we address those positions.

I think we need another RB if we move on from Howard.

We need to get backup depth in the DB. For now we have Toliver who gets some playing time but not much behind the Ss.

Definitely OL help to develop. Also to consider replacing Long is in the mix as his injuries stack up. 

It would not bother me one bit if we draft OL with the 3rd and 4th round picks. Even with Coward probably being the RT we still need to upgrade backups and eventually replace Long and Leno. I think this group is above average but turning out to not be a power blocking group.

I should say in FA you can find some decent backups at a low price but need to eventually draft future starters.

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2018 at 8:50 PM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Threw out Loves name before his ACL injury, that may just dip him to our slot. Having Howard and Cohen healthy we would have the beneficiary of letting Love heal and learn the during the first quarter of the season before breaking him in.  Elevate Nall as FB/RB/TE because he has that skill set and Nagy loves using those short shuttle passes that fit them.

I'm fine with Nall, but hate drafting any RB. It's using a draft pick when one doesn't need to be used, and when the Bears don't have a large number of picks. If the Bears had ten picks or so, sure, burn one. But drafting a RB with the current roster and the current picks doesn't make much sense.

12 hours ago, jason said:

I'm fine with Nall, but hate drafting any RB. It's using a draft pick when one doesn't need to be used, and when the Bears don't have a large number of picks. If the Bears had ten picks or so, sure, burn one. But drafting a RB with the current roster and the current picks doesn't make much sense.

You are right, we can just sign Kareem Hunt and use the pick on another position.  

• 3 weeks later...

It's a highlight video but still Jordan Scarlett can rack up yards after contact.  Right now he is listed way down in the 5th/6th Rds.  He's caught a few passes in college but I have no idea how well he can run routes and catch.  In the Kentucky game around 1:50 he makes nice grab in the seam down the middle, then at 2:50 he drops what should have been an easy catch near the goal line.  He's someone to keep an eye on at the Combine.   There are some character issues on his record too that cost him the 2017 season.  Yet he did all he was asked to do and was allowed to return for 2018.    

Looks good.  I think the powers that will be , will do diligentence and find a good RB to add at a good value.  I personally can see Tony Pollard from Memphis being a Alvin Kamara type of draft pick. Had to share time with another good RB and his upside has not been shown yet. Would love to see him in the 4th round. We need to find a 3rd round OL to transition from long after this year.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2019/2/28/18245085/chicago-bears-meeting-running-backs-nfl-combine-draft-bryce-love-benny-snell-miles-sanders-rumors

The Bears have already met with four running backs that could be available in the mid to later rounds, and they are Stanford’s Bryce Love (per Mark Grote), Kentucky’s Benny Snell (per Mark Grote), Washington State’s James Williams (per Patrick Finley), and Penn State’s Miles Sanders (per Christian Shanafelt). Sanders said that he and Tarik Cohen would make an effective duo in Chicago.