Floyd's Contract

AZ54

Floyd IMO is still ascending.  I think with his body type we'll see that for a couple more years as he gains strength.  The decision on his 5th year option is due this offseason and with all the things he does well I don't see anyway we can let him go after next season.  So we're likely paying him the 5th year option which I believe is worth around $13-15mil.  I'd rather see if we can work out a 3 or 4yr extension and since he doesn't have elite sack numbers try to keep him for around $8-10mil/yr.  He's a good player but not elite in any category and his injury history mucks up the negotiating waters.  

If he's here for 4 more years (3 yr extension) he's just 30 when we can get his next contract.  That's still young enough to get a big payday.  He'd also be opposite Mack and that's a very good thing for Floyd as their strengths play off each other well.   It will mean the end of Aaron Lynch/Willie Young type players, FA veterans for which we seem to pay around $4-6mil collectively each season, and we'll be relying more on young players like Irving and Fitts.  

It might also mean saying goodbye to Amos but I prefer to keep the defensive front together vs.a SS in Amos.  In a way I'm glad we'll get to see Bush play for a game or two.  It will help make that decision.   

That would be the best case scenario. Hopefully this team feels communal in their conquest to be better and not to many teams chase them, they want to be here. He is not worth 13 million now, but might be if he keeps improving. With the big money contracts we have on the team, we need some cheap contracts to keep this team together. Coward? RT next year. If Callahan ends up getting a big contract offer somewhere else. We got 4 DBs on our PS and hopefully someone steps up. McManis is playing well but at 30 can not count on him to be our future at that position.  If would be nice to get Amos back but anything more than 4-5 a year will be out of reach. The problem is we have no depth at S. That is why seeing Bush play is a good spot to get a good reading on his improvement.