Bears at Vikings Official Game Thread (Sun, Dec 30, 3:25 PM CST/FOX/Bears +5, O/U 41)

adam

Week 17 - Flexed to the afternoon slot to align with LAR/SF and PHI/WAS games. Early line has the Vikings favored by 5. If they are assuming we are resting starters, fine, but it seems odd that the Vikings are favored by more than 3 at home against an 11-4 team. In comparison, the Ravens are favored by 5.5 at home against Cleveland. 

A lot on the line. Potential to get a first-round bye with a win and Rams loss. Also, the outcome of our game directly impacts who we play as the #6 seed. 

If we play everyone, I think we win another tough game 23-20. If we rest players, I think Minnesota wins 27-17.

What are the Vikings concerned about?  

https://www.vikings.com/news/notebook-vikings-defense-now-well-aware-of-trubisky-s-elusiveness

EAGAN, Minn. — The Vikings learned the hard way about Mitchell Trubisky’s athleticism in Week 11 at Soldier Field.

The Bears quarterback had 10 total rushes for 43 yards in Chicago’s 25-20 win. Most of his damage came in the first half when he had 37 yards on six attempts, and picked up three first downs on the ground.

Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer was among those who were a bit taken aback by Trubisky’s ability to elude defenders.

“I probably didn’t know he was as fast as he was, running,” Zimmer said. “He had some really good runs on us. We had to adjust during the course of the ball game.”

Vikings defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson was also a bit surprised.

“I thought he was fast … seeing him pull away from linebackers and shaking guys in the secondary,” Rchardson said. “We knew he wasn’t slow.”

Trubisky ranks fifth among NFL quarterbacks with 405 rushing yards, and he also has three rushing touchdowns on the season.

But those 10 rushing attempts in Week 11 were a career-high for Trubisky, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft.

The Vikings saw Trubisky in Week 5 of the 2017 season, when the quarterback has made his first NFL start.

Minnesota defensive tackle Linval Joseph was quick to point out Trubisky’s growth on the ground since then.

“In year one, when he first played against us, that was his first career start,” Joseph said. “Since his first game, and this will now be his third career game against us, he’s picking it up.

“He’s done a really good job of reading where he could run,” Joseph added. “We just have to stop him.”

The Vikings know that containing Trubisky could give Minnesota’s offense a few extra possessions Sunday at home.

If that happens, it could mean the difference between the Vikings getting into the playoffs or not this season.

“Just got to get to him, but you can’t change who you are,” Richardson said. “Little things here and there as far as game planning wise, but you still have to go out there and rush him.

“You’ve got to win your gap. If you win your gap, he’s got to go on to the next one,” Richardson added. “Hopefully he doesn’t make it.”

Added Joseph: “Their quarterback can really run. Really, you just have to do your job and not give him that big play. He’s a very good quarterback and he can run … we can’t let that be the game this time around.”

...and their injury report for this week.  For some reason the Bears site didn't list our injuries.  

https://www.vikings.com/team/injury-report/

Player Position Injury Wed Thu Fri Game Status

Anthony Barr LB Shoulder FP     (-)

C.J. Ham FB Elbow DNP     (-)

Linval Joseph DT Knee DNP     (-)

Eric Kendricks LB Hamstring DNP     (-)

David Morgan TE Knee FP     (-)

Mike Remmers G Low Back DNP     (-)

Xavier Rhodes CB Groin DNP     (-)

Marcus Sherels CB Foot DNP    

Looks like we’ve been shafted by the 49ers who haven’t turned up to play. 

I would try try for Trubisky to score a touchdown and get the score to 20-3 and play the 1st D for the 3rd qtr and then sit Mack and Hicks. 

If if we have a lead in the 4th around 10 pts I would start playing 2nd teamers across the board. 

Pissed off with how the 49ers are playing. 

That was some serious butt kicking we did.  Missing our two of our top three, then all top three WR for the second half and we still put up 24pts on their turf.  I"m glad to have Kyle Long back.  What a difference he makes inside. Even our 2nd string D was bringing it late in the game.   We have lots of injuries to sort out so hopefully all goes well but I can't see Miller returning this year.  

Way to finish strong.  12-4, Division Champ, #3 seed.  5-1 in our division, knocked Packers and vikings out of the playoffs.  First time winning at Minny since 2011 after notching our first win over the Packers at Soldier Field since 2010.   We were literally a play away from sweeping all three division teams this year after being dead last.  I think Nagy did a good job balancing playing to win in the second half while also filtering in backups.  Great team win.  Ending the season winning 9 of our last 10 games.  We are carrying momentum into the playoffs.  

I liked that we committed to the run it went a long way to shortening the game.  Loved watching Cousins and his WR's arguing on the sidelines at the end of the half.  There is a lot of dysfunction on that team.  Cousins sure doesn't look like an 84 million dollar "missing piece".  Was annoyed that the refs helped the Vikings get their only TD of the game with key 3rd down bail out calls. Thankfully that didn't continue throughout the second half.  I didn't get to tune in till the second quarter.  didn't see what happened to Miller was it serious/long term or is it something minor and we could still have him for the playoffs? Taylor Gabriel's injury?  Trying to get a feel for injuries.  

I am glad we knocked the Vikings out of the playoffs.  Playing them again next week would be tough, but, we have handled them this year.  They are losing their minds over in the land of Purple and it is a beautiful thing.  Purple tears are almost as satisfying as Green tears.  How bout the Pack getting shut out at GB 31-0.  I think we can handle the Eagles at home next week.  We don't know if it will be Foles, Went, or the backup that finished the game today.  We shouldn't take them lightly, they've been hot. But we've been hot as well.  Since starting out 3-3 we've only lost once since.  Should be a good game.  Win and we travel to LA.  That will be a tough but winnable game.  This season has already exceeded my expectations why not win the whole thing?

What Nagy did is take his young QB into what was a home playoff game for the Vikings, and he won without his best receivers on the field.  That was against one of the top 5 defenses in the league.  Seeing the Rams up as big as they were I would not have played the starters that much in the 2nd half.  Nagy, to his credit, wants it all and he wants his team knowing they can beat anyone anywhere.  

Refs were crap again, game should not have been that close. The Vikings only TD drive was gifted by the refs. Phantom calls left and right keeping the drive alive. Complete BS.

Otherwise, a huge win in a very hostile stadium in a game that meant everything to the Vikings. So we knocked both the Packers and Vikings out of the playoffs, won the Division, and now get a home game against the reigning SB champs.