Bears Free Agents

AZ54

Based on Spotrac.com here's the list of Bears who are FA this offseason and their last salary.  We have $19.6mil in cap space plus the certain $6.3mil we'll get when we cut Sims gives us $26mil to spend.   The only other cut that I think could happen would be Acho giving us another $2.375mil in cap space. 

Spotrac forecasts Callahan's market value to be  4yr $28mil.  I think coming off a broken foot and surgery lowers that.  If nothing else, stacked up against all his other missed games in recent years, he'll have difficulty finding a GM willing to commit 4yrs with a big bonus.  

With $26mil to spend who do you want back, or do you cut Acho and spend $28mil.  If you want to cut Parkey his cap hit is $4mil but his dead cap is $5.2mil.  You will lose $5.2mil of the $26mil to cut him.    

Massie  $6mil

White  $4.1mil   (he'll be gone)

Lynch  $4mil  

Callahan $1.9mil   (clear NB starter in the NFL when healthy)

Bellamy  $1.9mil  (core special teams player and Club Dub DJ who played ok at WR in limited spots finished with 14 rec  117yds)

O'Donnell  $1.5mil  (he punted much better this year but is not worth a big contract)  

Kush  $1.35mil  

Cunningham  $1.05mil   

Witzmann  $790k

Zach Miller $790k

Marcus Williams CB $790k

Nick Williams DE $705k

Patrick Scales $630k 

Amos  $628k

Isaiah Irving $510k  ERFA

Rashaad Coward  $510k  ERFA

For reference the total of the above contracts is $27.1mil.  Our rookie pool for Rd 3/4/5/7 needs to be about  $2.2mil   (3rd Rd - $700k,  4th Rd - $560k   5th Rd - $500k   7th Rd - $500k)

• Massie $6mil Nope.
  • White $4.1mil :lol:
  • Lynch $4mil Nope
  • Callahan $1.9mil Yes
  • Bellamy $1.9mil Yes
  • O'Donnell $1.5mil No
  • Kush $1.35mil Yes
  • Cunningham $1.05mil No
  • Witzmann $790k Yes
  • Zach Miller $790k No
  • Marcus Williams CB $790k No
  • Nick Williams DE $705k No
  • Patrick Scales $630k Yes
  • Amos $628k Yes
  • Isaiah Irving $510k ERFA Yes
  • Rashaad Coward $510k ERFA Yes

This is who I'd like us to resign.  We have a few that will command more money but also quite a few that we should be able to resign for reasonable contracts. 

Unrestricted FA's 

Massie, Callahan, O'Donnell (at the right price), Amos.  Possibly also Lynch and (I can't believe I'm typing this) Bellamy.  Bellamy has been an asset on special teams and has been a serviceable WR this year.  

Restricted FA's

Scales, Roy Robertson Harris, DeAndre Houston Carson.

ERFA

Isaiah Erving and Coward.  

7 hours ago, jason said:
  • Massie $6mil Nope.
  • Lynch $4mil Nope
  • Callahan $1.9mil Yes
  • Bellamy $1.9mil Yes
  • O'Donnell $1.5mil No
  • Kush $1.35mil Yes
  • Cunningham $1.05mil No
  • Witzmann $790k Yes
  • Zach Miller $790k No
  • Amos $628k Yes

7 hours ago, jason said:
  • Massie $6mil Nope.
  • Lynch $4mil Nope
  • Callahan $1.9mil Yes
  • Bellamy $1.9mil Yes
  • O'Donnell $1.5mil No
  • Kush $1.35mil Yes
  • Cunningham $1.05mil No
  • Witzmann $790k Yes
  • Zach Miller $790k No
  • Amos $628k Yes

Agreed on all except Miller.  He was signed to rehab only.  He does not affect the cap due to being a vet minimum.  He's been a mentor and an inspiration.  He should be offered a position somehow.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Agreed on all except Miller.  He was signed to rehab only.  He does not affect the cap due to being a vet minimum.  He's been a mentor and an inspiration.  He should be offered a position somehow.

They can make him a team ambassador or hire him as a quality control assistant.

Peace

I think we prioritize Calahan and lowball Amos. I think Bush can replace Amos as a starter. Forget Kush and bring back Witzmann, the guy that beat him out. Offer Massie a one year deal to allow Coward one more year to develop. 

Offer lynch a 3 year 15 million deal with only 7 million guaranteed so we can dump him next year if he goes back to being injured frequently.  

I think they bring Parkey back( not FA),  along with competition and hopefully try to replace him. 

Renegotiate with Long , look for a FA replacement with the money left we save if he doesn't take a pay cut. 

The rest doesn't matter. 

I think RRH is a restricted FA, we have to get him back.

how about hiring Miller to be TE coach or be involved in coaching the TE's.  He was a very talented and successful TE when healthy.  And a good guy all around, it'd be nice to have him as part of the staff in some way.  

I do think Parkey will still be here in the offseason and up through mini-camps and maybe even training camp but agree that we'd be foolish not to bring in competition.  There may even be some undrafted FA's that we could try out.  I'd like us to make an offer to Gould I have a feeling he'd be open to coming back.

I would be surprised if we didn't bring back RRH he's made too much of an impact to let him walk.  

Parkey is a young talented kicker.  From what I saw after the game, he's also a high character guy.  I absolutely want to see him get a chance at redemption.  A moment like Sunday will either galvanize or destroy him.  High character guys, especially men of faith, have stronger abilities to be mentally stronger.  I know that last comment may draw criticism, but I believe it to be true.

5 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Parkey is a young talented kicker.  From what I saw after the game, he's also a high character guy.  I absolutely want to see him get a chance at redemption.  A moment like Sunday will either galvanize or destroy him.  High character guys, especially men of faith, have stronger abilities to be mentally stronger.  I know that last comment may draw criticism, but I believe it to be true.

I agree with everything you said except giving Parkey another shot. One can have all those qualities and still not perform well at a job. He missed too many kicks this year, and he's not very clutch.

4 hours ago, jason said:

I agree with everything you said except giving Parkey another shot. One can have all those qualities and still not perform well at a job. He missed too many kicks this year, and he's not very clutch.

There were 2 kicks Parkey had 2 win games this year and his missed both of them.  We need more from that position. 

Peace

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

For those who are walking away from Massie who are you looking to put at RT?   Coward?   Or FA and how much will that FA be cheaper and better than Massie?   Draft pick?   

These are the FA available per Spottrac.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/right-tackle/

Draft pick. There are a handful of guys who are slotted at OT with roughly 3rd-4th round grades.

On 1/7/2019 at 12:59 PM, jason said:
  • Massie $6mil Nope.
  • Lynch $4mil Nope
  • Callahan $1.9mil Yes
  • Bellamy $1.9mil Yes
  • O'Donnell $1.5mil No
  • Kush $1.35mil Yes
  • Cunningham $1.05mil No
  • Witzmann $790k Yes
  • Zach Miller $790k No
  • Amos $628k Yes

As much as I hate to say it, I think Cunningham is back. Of the others, they will probably bring Lynch back at a lower number. I do not want O'Donnell, and if you cut Sims and Parkey, you save some additional cap there as well even if you do incur some dead money.

For those wanting Parkey, he had the 2nd lowest combined kicking pct in the league (only behind Boswell) and had the lowest percentage of kicks missed inside 42 yards.

3 hours ago, adam said:

As much as I hate to say it, I think Cunningham is back. Of the others, they will probably bring Lynch back at a lower number. I do not want O'Donnell, and if you cut Sims and Parkey, you save some additional cap there as well even if you do incur some dead money.

For those wanting Parkey, he had the 2nd lowest combined kicking pct in the league (only behind Boswell) and had the lowest percentage of kicks missed inside 42 yards.

Parkey has a fundamental problem in that he lines up differently for each kick and more often than not his plant foot lands at a different spot relative to the ball.  I didn't realize this until my son, who is a former soccer player,  pointed it out while watching a game weeks ago.  From there I started watching him more closely.  In the second game winning attempt he took an extra small half step to the left versus his first kick.  That was likely his adjustment because on the first kick the ball went through close to the left upright.  He usually strikes the ball well but without a consistent approach angle to the ball, and consistent plant foot placement, he connects at different parts of his leg swing and it's coming off his foot at all sorts of angles.  Hence every kick is it's own adventure.   

I hate to say it but he is here until they replace him.  They have to find a cheap kicker. Draft pick or FA. He should be gone but may not be.

Also I think they draft a RT and go with Coward.  He didn't sit on the PS, he was one of the 53 all year. They had a reason they did that. Is it a risk, absolutely but have to have some cheap starters going forward. 

11 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Parkey has a fundamental problem in that he lines up differently for each kick and more often than not his plant foot lands at a different spot relative to the ball.  I didn't realize this until my son, who is a former soccer player,  pointed it out while watching a game weeks ago.  From there I started watching him more closely.  In the second game winning attempt he took an extra small half step to the left versus his first kick.  That was likely his adjustment because on the first kick the ball went through close to the left upright.  He usually strikes the ball well but without a consistent approach angle to the ball, and consistent plant foot placement, he connects at different parts of his leg swing and it's coming off his foot at all sorts of angles.  Hence every kick is it's own adventure.   

AZ,
Oh yeah, it is very apparent that he doesn't have a consistent setup. There is no way you can kick like that long term. 

If we are stuck with him, he really needs to train this offseason to fix those issues.