Draft plan

jason

Two things to remember; Howard very nearly got 950 yards rushing despite an extremely slow start.  He also developed his catching skills to a respectable level. I would think if Trubisky should be given an opportunity to flourish in the offense so to should Howard.  I’m struggling to get the ‘why’ of the value for trading away Howard.

And secondly, last I  checked Nall is still on the team’s roster.  He looked pretty damn good in the preseason.  I’m as stumped as some of you as to why Mizzel got as much playing time as he did but there must have been some knowledge Nagy had that he decided to go that route. 

This year they installed a new offense,  so Howard didn't get a large amount of work, that does not mean he doesn't have valve on this team. At 750 thousand,  dumb to get rid of him. After Nagy speaking today, I would say Hunt will be on the team next year with some kind of suspension.  So he gets here in time for us to make a Super bowl run, perfect. 

The question isnt whether the Bears want Howard, but whether Howard wants the Bears.

Howard is a tough feature back. He wants to be getting 1,300+ yards somewhere getting 22+ carries a game. He simply wont get that here because of our offensive scheme.

So one assumes that after next year, when he is a free agent, he will sign somewhere with a more power running centric scheme.

Now the question isn't whether Howard is good, but whether if he was a free agent after this year, you'd spend a 3rd round pick to keep him for one more year knowing he'd be gone after that.

If your answer is no, then you understand why trading him now is a good option, especially with Hunt out there.

Te Pats have been doing this for years; trading GOOD players in the last years of their deals, and thriving as a result.

We all like Howard, we'd all like to keep him on the team, but if hes leaving anyway, it's foolish not to get something for him now.

Howard is a cheap productive player something we need right now. The best we would get would be maybe a 6 or 7. Look at recent trades RBs, not high picks. Also a strong RB class in the draft. 2 years from now just doesn't matter.  Every year takes on a new life when your a successful team, always changing. Hunt has a suspension coming, 6,9, all season.  Hunt will be a backup plan. They will sign or draft a RB to be in the mix.

RB isn't a weakness but Nagy will want to add more weapons.  I will say OL will be addressed first, RT and RG . An injured Long , Coward are risky options, so they will  hit the pavement running. 

15 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Howard is a cheap productive player something we need right now. The best we would get would be maybe a 6 or 7. Look at recent trades RBs, not high picks. Also a strong RB class in the draft. 2 years from now just doesn't matter.  Every year takes on a new life when your a successful team, always changing. Hunt has a suspension coming, 6,9, all season.  Hunt will be a backup plan. They will sign or draft a RB to be in the mix.

RB isn't a weakness but Nagy will want to add more weapons.  I will say OL will be addressed first, RT and RG . An injured Long , Coward are risky options, so they will  hit the pavement running. 

I agree I wouldnt trade him for a 6 or a 7.

On 1/18/2019 at 10:51 PM, Stinger226 said:

Will anybody complain if we take Paris Campbell/ WR/ OSU. Our pick is about his draft position value.

After reading about him and then watching some highlights I wouldn't like the pick.  If he were a better route runner then yes. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/01/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-parris-campbell/

I saw how Miller struggled to learn this offense and guys like Wims and White just never got it.  Kevin White is his own special case but it's still clear you better know your assignments in detail in this offense.  While Campbell fits what we need athletically it won't matter if he can't learn how to run the routes correctly.  If the route runnings issues are correct then that means he's basically a KR early on.  We have a chance to compete for the Superbowl this year so from our 3rd Rd pick I'd like to see more significant contributions.   Or maybe it's worded better to say we should draft someone more capable of contributing their rookie year.  

I'm not sure who can be that player for us in Rd 3 but in my mind it's going to be someone who drops.  It could be an OT and even if they end on on the bench behind Coward they could still be more capable of contributing than Campbell will be his rookie year.  Pace has his work cutout for him with this pick.  

Your Picks:

Round 3 Pick 23: Boyd, Kris, CB, Texas (A+)

Need to groom a replacement for Prince sooner than later. Might be a solid replacement if we lose Callahan.

Round 4 Pick 24: Samuel, Deebo, WR, South Carolina (A+)

Bonus pick, Deebo is a homerun threat anytime he touches the ball. Solid route runner and excellant KR. Replaces White/Bellamy?

Round 5 Pick 24: Wingard, Andrew, SS, Wyoming (A+)

Underrated DB, excels in the box but can man centerfielder. Deadly speed especially playing the run.

Round 7 Pick 8 (Phi): Fritts, Brandon, TE, North Carolina  Why not take a shot on a playmaking TE that used to play with Trubisky. Insurance and a threat to Shaheen to elevate his game.

Round 7 Pick 24: Love, Bryce, RB, Stanford (A+)

Got my RB in the 7th. Huge potential if his ACL recovers with no limits.  Redshirt him while Nall steps up.

I would be pleased with a draft like this. 

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Your Picks:

Need to groom a replacement for Prince sooner than later. Might be a solid replacement if we lose Callahan.

Bonus pick, Deebo is a homerun threat anytime he touches the ball. Solid route runner and excellant KR. Replaces White/Bellamy?

Underrated DB, excels in the box but can man centerfielder. Deadly speed especially playing the run.

Round 7 Pick 8 (Phi): Fritts, Brandon, TE, North Carolina  Why not take a shot on a playmaking TE that used to play with Trubisky. Insurance and a threat to Shaheen to elevate his game.

Got my RB in the 7th. Huge potential if his ACL recovers with no limits.  Redshirt him while Nall steps up.

I hate drafting a RB, but if it happens, that's the scenario I would accept. 7th round guys should be risks. Huge upside guys for whatever reason, but the potential of being dropped from the league in less than a year.

Having said all that, if there is one position I hate the idea of drafting more than RB, it's TE. Brown, Shaheen, Burton, Braunecker. The Bears simply don't need another one. Burton is the guy. The second guy has to be Shaheen, or it's admitting a wasted draft pick. Besides, behind Burton it just needs to be a guy who either serves as a 3rd tackle or creates a ridiculous mismatch (i.e. Shaheen). Beyond that, the third TE on the roster is a guy you pick up in free agency.

I would say with Sims leaving,  a blocking TE, cheap in FA. I think we already have on team our upgrades at OL, Dejon Allen and Coward.  Beavers may be developing into a swing OT. Also we have a few CBs that we are developing,  tolliver,  Joseph,  Franklin and Mincy. I think our pipeline comes from them. We need to draft some S prospects.  We tend to overlook who we already have,  eager to add new, our future starters may already be here. 

5 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Your Picks:

I like Kris Boyd.  I'm not sure he's got the short-area quickness needed to play inside but he's physical and seems to match up well outside.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUbOjt9J0o

Deebo Samuel in the 4th Rd would give us some really good depth in the WR corps.  He's fast but I'm not sure he has elite speed.  He might run between a 4.4-4.5 forty but he's quick in and out of his cuts.  I think Bellamy is locked in as our special teamer so we'd keep 6 WRs.  I'd cut Mizzell and go with just 3 RBs one of which won't be named Cunningham.

I'm not sure about Wingard.  He looks like a player who will struggle against NFL competition.  I just watched this game against Wash St so small sample size but he's not all that physical especially in traffic.  If the play is right in front of him he'll make it but so can a lot of players.  His teammate and #6 Marcus Epps caught my eye on several plays. He's not that big and it's hard to say how fast he is but he sure plays with a lot of heart.  If he has enough speed I'd bring him in as a UDFA and let him compete for a practice squad spot and see what happens.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KauORdzkkzg

https://county10.com/wyoming-footballs-marcus-epps-a-finalist-for-2018-burlsworth-trophy/

Brandon Fritts looks like Ben Braunecker.  I'm not seeing any special traits and since we already have Braunecker I'd pass.  What I want is a George Kittle type with the speed to stretch the field and fill the Trey Burton role down the road.  Ravian Pierce looks like a Burton clone.  

Bryce Love in the 7th Rd?  Absolutely.  

13 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I like Kris Boyd.  I'm not sure he's got the short-area quickness needed to play inside but he's physical and seems to match up well outside.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUbOjt9J0o

Deebo Samuel in the 4th Rd would give us some really good depth in the WR corps.  He's fast but I'm not sure he has elite speed.  He might run between a 4.4-4.5 forty but he's quick in and out of his cuts.  I think Bellamy is locked in as our special teamer so we'd keep 6 WRs.  I'd cut Mizzell and go with just 3 RBs one of which won't be named Cunningham.

I'm not sure about Wingard.  He looks like a player who will struggle against NFL competition.  I just watched this game against Wash St so small sample size but he's not all that physical especially in traffic.  If the play is right in front of him he'll make it but so can a lot of players.  His teammate and #6 Marcus Epps caught my eye on several plays. He's not that big and it's hard to say how fast he is but he sure plays with a lot of heart.  If he has enough speed I'd bring him in as a UDFA and let him compete for a practice squad spot and see what happens.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KauORdzkkzg

https://county10.com/wyoming-footballs-marcus-epps-a-finalist-for-2018-burlsworth-trophy/

Brandon Fritts looks like Ben Braunecker.  I'm not seeing any special traits and since we already have Braunecker I'd pass.  What I want is a George Kittle type with the speed to stretch the field and fill the Trey Burton role down the road.  Ravian Pierce looks like a Burton clone.  

Bryce Love in the 7th Rd?  Absolutely.  

These were just the players available in first-pick.com's mock draft.  I try to read some of the players pros and cons when selecting best available. Wingard didn't look NFL worthy in that clip you posted. Might have to dig deeper to find a SS.  I do trust Pace with these past 2-3 drafts that he will find guys that fit.

6 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

These were just the players available in first-pick.com's mock draft.  I try to read some of the players pros and cons when selecting best available. Wingard didn't look NFL worthy in that clip you posted. Might have to dig deeper to find a SS.  I do trust Pace with these past 2-3 drafts that he will find guys that fit.

Just keep throwing the names out there.  This early it's hard to figure out who is worthy of Day 3 picks and draft boards are all over the place.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Just keep throwing the names out there.  This early it's hard to figure out who is worthy of Day 3 picks and draft boards are all over the place.  

Pace has the luxury of only 4 picks.  I know it's not a luxury, but narrowing of options  does give him a clearer path to find his gems.  I like his odds based on track record.