Chuck Pagano

Alaskan Grizzly

4 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Pagano is a high character guy.  His players love him.  He should do well here.

Yeah I see he’s had some pretty good success on the D side of things. Similar to Fangio.  Never really knew him to be defensive oriented but yeah he is revered by his guys.  Should meld good with Nagy.  

I know there is a lot of talk about his record as a HC. To me, the biggest jump in coaching is from Coordinator to HC. Not many can do it as seen by the revolving door each year. Some guys are also better suited as Coordinator only handled one side of the ball. I think Pagano is the perfect transition from Fangio. He is well-liked by players and will fit seamlessly into the locker room. 

4 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

He had one of the greatest defenses with Baltimore in 2011. I think personality wise, he will be fun, loved, and fit in with Club Dub. The defense could elevate from respected to feared because he does like to turn up the pressure, which also means risking more. 

I wasn't familiar with Pagano's background but after doing a bit of research I think he's the perfect fit.  Scheme wise what he does fits our players perfectly.  I was always one of those fans who didn't like how often Fangio would rush 3 and just cover on 3rd and long.  Sometimes he'd even rush 2 and drop 9 into coverage.  Overall Fangio's defense worked very well and I regret losing him.  However I believe the talent we have now can do even better with the right timing on aggressive play calls and we won't see those games where we shutdown a team for 3 quarters only to give up 10-14pts in the last quarter.  

We have the coverage ability in the secondary plus with Trevathan, Smith, and Floyd, Pagano can mix up coverages similar to what Fangio did but he'll blitz more often.  Everything I've read says Pagano likes to make the offense do things according to his schedule, meaning speed up the play force the ball out early.   On top of that his background before being a DC was as an outstanding DB coach.  He coached some of the best pass coverage units in the NFL before he was the DC in Baltimore and that wasn't always done with Pro Bowl talent.   

When I first heard we hired Pagano my first reaction was a little meh, as the extent of my knowledge of Chuck was his time as HC of the Colts.  A HC stint that started out well but didn't end well.  But when I took a closer look his final season was without Andrew Luck, in his time there he wasn't exactly given much to work with by their GM.  I'd say he got about as much as he could with the talent they had to work with.  In 6 seasons he only had 1 losing season (his last season).  First 3 season's he made the playoffs each of those three seasons advancing further into the playoffs.  Prior to that he had success in Clev, Oak, and Balt as DB coach and as a DC for the Ravens.  

He's definitely of solid quality character, I feel like his personality, coaching style and the type of defense he likes to run that he showed in Baltimore to me make him a good fit here, he shares a similar philosophy to that of Nagy. The guys on D are going to like him and want to play hard for him.  If it wasn't going to be Donatelli, this could be about the closest to a smooth transition.  He brings an aggressive style that fits the talent we have.  Vic is hard to replace and it's big shoes to fill but if I had one knock on Vic it was that he could get a bit conservative at times and didn't blitz much.  Chuck I feel will be more aggressive in those areas.  I feel like this is a solid to potentially great hire.

33 minutes ago, adam said:

There was some talk that Ed Reed might come in as a Secondary Coach. That would be some crazy amount of knowledge to impart on Jackson and the other DBs.

if we lose Donatelli, then yes by all means.

So it looks like they went with another former DB in Deshea Townsend as the new DB coach.  Used to play for the Steelers and according to his bio has had a hand in a few players’ success as a coach in recent years.   I personally was more interested in seeing how Ed Reed would’ve done but oh well. 

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2019/1/18/18188869/chicago-bears-hire-deshea-townsend-defensive-backs-coach-ronell-williams-defensive-quality-control

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Ed Reed is not coaching, it was suggested  but  this guy has been coaching several years now. They have good reasons for what they do,  we will see.

It is a good time in Bears fandom, and I can confidently say that you are right, they know better than we do. That hasnt always been true lol, but it sure is now.

On 1/20/2019 at 1:14 AM, BearFan NYC said:

It is a good time in Bears fandom, and I can confidently say that you are right, they know better than we do. That hasnt always been true lol, but it sure is now.

sure is a good time to be a Bears fan.  It's equally sweet seeing the Packers on the downturn.  Was talking to a friend who is a huge packers fan he doesn't have high hopes.  They got their new coach or should I say assistant coach.  Rodgers runs that team.