Defensive FA Targets

AZ54

Found this on the web and  thought I'd post it here.  

https://www.chicagoaudible.com/four-players-pagano-chicago/

I don't think Lynch will be back, and certainly not at $4mil/yr.  That leaves the option of bringing back Acho and letting Irving or Fitts step into a more active role.  They could let Acho go and bring in someone like John Simon to take Lynch's spot while letting young guys get more snaps.  That would save about $1mil.  

In the spirit of free agency (coaches in this instance); I was reading about a few potential asst. defensive coaches Pagano could try to bring to Chicago.  One is former Safety Ed Reed (who played for Pagano while in Baltimore) and Rob Ryan (yes one of the two sons of Buddy - wouldn’t that be interesting?).  I’m not personally a fan of Ryan’s but in another article I read they say he’s been really successful with LB development; a crappy overall coordinator but a good position coach.  

https://dawindycity.com/2019/01/14/chicago-bears-reed-ryan/

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

In the spirit of free agency (coaches in this instance); I was reading about a few potential asst. defensive coaches Pagano could try to bring to Chicago.  One is former Safety Ed Reed (who played for Pagano while in Baltimore) and Rob Ryan (yes one of the two sons of Buddy - wouldn’t that be interesting?).  I’m not personally a fan of Ryan’s but in another article I read they say he’s been really successful with LB development; a crappy overall coordinator but a good position coach.  

https://dawindycity.com/2019/01/14/chicago-bears-reed-ryan/

Ed Reed played for Pagano in college too so they have a lot of experience together.   I'm not sure Ed will be a good coach simply because great players aren't always the best coaches.  If he's an assistant to the DB coach that might be ok.  

I think with our lack of money , the key will be resigning our own guys. Then we will be replacing those that leave. 

In order of importance:

Callahan 

Amos 

Massie

RRH

Lynch

All of the RFA and ERFAs.

Because of our success,  everyone is going to be making more money. 

I will say probably only make one decent signing other than our own guys.

We are blessed to have the luxury of having high character top shelf athletes on every defensive unit.  These players make ordinary players better, so success can be somewhat predictable with whoever we sign.  It also means value signings will be very attainable.  The key is sustainability while attrition occurs.  Develop the next Hicks, Mack, Goldman, Smith, Jackson and Fuller. That's how the Ravens and Seahawks stay in the mix year after year.