Massie-yah or nay?

Stinger226

I was reading some stats.  We had the 11th ranked OL in the league last year . Massie was ranked 29th overall of all OTs. The last 8 weeks of the season,  he was the best pass blocking RT in the league.  When people mention Massie , we always say we need to upgrade the position.  He has actually been playing well.  I think we should resign him for 3 yrs, 20 mil with 10  mil G. So in 2 years we can cut him with no dead money.  We draft his replacement or give Coward another year to develop , build up our depth. We should draft a RG-RT to take over what ever spot opens up first. I think with the maturation of Daniel's and Whitehair,  the line improves.  

I would resign Massie as long as it is a reasonable team friendly deal, he's serviceable and has played decent, but it wouldn't hurt to look for a long term upgrade.  Whether that's Coward, Sowell, or someone we draft or sign in FA.  We do need to address RG largely due to Long's injury history. Witzman played ok in his absence.  I like the progress we've gotten from Daniels and Whitehair.  It's always good to look for upgrades and depth at O-line.  I feel like overall our line play got better as this season went on.  You can never have enough talent in the trenches.  If you can't control the line of scrimmage you'll struggle elsewhere.  Getting Mark back as O-line coach has helped that unit improve this season.  Haven't looked ahead much at the 2019 draft to see what O-line prospects will be there to target.

It would be wise to keep him. Continuity is key and this is year two installing the offense.  No sense to create any restrictions or set backs to learn if a replacement can maintain his level or exceed it. Sign him to a deal like you mentioned and groom a player while giving him game time experience.

What all of you said.  He is more than serviceable.  I don't know enough about talent or cap space so I leave that up to the team but I have no problem with him coming back the way he played this year.    And I am an inside out believer.  You can never have to many good OF linemen or DF linemen.

With all the shitty OL in the league,  I can see him getting a 4 year deal for 8 mil a year , like 15 guaranteed.  He is 28 or 29 , and someone will pay him . We look at him as very average but as the 29th overall ranked tackle in the league,  he gets some money. Look at all the bears OL we let go that are starting.  Condom in Minnesota comes to mind. 2 are starting on Buffalo we let go. 

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

With all the shitty OL in the league,  I can see him getting a 4 year deal for 8 mil a year , like 15 guaranteed.  He is 28 or 29 , and someone will pay him . We look at him as very average but as the 29th overall ranked tackle in the league,  he gets some money. Look at all the bears OL we let go that are starting.  Condom in Minnesota comes to mind. 2 are starting on Buffalo we let go. 

I'd like to keep him around because I think there's a comfort zone there.  He still struggles with speed but did improve this past year.  Whether that was the result of better Oline coaching or just his own work it was nice to see.  However, he's going to get a pay raise via FA so how much he wants to stay here on a slightly lesser deal remains to be seen.  I can easily see him getting your target $8mil/yr.  Just in terms of net % cap hit that's roughly the same salary as he received on his $6mil/yr deal with us a few years ago.  

Then the business side of things gets in my way and I start thinking what if Coward is ready?   He clearly wasn't ready this past year but he showed a ton of potential as a pass blocker IMO.  Coward is a FA as well but won't command anywhere near the same contract.   Ryan Pace has to sort out who's who in this battle and he has to keep it under wraps as long as possible.  Let Coward know he's going to be the starting RT too soon and his contract demands likely go up.  Tell him he's likely a backup next year but can compete for the starting job and he signs for less money.   

If Massie is worth $8mil and Coward is worth $2-3mil/yr then the extra 5-6 mil can be used to sign someone like Gould.  Now it becomes a question of are we a better team with Coward and Gould   or     Massie and Parkey?  Insert whatever FA you want there instead of Gould because it's that simple:  $4-5mil for a FA plus Coward.      

I think that the fact they kept him on the roster all year means something. If they let Massie leave without a offer then that suggests they think he's ready. Probably resign Coward for 4 year 9 million  . He was a DT , I don't see other teams chasing him. I'm not sure the extra money will go to Gould,  he will command 4  mil a year, I think they use it to get Amos or Callahan back. Callahan has injury issues so I don't think they will offer him a valued contract.  I think they use the money and go after a FA Slot CB. Haven't look at who is available yet. 

13 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think that the fact they kept him on the roster all year means something. If they let Massie leave without a offer then that suggests they think he's ready. Probably resign Coward for 4 year 9 million  . He was a DT , I don't see other teams chasing him. I'm not sure the extra money will go to Gould,  he will command 4  mil a year, I think they use it to get Amos or Callahan back. Callahan has injury issues so I don't think they will offer him a valued contract.  I think they use the money and go after a FA Slot CB. Haven't look at who is available yet. 

If we let Massie go then we can re-sign both Amos and Callahan, if we want to.  Regarding Coward my question to Harry Hiestand is can he be as good as Massie (or better) not in Week 1 but by Week 16?  If that answer is yes then I'm absolutely moving forward with Coward. 

I don't think we'll target Amos as a priority at all.  We might offer him a deal but I suspect it will be in the middle range for SS which on Spotrac appears to be around $4mil/yr.   Last year I said we should extend Amos' contract but at the time I thought we could get that done for $4mil/yr.  Considering that Tony Jefferson was given $8.5mil/yr by Baltimore, Amos is likely to find a team willing to give him $6.5mil/yr.  I don't think we'll be keeping Amos around.  Deon Bush didn't play that poorly when he filled in for Jackson.  He's not Eddie Jackson of course but I think he can be Adrian Amos, even if their skill sets are a little bit different.   

If Coward gets your proposed $2.25mil/yr then the cap savings we'd see from letting Amos and Massie leave is about $10mil.  After cutting Sims we'll have $26mil but we'll need $3mil for rookie pool.  Give Callahan $5mil/yr and then we have some reasonable options in FA with about $13mil to spend.   

I've seen elsewhere someone propose extending the contracts on Trevathan and Long.  I don't mind giving either player 2 more years with some guarantee now that can lower their cap hits.  When he next hits FA Trevathan will be 30 years old.  That's the beginning of the decline and is a tough spot to be in for an ILB.  Trevathan is still a good player but he's already being shown up by Roquan Smith.  Next year Smith will make him look even slower.  Kyle Long's incentive would be to retire as a Bear.  He'll be 32 when his current contract ends but he has a $9.6mil cap hit next season and $8.9mil in 2020.  If between these two extensions we can save $3mil then it helps.  With $16mil Pace can re-sign Bellamy, RRH, Scales, Irving, Witzmann, Kush, and Braunecker.  He'd have a little bit extra to sign a vet FA SS, or he could easily go after Gould if he's not franchise tagged.  

22 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think Joel Iggy is Trevathans replace after next year. We kept 4 CBs on the practice squad.  I think between Toliver and them we find a couple of players. Joseph is one to keep an eye on.

3 years down the road is when we need the big money for Trubisky.  At that time players like Amukamara and Trevathan will be off the books, or if they are here it will be at a much lower cap hit.  A year earlier we'll need to re-sign Jackson and that will be at least $12mil/yr.   I think adding a year or two to Trevathan's deal is possible, especially if it lowers our cap hit in 2019, and then we let Iggy take over.  

I need to add that Floyd will play into this.  It might be a decision to keep Floyd over Trevathan and let Iggy take over in 2020.