The Rams?

adam

Man, if we beat the Eagles, I can't see how we would've lost to either the Rams or Saints. The Rams won without Gurley and beat the Saints in New Orleans.  Funny to see Trubisky still have the 3rd highest passing yards in the playoffs (per game) only behind Brady and Rivers (who were in a shootout).

3 hours ago, adam said:

Now seeing the KC NE game, Parkey screwed us. We beat all these teams and it is not even close. The one interesting consistent factor for these teams? Elite kickers. 

It is interesting what is going on with Robbie Gould, or what has not happened.  First off, the 49ers have a ton of cap space and nobody of note among their own FAs to worry about signing.  As good as Gould has been for them why didn't they already extend his contract?   That seems like a slam dunk decision given where their roster is at.  They can easily franchise tag him so it's not likely he departs to return to the Bears.  What is the "situation" Gould is looking for?  

https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/article/49ers-Gould-caps-brilliant-two-season-stretch-13507138.php

Gould said the 49ers “check a lot of boxes” for me and cited everything from their community-relations department to what he termed one of the most cohesive locker rooms of his 14-year career.

Still, he’s clearly not ready to fully commit until he sees what type of financial commitment the 49ers will make to him.

These “are situations you look for,” Gould said when asked about returning to the 49ers. “When is it going to happen? It will happen when it happens.”

14 hours ago, adam said:

That was pretty bad but you can't let the game come down to a single call. Should have never been that close. 

Was thinking about this and can’t say I agree. How often have we heard that the NFL is a ‘game of inches’?  Where you hear Al Pacino infamously give that very speech in “Any Given Sunday”? Where we’re to a point where Refs look at Surface Pros to determine whether a finger or an inch of forearm skin touched a deflected punt return (NE vs KC).  Whether we like it or not this is the NFL we find ourselves in. Sure it’s great to think that teams should be like Alabama where they constantly blow out their competition (until they meet a determined Clemson team) but that’s  not the way it is these days.  Playoff games especially.  The games yesterday were exactly what we as fans want; close and OT games. Really...anyone can win in these instances.  Our team had that chance but lost, as Cris Collingsworth said, on a double doink.  That ball goes one inch right or bounced the ‘right’ way over the crossbar who knows how far our team would have gone? 

As far as that call yesterday in the NO/LA game; sorry but that’s what shouldn’t happen.  

15 hours ago, adam said:

That was pretty bad but you can't let the game come down to a single call. Should have never been that close. 

For sure.  I only saw the first half.  Had the Saints converted in the red zone rather than settling for FG's they could have been up 21-3 easily.  Instead in the waning moments of the first half they are only up 13-3 then give up a half ending TD drive to only lead by 3 at the half.  They gave the Rams momentum going into the second half and the ball to start the second half.  I didn't see any of the Chiefs, Pats game.   Seems like every team I've rooted for in this playoffs has lost.  Maybe I should root for the Pats so they lose to the Rams.  After our loss and seeing what's transpired I believe we could have been been in the Super Bowl.  It's been hard to be interested in the playoffs after we got eliminated.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Was thinking about this and can’t say I agree. How often have we heard that the NFL is a ‘game of inches’?  Where you hear Al Pacino infamously give that very speech in “Any Given Sunday”? Where we’re to a point where Refs look at Surface Pros to determine whether a finger or an inch of forearm skin touched a deflected punt return (NE vs KC).  Whether we like it or not this is the NFL we find ourselves in. Sure it’s great to think that teams should be like Alabama where they constantly blow out their competition (until they meet a determined Clemson team) but that’s  not the way it is these days.  Playoff games especially.  The games yesterday were exactly what we as fans want; close and OT games. Really...anyone can win in these instances.  Our team had that chance but lost, as Cris Collingsworth said, on a double doink.  That ball goes one inch right or bounced the ‘right’ way over the crossbar who knows how far our team would have gone? 

As far as that call yesterday in the NO/LA game; sorry but that’s what shouldn’t happen.  

My thoughts exactly.  It would be different if a player or coach made a mistake.  Refs blew that game.

If the defender doesn't interfere, it's probably a TD.

11 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Even if they didn't score they would have had a first down within the 5 and run the clock out. Its amazing how one play changes games and SB teams.  How many one plays changed our season.  That's football. 

Agree, and just looking at these playoffs.  We get eliminated by a missed FG, the Saints game no call that cost the Saints, the overtime games, the costly offsides for the Chiefs that cost them, there a lot of close games this playoffs.  It's easy to look at this post season and think if we'd have made that FG we have every reason to believe we could have made it to the Super Bowl.  Coulda, shoulda, woulda, right?   Even in the regular season how many one plays changed our season for good or bad.  There were games we were one play away from winning, there were games where we won on a critical play.  

If we had an above average kicker,  we would have been 13-3, a bye , played Rams in Chicago,  had the chance to beat the Saints. We would have been in the Super bowl.  That is what we need to fix the most. A good kicker. Our defense will keep every game close , kicker is #1 priority.  

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

If we had an above average kicker,  we would have been 13-3, a bye , played Rams in Chicago,  had the chance to beat the Saints. We would have been in the Super bowl.  That is what we need to fix the most. A good kicker. Our defense will keep every game close , kicker is #1 priority.  

I would argue that the offense getting better is the number one priority.  As the season progressed, we dipped in scoring and TOP.  Notice our D faltered in the end to let the Eagles go ahead. To keep our D fresh, that to me is the key.