Why the defense will be better

Stinger226

With the of DCs there is some doubts of how it will affect our defense.  Fangio was great but remember he was the DC under Fox and it didn't look as good because the horses were not in place. Pagano comes in with the team still ascending.  As the offense gets better , it will benefit the D. More ball control and more points puts the D in a better position to be more aggressive which fits Pagano to a tee. He will blitz more than Fangio.

Player positions:

CBs- Fuller is in his prime and should remain there for a few more years. Prince should have  one more solid year before he tapers off. Callahan may be back if not , we will add a new face or go with Tolliver more in the slot. That is probably the only spot that may be a step back. I think we could be bringing back Callahan because of his injury history may not get a big contract offer. If we lose him , I think we should look at Jimmy Ward, who was a first round selection that has not lived up to expectations as a FS but we may be able to slip in the SCB role with little lost at a moderate contract.  Or a possible draft pick. McManus at his age probably can not expect him to play as well as last year.

Ss- Jackson is ascending and if he stays healthy will produce better than last year.  Amos may be gone but usually SSs dont get big contracts plus many Ss hit free agency this year. So mark that position as plus with better upside.  I think Bush could play at the level of Amos with more experience.  

OLBs- Mack should be better with a complete offseason. Floyd is ascending and could turn into great this season. I think we should try to keep Lynch , give him a 2 yr 8 million deal plus Irving is getting better. This position is a plus plus. 

ILBs- Trevathan is a steady better than average pro. Smith will ascend quickly to an all pro this year. Kwit is very average as a backup but I can see Joel Iggy as an ascending player possibly taking Trevathans place in 2 years. This is a plus plus.

DL- Goldman still has room to improve,  Hicks is a monster in his prime. Nichols is a all rookie 5th round pick. Bullard very average but RRH has lots of room to grow.  This is a plus plus position. 

With Pagano being more aggressive,  Jackson,  Smith,  Nichols , Floyd being better and more production out of Mack , this a better D than last year. 

We are going to be a more dangerous defense that's for sure.  Pagano's going to cut these guys loose to get after the QB and he's got the players to make it all happen.  As you point out at several levels we have young players who are still ascending in Nichols, Tolliver, and even Floyd.   I want Callahan back he's too good to let go so take the risk on his injury history. 

I may be the only one but I'm still optimistic for Fitts this coming season and I think he can replace Lynch.  Fitts often showed the strength to hold off blocks in the run game and set the edge.  That will only be better after an offseason in the weight room.  In pass rush he was completely lost and had no moves or continuity to his attack.  That should improve with another offseason and good coaching.  Yet pass rush is not what Lynch provided.  He mostly handled some run down reps to keep Floyd or Mack fresh, with some occasional pass rush.  Irving looks better slotted to fill the versatile role that Acho had for us:  special teams and some pass rush snaps.   Even though I like having him on the roster, cutting Acho would save $2mil in cap space which I would use toward Gould's new contract.        

On 1/26/2019 at 7:36 PM, Stinger226 said:

Gould could get tagged by SF, they want him back.  He will be looking for more money.  I don't see him coming.  Jones may be the new kicker going forward and cheap. 

I could see that happening and as much as I'd like to see Robbie back here we can't overspend to do so either in salary or draft picks should they tag him.  I could see SF playing hard ball to keep him if we show interest.  Consider we'll be eating Parkey's contract we have to be careful how much we spend at the Kicker position, but by the same token, we can't really afford to not spend what we need to upgrade there.  We can't keep having that position cost us games.

14 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

All they can do is have a competition, if Parkey wins out then Parkey it is. The Bears are not in position to sign another high dollar kicker.  I hope he takes this season and uses it to make a comeback knowing he is on the brink. 

There is literally no way they can keep Parkey. If they keep him then Pace is tied to him. If he blows a big game, a playoff game etc, then Pace is gone.

He may be a fine kicking option for any other team, but politically, you just cant be the guy that said "lets keep him" and then if he fails in a regular way, youre super screwed. Pace is tied to Trubisky, he wont let himself get tied to Parkey. He just cant.

10 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

There is literally no way they can keep Parkey. If they keep them then Pace is tied to him. If he blows a big game, a playoff game etc, then Pace is gone.

He may be a fine kicking option for any other team, but politically, you just cant be the guy that said "lets keep him" and then if he fails in a regular way, youre super screwed. Pace is tied to Trubisky, he wont let himself get tied to Parkey. He just cant.

Agreed.  Parkey is gone. 

Peace

So...trying to make sense of why many think Amos will be gone.  I had a discussion with someone here not all that long ago about ‘core’ players and whether he was considered one of them.  I could certainly see where he qualifies as one.

But perhaps the pessimism on his return is more ‘end of contract’ and money related more than anything?  Belief that he think he’s worth more than his actual value?  Etc... 

The best thing going for us with Amos is how deep the FA safety pool is.  Collins, Thomas, Clinton-Dix, Joyner, Harris,Vacarrio.  Amos fits in the top 3 I'd say, but teams may want more coverage? He may take a discount? We do have a chance to retain him.  Amos is more dependable than Callahan too, so he may be next in line.  Callahan is a hard to find commodity. Damn this is tough for Pace and Co.

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Callahan is a hard to find commodity

You know it’s funny one of ‘our’ former NBs was key in the Playoff game. Remember Cre’von LeBlanc who now plays for the Eagles?  But yeah when they have to make choices about the defensive backfield, it isnt always cut and dry.  

14 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

The best thing going for us with Amos is how deep the FA safety pool is.  Collins, Thomas, Clinton-Dix, Joyner, Harris,Vacarrio.  Amos fits in the top 3 I'd say, but teams may want more coverage? He may take a discount? We do have a chance to retain him.  Amos is more dependable than Callahan too, so he may be next in line.  Callahan is a hard to find commodity. Damn this is tough for Pace and Co.

I'd rather invest in Amos given his propensity of actually being on the field...  That said, moving from Amos does not worry me.  There are names in FA, but I'd simply rather sign our own to keep the consistency going.  

4 hours ago, madlithuanian said:

I'd rather invest in Amos given his propensity of actually being on the field...  That said, moving from Amos does not worry me.  There are names in FA, but I'd simply rather sign our own to keep the consistency going.  

Agreed.  I think Callahan is going to be out of our price range and he normally spends part of the year on the bench recovering from an injury. 

Peace

6 hours ago, madlithuanian said:

Was looking at a list of potential Safety FAs for next year and found this one from Walterfootball.com:  http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2019S.php

Its encouraging to see Amos ranked as high as he is (similar to other sites). And like you would really prefer him over anyone else due to the consistentcy factor.  A few more things on this list in his favor are his age (26) and (so far) lack of injury history.  I suppose if his price became too high or it got contentious in the negotiations, I’d totally be good with either Collins or Clinton-Dix joining the team.  Clinton-Dix and Jackson being reunited in the backfield would be an awesome combination (although I think Collins is more a SS than Dix). Apparently they also have a history as friends dating back a few years.  (Disclaimer: sorry for using a Packers website?)

https://www.packers.com/news/eddie-jackson-grateful-for-friendship-with-ha-ha-clinton-dix-18616799

18 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Was looking at a list of potential Safety FAs for next year and found this one from Walterfootball.com:  http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2019S.php

Its encouraging to see Amos ranked as high as he is (similar to other sites). And like you would really prefer him over anyone else due to the consistentcy factor.  A few more things on this list in his favor are his age (26) and (so far) lack of injury history.  I suppose if his price became too high or it got contentious in the negotiations, I’d totally be good with either Collins or Clinton-Dix joining the team.  Clinton-Dix and Jackson being reunited in the backfield would be an awesome combination (although I think Collins is more a SS than Dix). Apparently they also have a history as friends dating back a few years.  (Disclaimer: sorry for using a Packers website?)

https://www.packers.com/news/eddie-jackson-grateful-for-friendship-with-ha-ha-clinton-dix-18616799

This is going to sound wrong...but the Dix connection could be good!  ;)