Massie signed to 4-yr Extension

adam

Great news. Continuity in a young offense means the world. Now Nagy has no set backs with the 2nd phase. Imagine if they had to start the season with an unknown. It would take away the little things because added protections would be required.  Now they have the freedom to find CB, S, or a RB that can elevate the offense to a top 5 level.

As long as Pace keeps hitting on 2-3 draft picks per year (a little harder this year), we should have a constant flow of youth and cheaper contracts to balance the cap going forward.

Also, you can consider Khalil Mack as our 1st rounder and Anthony Miller as our 2nd rounder this year, because that's who we have on the team for those draft picks. It will be interesting to see what would've been available at the Miller pick this year. We ultimately gained 5 slots for pick 105 and gained a year of Miller (or lost a year depending on how you look at it).

It always depends on the value of the deal but Massie does offer some valuable traits (run blocking, work ethic, good teammate) and continuity for the near term while Coward develops is good.  His biggest weakness against edge speed can be negated somewhat by Trubisky's pocket awareness and escapability.   You saw that in the 2nd Vikings game where they were a bit reluctant to rush to too hard around the edge and give Trubisky an easy escape from the pocket.   

Clearly Pace didn't want to go into the offseason with a glaring need on his Oline and chose not to let Massie test the FA market.  In the past Pace has often been ok letting the market set a players value (Fuller, Meredith).  For Massie to sign this early I think he'll be making around $8mil/yr.  Does this mean Amos is gone?  At a minimum it means Kush is gone.  Witzmann took over for Kush anyway.   Given how much he was utilized I have to think we'll keep Sowell.  He is signed through 2019 at $1.8mil but maybe they work to extend his contract for another year with some guaranteed money and a lower cap hit.   That roster spot might come at the expense of FB Burton.   

51 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

If Coward progresses,  I can see Sowell let go. Grab more cap space. Does he back up Leno? I thought he was just a RT. 

I believe Sowell was the swing OT.   Didn't he line up as an extra Oline on both left and right sides during the season?   I know he lined up at FB on several plays. 

It is possible we go with Coward as the swing OT next year but he's so new to the position and the Bears made it clear they don't see him ready to take over at RT, which is the only Oline position he's played.  From there I find it hard to believe the Bears would be comfortable with him as the backup at LT.  I think from here we try to get one more good depth piece on the interior.  By the way, that in itself doesn't stop us from drafting an OT.  Many young OTs start out on the inside for a year or two until they get comfortable and move outside.  Plus we don't need an OG who can backup the Center position because we already have Daniels.  Bring back Witzmann and some other young players to compete.  

Whatever the Bears may think of his future potential, Coward just lost a bunch of negotiating power for his next contract.  Coward will return but it'll be on a deal where he's expected to compete for a backup role.    

So far this is all I can find on contract details.  I'm hoping the average is inflated by higher values in the last years of the deal giving us a chance to get out of the contract if Coward, or someone else, is ready to take over sooner.  Pace usually structures his deals to pay the guarantees early so he has flexibility later.   At 29, In 3-4 years Massie's issues with speed are only going to be much worse so he's probably got a couple years of performance similar to last year.     

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-football-nfl-notebook-idUSKCN1PL00U

Terms were not announced, but NFL Network reported the deal is worth more than $8 million per year, a figure that would put him among the four highest-paid right tackles in the league.

17 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

It's a large raise but won't even in our top 50 contracts to count against the cap.

is that possible, $8 million a year isnt the top 50 v the cap?

if we had 50 at 8 mil a year, thatd be $400 million dollars a year, but the cap is $189 million.

even good second tier free agents are getting more than $5 million a year.

I just looked and $8 million a year makes him our 9th highest paid player.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/chicago-bears/

11 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I was referring to Cowards raise and contract now Massie. You figure we sign one of the 2 DBs and everyone back but one starter.  It can't get much better than that. 

There are a lot of rumors that Whitehair is getting an extension too. He is signed through 2019 so they could add on years and be creative enough with the guarantees that his cap hit stays low this year.  

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I was referring to Cowards raise and contract now Massie. You figure we sign one of the 2 DBs and everyone back but one starter.  It can't get much better than that. 

oops, my bad - I misread you. of course youre correct, now that I understand what you were really saying.

Biggs finally posted the details on the deal.  https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-cb-chicago-bears-contract-details-2019-story.html

It is as hoped, essentially a 2 yr deal with $15.8mil guaranteed, and then has 3 team-option years beyond that.  Cap hit this year is a mere $3.8mil which opens the door to re-sign Callahan and Amos.

20 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Biggs finally posted the details on the deal.  https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-cb-chicago-bears-contract-details-2019-story.html

It is as hoped, essentially a 2 yr deal with $15.8mil guaranteed, and then has 3 team-option years beyond that.  Cap hit this year is a mere $3.8mil which opens the door to re-sign Callahan and Amos.

attaboy Pace!

loving these team friendly deals that also reward the player.  I'm sure it doesn't hurt that the Bears are an ascending team and players are motivated to work with management to find a contract that works for both. Pace has done a good job of working out deals that reward our own but also don't hinder us from being able to extend more of our own and add pieces as needed.