Clay Matthews FA

jason

This article poses an interesting question:

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/01/5-moves-the-chicago-bears-should-make-in-free-agency/4/

Should the Bears go after Clay Matthews? Does anyone really think he's going to sign for a reasonable and minimal contract considering his production the past few years? Would he start over Floyd?

9 hours ago, jason said:

This article poses an interesting question:

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/01/5-moves-the-chicago-bears-should-make-in-free-agency/4/

Should the Bears go after Clay Matthews? Does anyone really think he's going to sign for a reasonable and minimal contract considering his production the past few years? Would he start over Floyd?

First, NO, he's done. Second,  let me throw-up! Jason, are you fishing for chum?

I agree with everyone, I pass.

However, my understanding is that his drop in production is because they switched him to ILB where he has failed to put up the numbers he once got as an OLB. I suspect if put back outside, he might have a few good years left. (Elsewhere, preferably somewhere in the AFC. LOL)

I dont care that someone used to be a Packer - raiding their larder makes me happy.

I would pass on Matthews because he will want more money than his productivity warrants at this age, and he isnt an ascending player with a window that matches the one we are opening.

That said, if Pace disagrees with me, you should take Pace's opinion over mine. :)

On 2/2/2019 at 1:49 PM, BearFan NYC said:

I dont care that someone used to be a Packer - raiding their larder makes me happy.

I would pass on Matthews because he will want more money than his productivity warrants at this age, and he isnt an ascending player with a window that matches the one we are opening.

That said, if Pace disagrees with me, you should take Pace's opinion over mine. :)

That's the same thing I'm thinking. And if his fall from grace is a scheme issue (i.e. OLB to ILB), then even better. That's getting a potentially high producing player, stealing from the packers, making them hate one of their beloved for being a traitor, and adding a potential pass rush threat in a 3-4.

To me the consideration all comes down to money.

On 2/4/2019 at 8:39 PM, jason said:

That's the same thing I'm thinking. And if his fall from grace is a scheme issue (i.e. OLB to ILB), then even better. That's getting a potentially high producing player, stealing from the packers, making them hate one of their beloved for being a traitor, and adding a potential pass rush threat in a 3-4.

To me the consideration all comes down to money.

They played him in several spots to try to get some use out of him. Who was the  aging viking we signed as an edge rusher that failed. Same scenario. 

On 2/7/2019 at 5:05 PM, Connorbear said:

Jared Allen

that was almost doomed from the get go.  He was coming from a 4-3 scheme as a DE, trying to play in a 4-3 as an OLB is wasn't a good fit for his skill set or experience.  We were hoping his talent would allow his play to translate from 4-3 to 3-4 and it didn't.  His age also was working against him.