Andy Reid or Bill Belicheck

Alaskan Grizzly

So I got this wild hair the other day after watching the Super Bowl and thought ‘how much longer can this last?’  ‘This’ being the current Patriot dynasty.  That which involves no matter the circumstances the Patriots will almost always make it to the Super Bowl and have a better than 50% chance of winning it. So to answer my question in a convoluted way I thought who has the better coaching tree; Belichek or Reid?  (I partly asked that because Nagy is a product of the Reid tree and well...I like Reid).  Anyhow, without really putting much thought into it I started thinking about all of the coaches that have come from either camp and how successful they’ve been.  Interestingly enough, even with his now 6 championships, Belichecks group doesn’t fare as well as Andy’s does.  I started looking around for articles on the subject and found quite a few.  This particular one is right on target with what I was looking for:  https://sports.yahoo.com/bill-belichick-vs-andy-reid-whos-got-better-coaching-tree-002924400.html

So after all that you may ask ‘what was the moral of your babble’?  Simply this,  the Patriot reign will come to an end sooner than later.  And more than likely whomever picks up after Bill won’t have the same success as he did.  They certainly won’t have Brady to help them.  But those that have learned from the tutelage of Reid more than likely will succeed, regardless of where they end up.  Which puts our team in a great spot from here on out.  

I understand that you can compare records from those from his tree and same with Reid.  But I think that no one will ever nor could of done what he has.  I know I not explaining what I mean well.  But he runs everything so well that it raises not only his players play but his coaches coaching.  And when either leaves they just don't continue at that level no matter where they go.  In other words he covers up so many shortcomings from all those he works with.  He puts everyone in the best possible position to succeed.  And maybe its the old line I taught you everything you know not everything I know.

No doubt Reid has better prepared his assistants for more responsibility.  Somewhat analogous to coaching development is QB development.  Whereas Fox took the Belichick approach and it was do as I say, execute this and only this.  That does not come with deep learning and ultimately the understanding to think independently as things change.  It takes time and commitment to help someone along that deep-learning path.  Now we compare Goff/McVay after 2 years together with Trubisky/Nagy after 1 season.   It seems safe to say that the hand-holding that McVay has done for Goff these past two years have really limited him seeing things for himself.  OTOH Trubisky seemed to grow each quarter of the season in reading defenses.  He's not a finished product yet but if he continues this trend throughout their second season together I feel really good about Mitch/Nagy going into the playoffs next year.  

I feel like it's been a perfect storm for NE.  It has a lot to do with Belicheck and Brady.  They are the patriots.  The overall teams' success is tied to those two.  I know it's a team sport but over the years they have filtered in different pieces into that machine and it keeps running.  NE I feel is the prime example of a system team.  The majority of the names can change but the results are often the same.  So I feel like as long as those two are there NE will always have a shot at the title.   However, once those two are gone, (and I personally believe when one goes so will the other) The pats might come crashing to earth.  You get a sense that that time is coming soon.