Kwiatkoski

AZ54

With the recent contract updates both Howard and Kwiatkoski have earned pay raises and now have $2mil/yr salaries based on playing time.  Both have earned it, especially Howard.  However, we are tight on cap space and depending on how things go with Iggy, Kwit might be the 4th ILB on this roster.  That's not a spot we can afford to spend $2mil to fill.   Nor is he the ideal fit inside due to his lack of speed.  I don't know for sure what Pagano wants in his ILBs I can't imagine it's much different from Fangio.  Kwit is a good ILB and could easily fit well into someone's 4-3 scheme. 

I think the Bears should try to trade him for a day 3 pick.  We can likely sign a vet FA ILB on a minimum deal to fill his spot or replace him with the draft pick.   We should get a 4th Rd or worst case a 5th Rd pick for him.  

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I agree but don't think anyone is going to give up draft capital for a backup ILB.

In the right scheme I think he's good enough to be a starter.  He might not wow anybody but if you don't have a starter and are looking to draft a young player you could do a lot worse than what Kwit has put on tape.  It's no different from teams paying vet QBs to hold down a job for a year or two.    

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I don't think he is a starter for most clubs. Today teams are looking for more speed and although he is a decent player, he will have the kind of the career Ocho has had.

That's where we agree...part time starter but more or less career backup and both are now earning $2mil/yr.  

Acho would be the only non-starter making more money than Kwiatkoski. If they feel like Iggy can do what Kwiat has done, then you save the $2M in cap space. Our true window for a SB is the next 3 years. After that, expect some huge cuts to keep Trubisky. 

After his pay bump, I think you have to consider moving on from him. With Sims, that is an instant $8M freed up. 

On 2/8/2019 at 12:10 AM, AZ54 said:

well the contract he is under increased in base salary, but he wasnt extended or anything, he is still due to be a free agent after next year.

18 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Unless they can trade him, you do not make him a cap casualty by cutting him.  Let him play out his contract, sign with another team and gain a late rd compensation pick. Pace has tools to make adjustments to have cap space if needed.  I dont see their increases causing that yet.

I agree. I still think he is trade bait tho.