2019 Draft needs

ASHKUM BEAR

Who do I love, I like this kid out of Stanford. Has amazing burst that can shred defenses. His ACL will make it possible for us to draft him and it will be a cause for concern.  One reason I wouldn't be shy to draft him is Todd Gurley. He plays hard and will play through pain. I believe he can become a better receiver than Stanford used him.  He has faced good teams ND, USC, UCLA, Wash, Oregon and he shined.  Davis, Cohen, Nall, Love and Patterson would bring a balance of speed and versatility that Nagy could get creative with.  RB is now a bigger need and I can see Pace finding "conviction" in making sure he gets his guy.

Who is Bryce Love? 

I see us needing two RB at the moment.  I can see one taken in Rd3/4 and then using one of our 7th Rd picks on another.   Drafting two would give us some flexibility to take a chance on someone like Love or Rodney Anderson.  I can't see us taking a risk and using the higher pick on an injured player.

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I see us needing two RB at the moment.  I can see one taken in Rd3/4 and then using one of our 7th Rd picks on another.   Drafting two would give us some flexibility to take a chance on someone like Love or Rodney Anderson.  I can't see us taking a risk and using the higher pick on an injured player.

I wouldn't hesitate using the late 3rd on Love, even though it is our highest pick. Round 3 is alright to take the risk on a player who would have been a rd 1 player if he entered the draft last season.  If they feel the need to grab another, get that Alex Barnes KS, later on day 3.  

TE's we can get in the later rounds. I think Wesco would become a Chicago favorite with his swag.

Kahale Warring, San Diego St

Dax Raymond, Utah

https://watchstadium.com/videos/dax-raymond-utah-state-football-highlights-2018-season-football

Trevon Wesco, West Virginia

https://watchstadium.com/videos/trevon-wesco-west-virginia-football-highlights-2018-season-football

Kendall Blanton, Missouri

44 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

TE's we can get in the later rounds. I think Wesco would become a Chicago favorite with his swag.

Dax Raymond, Utah

https://watchstadium.com/videos/dax-raymond-utah-state-football-highlights-2018-season-football

https://watchstadium.com/videos/trevon-wesco-west-virginia-football-highlights-2018-season-football

Warring I like, I can see him contributing in a variety of ways.  

Dax Raymond I'm less enthusiastic about.  Seems a bit stiff in his movement skills.  I'll have to check out the other two later.  

34 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Warring I like, I can see him contributing in a variety of ways.  

Dax Raymond I'm less enthusiastic about.  Seems a bit stiff in his movement skills.  I'll have to check out the other two later.  

Dax is also 24 years old. He served a church mission.  He did seem to have nice hands in traffic.  Wesco is more a blocking TE, but he can catch well too. He seems like the stiffest in the bunch but plays like an animal wanting to eat.

There going to sign a OLB, and TE yet in free agency.  I think they are focused on a RB, but if a OLB or OL are their at 3 , they may jump on it. Matching what Nagy wants , I would say T. Williams,  D Henderson,  Sanders all fit . Hard to say on how they grade them but they may like a lower rated RB they think they can get in 4 or 5. I think thinking ahead they need to replace Long (another injured year will decide his fate), or Trevathan as far as projecting the cap savings. I think Joel Iggy is designed to take over for Trevathan so OLB , could definitely be a target.

19 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

we need (in no particular order): RB, OLB, DE, CB, TE, S, K, long snapper, special teams coverage

How do we need a TE? With Burton and Shaheen, all the Bears really need in a 3rd TE is a glorified OT.

3 hours ago, jason said:

How do we need a TE? With Burton and Shaheen, all the Bears really need in a 3rd TE is a glorified OT.

not sure Shaheen is living up to potential. I hope he does, and Im not betting against it, just saying, right now, we could use competition at TE.

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

If they draft a TE in the 3rd or 4th,  I would say they have doubts about Sheehan. 

He has not lived up to his draft status so far and I think Nagy would like to run more 2 and 3 TE sets.  They are not getting Kelce production out of the group they have either.

I don't like the idea of drafting a TE, because I agree that it means we're basically dumping Shaheen...who several on this board thought was a massive reach at best. Why be in a rush when Burton is such a stud? If anything, Burton's presence means the Bears can slow play Shaheen's development, which has been incredibly slow considering his draft position.

1 hour ago, jason said:

I don't like the idea of drafting a TE, because I agree that it means we're basically dumping Shaheen...who several on this board thought was a massive reach at best. Why be in a rush when Burton is such a stud? If anything, Burton's presence means the Bears can slow play Shaheen's development, which has been incredibly slow considering his draft position.

Agreed.  I have no issues with signing a couple of FA tight ends after the draft to find someone for the 4th role but we do not need to draft a TE. 

Peace

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 3:21 PM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Dax Raymond, Utah

Dax Raymond gets signed as UDFA, good chance he makes the roster too. Burton, Shaheen, Raymond, and Bruanicker. 

3 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Dax Raymond gets signed as UDFA, good chance he makes the roster too. Burton, Shaheen, Raymond, and Bruanicker. 

He is either really smart or has a smart agent.  The Bears kept 4 TEs last year and have 3 on the roster and of the 3 only one is a legit pass catcher/route runner.  The door is wide open for Dax to earn a roster spot.  

54 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

He is either really smart or has a smart agent.  The Bears kept 4 TEs last year and have 3 on the roster and of the 3 only one is a legit pass catcher/route runner.  The door is wide open for Dax to earn a roster spot.  

I think you pointed to something important. Hopefully year two they get the TEs more involved.  Looking at our offense and KCs, we have depth and potential that beats there's. 

15 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think you pointed to something important. Hopefully year two they get the TEs more involved.  Looking at our offense and KCs, we have depth and potential that beats there's. 

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Remember they will lose Hill every soon and with losing Hunt last year, they should have a step back, (KC).

Yeah, if they lose Hill, which they should. They will only have Kelce left as their only legitimate receiving threat. Hill was a game changer, and most of Mahomes chunk plays were to Hill. You can't replace that production. I think Mahomes comes back down to earth next year.

10 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Remember they will lose Hill every soon and with losing Hunt last year, they should have a step back, (KC).

They entered the draft expecting to focus on defense.  Instead they come out of it with another WR with their first pick in Rd 2, and a big bill for Frank Clark.  

21 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

They entered the draft expecting to focus on defense.  Instead they come out of it with another WR with their first pick in Rd 2, and a big bill for Frank Clark.  

They ultimately swapped out Dee Ford for Frank Clark, and are now replacing Hill with the rookie Hardman. Outside of those moves, it is hard to see where this team is better in 2019. If anything they have taken a step back.