4 Picks Top 150

AZ54

It's an unusual year without a pick in the first two rounds.  I have to believe an extensive amount of work goes into grading players in the top 75.   This year without the worry of sorting out all those players in great detail I expect they're spending more time focused on the players in the second half of the draft and in particular the potential UDFAs.   Pace has often excelled in this part of the draft.  With that in mind here's a plan to add 4 players in the top 150.  

Pace will wait to see who falls to him but if he doesn't find a target who falls to him (perhaps Hooker, Henderson, Sanders) I could see him trading back to the late 3rd Rd.    Based on the trade value chart at Draftek if he drops back past 95 overall  (NYG, NE, CAR, JAX) he can pick up another 4th Rd pick.  Using the Giants at 95 we could get #132 in the 4th Rd.   We then sit at 95, 126, 132, 162 (5th).  

It's not widely talked about but we're sitting with the following 2020 picks:   2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th, 5th, 6th, 6th, 7th     Two of the 5th are conditional but even if we have just one we still have 9 picks next year.  I suspect Pace uses them to get another pick in the top 150.   Using the Giants again we give them #162  and one of next year's 5th Rd picks to move up to #143 near the top of the 5th Rd.   Now we have 95, 126, 132, and 143 plus our two 7th Rd picks.   Let's go get some players

This year's draft rankings have prospects all over the place.  For RBs David Montgomery is either a solid 2nd Rd pick and the 2nd best back in the draft of he's a late 3rd Rd pick.  I'll use a combination of Great Blue North rankings, Draft Network, NFL.com, Gil Brandt's top 150 and Drafttek.  Nothing too scientific I just want some confidence a player will be available where I'm picking them.  

95:   TE   Jace Sternberger    Two years in a row Nagy has been knocked out of the first round of the playoffs.  In both games he lost his main TE target.   I'm betting he wants a little more insurance against that happening again in 2019.  Shaheen remains a question mark at this point.  

126:   RB   Trayveon Williams    Jack-of-all-trades,  master of none.  He fits the versatility Nagy wants in his RBs and he joins the RBBC. 

132:  CB    David Long     He's our future starter at NB.    5'11" and under 200lbs but with  4.45 forty, 6.45s  3-cone, and 39" vertical he has the explosiveness you want inside.  

143:  S   Malik Gant     He has some limitations in coverage but he's sticky early on routes and he's a solid player in run support.  Loves to hunt down the ball carrier and paired with Eddie Jackson covering things over the top he could develop into a solid starter.  

222:   OLB  Justin Hollins    Floyd-like quickness and speed.  Floyd-like strength.  He needs to spend a year in that new weight room at Halas Hall.  If he dedicates himself to his craft he has all the athletic traits to develop into a starter but he should at least be a good backup.  

238:   S   Nick Scott     Why not add another S to the mix.  He likes to hit and he has 4.4 speed so he should be able to compete for snaps on kick coverage.  He has limited experience (1yr starter) but he could challenge for starting snaps down the road.  

As much as i like all the picks, I think that draft a OL somewhere in the draft. The defense is borderline the best defense with filling two positions with decent replacements. We have Ted Larson, ( very average) and Sowell ( very average) as our backups . I see us drafting someone like Max Schraping that could fill backup at both positions and possibly taking over for Long after this year. Nagy claims we have a great defense but a poor offense so I see up adding to the offense more as a priority. So a RB, TE and OL help first.

I absolutely think we may trade back and get more picks. Mid range picks are strong at RB, OG and TEs, so I see us addressing those early.

RB- Jacobs, Mongomery, and Sanders will be gone. Possibly that Henderson and Williams will be borderline at our 87th pick. So that leaves us Singletary, Weber, Armstead, Hill, Harris, Snell, Ozigboh, and Mattison. 

OL- in our draft value range  Dieter/OG, Edgoa/OT, Samia/OG, Howard/OT, Little/OT, Daley/OT.

Later in the draft-Edwards/OT, Schraping/OT-OG, Evans/OT-OG, Powers/OG, Jordan/OG, Bars/OG.  I think Schraping and Evans fit our situation in a 4th round range.

TE- Oliver, Wilson, Smith, Sternberger,Knox, Warring, Moreau, Raymond, Mack.

If we trade back(good idea)  and end up with a 3rd, 2- 4ths 5th, 2- 7th. 

Williams-3rd

Schraping-4a

S or CB-4b

5th- Warring

7th- OLB

7th-CB or S

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

As much as i like all the picks, I think that draft a OL somewhere in the draft. The defense is borderline the best defense with filling two positions with decent replacements. We have Ted Larson, ( very average) and Sowell ( very average) as our backups . I see us drafting someone like Max Schraping that could fill backup at both positions and possibly taking over for Long after this year. Nagy claims we have a great defense but a poor offense so I see up adding to the offense more as a priority. So a RB, TE and OL help first.

I absolutely think we may trade back and get more picks. Mid range picks are strong at RB, OG and TEs, so I see us addressing those early.

RB- Jacobs, Mongomery, and Sanders will be gone. Possibly that Henderson and Williams will be borderline at our 87th pick. So that leaves us Singletary, Weber, Armstead, Hill, Harris, Snell, Ozigboh, and Mattison. 

OL- in our draft value range  Dieter/OG, Edgoa/OT, Samia/OG, Howard/OT, Little/OT, Daley/OT.

Later in the draft-Edwards/OT, Schraping/OT-OG, Evans/OT-OG, Powers/OG, Jordan/OG, Bars/OG.  I think Schraping and Evans fit our situation in a 4th round range.

TE- Oliver, Wilson, Smith, Sternberger,Knox, Warring, Moreau, Raymond, Mack.

If we trade back(good idea)  and end up with a 3rd, 2- 4ths 5th, 2- 7th. 

Williams-3rd

Schraping-4a

S or CB-4b

5th- Warring

7th- OLB

7th-CB or S

Interior Oline help is a definite possibility in the draft.  I'm not a fan of Ted Larsen at all but I give him credit because he's 32 and has managed to scrape together a decent NFL career given his talent.  We still have plenty of cap space and if we go through the draft without picking someone at OG then I think Pace picks up another FA veteran who gets cut after the draft.  That could happen at S or CB.  Last year in the draft he avoided reaching for OLB help when the draft didn't fall his way.   

Any way we slice up the picks having 4 in the top 150 adds good depth a several positions.  

59 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Cap cuts will be coming after teams draft.  How much money do we have at this point?

$17,622,024 (16th) according to overthecap.com, and with no 1st or 2nd rounders, that is really like 20M+ relative to other teams.

15 minutes ago, adam said:

$17,622,024 (16th) according to overthecap.com, and with no 1st or 2nd rounders, that is really like 20M+ relative to other teams.

I see a Whitehair extension and maybe a Floyd.  They can extend Chase Daniel's to save more cap if they need. It is about keeping the best intact while keeping flexibility when Cohen, Trubisky, and Jackson come up. 

I am becoming receptive to this approach as well - It seems to me when you wait so long to make your first pick, one of two things happens - either you get to your pick and there is one guy still on your board that you thought should have gone at round and a half earlier that's still there, in which case you take him and don't look back, or you've sat through so many picks that there's probably 10-15 guys on your board that you thought should have gone much earlier, which at that point, why not trade down ten spots, still get one of those guys, and get extra picks.  With your trade in mind, I would go:

95:   Oshane Ximines, Edge, Old Dominion - Lots are mocking a RB to the Bears for their first pick, but I think it's a bad look to trade your starter for a conditional 5th, and then spend a 3rd on his replacement, and the middle rounds figure to be so bunched with RBs that you can wait a round (though if Miles Sanders is still on the board, I think that's the one RB they would take here).  So I'll pick a Pace special - small school athlete with college production who can add another body to the pass rush mix.

126:  Trayveon Williams, RB, Texas A&M - The Bears have looked at literally every mid-round RB in the draft, so they are drafting one at some point, but no one can seem to decide on the favorite.  Personally, I think they want a guy who can run between the tackles but catch the ball well out of the backfield, with more speed than Howard had.  My gut tells me the Bears are targeting either Williams or Mike Weber out of OSU with Dexter Williams and Jalin Moore in the conversation as well.  I like Williams the most out of those personally, so he's the pick.

132:  Isaac Nauta, TE, Georgia - Nice, well rounded TE that was never used as much as you'd think by Georgia, but can provide insurance for Shaheen's inevitable injury.  I like Warring too, but I don't think he lasts this long.

143:  Mitch Hyatt, OL, Clemson - A versatile offensive lineman who has a ton of big time experience and can step in as swing tackle or even take reps at guard if needed.

222:  Matt Gay, K, Utah - The Bears have arguably the biggest kicker need in the entire draft, so unless they sort out things with Robbie Gould ahead of the draft, they can't afford to wait until UDFA to get their guy.  Gay has the bigger leg and a little more experience in the cold.

238:   Ugo Amadi, S, Oregon - When you can get a Lombardi winner in the seventh round, you do it.  Amadi is pretty much exactly what the secondary needs - a safety to develop who can get immediate nickel/dime CB reps.

I'm not big on Ximines he runs too hot and cold for my likes in the 3rd Rd.  In the 4th maybe.  Other than that I like the picks.   This is the first time I've seen Nauta mentioned because I haven't done a ton of research on TEs.  I like him especially in the 5th Rd.  

I just signed up for The Athletic and with that I got Dane Buglers draft guide. After everything I have digested, here is my last mock draft.

3 ) We trade back  in the fourth with Denver and get 113 and 125

4) Edwards/S can play several positions and a physical tackler.

4) Hollins/OLB  good quickness

4)  Isiah Johnson/CB good speed and size

5) A.Mack/TE good speed and route running

7) Tony Pollard/RB good size and quickness, can make the splash plays, excellent receiver.

7) A. Bars/OG   played for Harry so he knows what he is capable of going forward. 

12 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I just signed up for The Athletic and with that I got Dane Buglers draft guide. After everything I have digested, here is my last mock draft.

3 ) We trade back  in the fourth with Denver and get 113 and 125

4) Edwards/S can play several positions and a physical tackler.

4) Hollins/OLB  good quickness

4)  Isiah Johnson/CB good speed and size

5) A.Mack/TE good speed and route running

7) Tony Pollard/RB good size and quickness, can make the splash plays, excellent receiver.

7) A. Bars/OG   played for Harry so he knows what he is capable of going forward. 

I'd be happy with this draft.