NFC North Draft Picks

adam

Detroit - Pick 8 - TJ Hockenson, TE - A good player (1 of 2 TE's drafted in the first round from Iowa), but not a top 10 pick. Lol Detroit, another TE, why didn't they just keep Ebron?

Green Bay - Pick 12 - Rashan Gary, DE - A good player, but didn't they sign a couple of Edge guys? Seems like an odd pick considering their free agency and with Rodgers' age. Then they draft up to pick Darnell Savage at S. Another good player, but not someone worthy of the 21st pick or moving up to get. You would think that a team with 2 picks in the first 21 would get two impactful players, yet I don't see that here. Gary may only be a rotational guy and Savage is undersized for a Safety.

Vikings - Pick 18 - Garrett Bradbury, C - The least flashy move was probably the best. Bradbury is good and it makes sense to shore up the middle of your O-Line with a non-mobile QB like Cousins. The best pick from the NFC North outside of the Mack deal.

So what did you think about the draft so far?

I thought the Raiders picks outside of Abram were borderline comical. They traded Mack and Cooper, and BeastMode retired, and you added Clelin Ferrell at #4 (DE to replace Mack?), Josh Jacobs, RB at #24 to replace BeastMode, and Abram at #27, which was their best pick. I would still take Mack over all 3 of those guys today.

47 minutes ago, Bill said:

Found it ironic that the Raiders picked a running back with the pick they got from us.   But Mack for two 24's.  No need to debate that choice.  Get a few digs in at work this morning. 

dont forget we got a 2nd back for a 3rd too, so it was a lot less than 2 24s!

The Packers drafted potentially good players. Gary is the closest thing to Mack coming out of the draft. He is a boom a bust player. Has injury and lack of motor questions. Savage will be a good player but at best ranked 5th best for S. Highest ranking was at 58. Seems they could have gotten him in the 2nd round. 

The Lions took a good player a little high but fits their needs as the new regime let Ebron go when experts compare E.J they use Ebron as his upside.

Minnesota made a good pick that will help them immediately .  

Out of curiosity I'm looking over the NFL Network player rankings/grades to see who the lowest ranked players are that were drafted.  Aka biggest reach.  At this time the Detroit Lions have drafted two of the lowest graded/ranked players.  Will Harris S out of BC ranked around 205 overall and he was taken with the 18th pick in the 3rd Rd.  Before that pick Detroit drafted Jahlani Tavai who is ranked ~190 overall and they used the 43rd pick in the draft.  Their draft ended after they took Hockenson.  

I should add that NFL Network has the prospects listed 20/page.  For both of these players, on the pages they are listed there has not been any other player drafted.   

Starting Day 3

Packers:  Rashan Gary DT, Darnell Savage S, Elgton Jenkins  C, and Jace Sternberger TE.  I really like what they did because it should help us stay leaders in the NFC North.  Gary has all the talent and none of the production.  I liked Savage for our pick at 87 and maybe even a big higher given his versatility but to trade up for him so early...thank you!    Jenkins and Sternberger were good choices at those spots.

Vikings:   Garrett Bradbury  C, Irv Smith TE, and Mattison RB.   Bradbury was good value, same with Smith.  Then they used a 3rd Rd pick to take a player who IMO should have been a 5-7th Rd RB. 

Detroit:  TJ Hockenson  TE, Jahlani Tavai  LB, and Will Harris S.   See my post above.  They're on track for another top 10 pick next year.  There are still good players available so they can redeem themselves but they bypassed a lot of talent in Rd 2 and 3.