UDFA Tracker

adam

So far, looking good:

UDFA's
Offense:

1. Sam Mustipher, OL, Notre Dame (Hiestand connection)
2. Alex Bars, OG, Notre Dame (Hiestand connection)
3. Blake Blackmar, OL, Baylor 
4. Marquez Tucker, OL, Southern Utah
5. Joe Lowery, OL, Ohio University
6. Emanuel Hall, WR, Missouri (Highest rater player not drafted per NFL.com - 4th round projection)
7. Thomas Ives, WR, Colgate
8. Dax Raymond, TE, Utah State (#1 UDFA TE available)
9. Ian Bunting, TE,  Cal
10. Ellis Richardson, TE, Georgia Southern

Defense:
11. Mathieu Betts, Edge, Laval (Montreal, Canada)
12. Chuck Harris, Edge, Buffalo
13. Jonathan Harris, DL, Lindenwood
14. Lawrence Marshall, DT, Michigan 
15. Dylan Carroll, DE, Grand Valley State
16. Clifton Duck, CB, App State (KR/PR)
17. Adarius Pickett, DB, UCLA
18. Justin Simmons, DB, Limestone College (Furrey connection)
19. Jordan Powell, S, Widener

Special Teams:
20. John Wirtel, OL, Kansas (LS)
21. John Baron, K, SDSU (#2 UDFA Kicker available)

Rookie Mini-Camp Invites:
1. Tommy Doles, OL, Northwestern
2. Chris James, RB, Wisconsin
3. Spencer Schnell, WR, Illinois State
4. Joe Walker, WR, Delaware
5. Ron'Quavion Tarver, WR, Utah State
6. Pace Temple, WR, Butler

7. Quentin Moon, LB, Western Illinois
8. Doyin Jibowu, DB, Fort Hays State
9. Zuril Hendrick, CB, Edinboro

10. Casey Bednarski, K/P, Minnesota State
11. Emmit Carpenter, K, Minnesota (#4 UDFA Kicker available)
12. Alex Kjellsten, P, McNeese State 

21 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

IIRC there were some calling for us to draft Bars late on day 3.  Can't argue with picking him up as a UDFA.  

Anyone ever heard of Laval?  

It's a university in Montreal, Canada. Betts was the top ranked prospect in the CFL.

Quebec.  Universite Laval.   Mathieu Betts edge.    I don't think he has enough length to free himself from OTs at the NFL level but he's got some lateral quickness and can flatten to the QB once he gets the edge.  He's got one move and it's speed.  For his size he seems to have a strong base because he often runs through contact and keeps his feet to make the play.   Lots of hustle to the ball in his game.  His path to an NFL roster is clearly through special teams but he might be able to develop into the type of player Acho was for us.  Looks like he ran well at his Pro Day.  

https://3downnation.com/2019/03/14/laval-dl-mathieu-betts-wont-attend-cfl-combine/

23 minutes ago, CrackerDog said:

Three kickers?   Guess we want to cover all the bases there.  LOL

More competition at a position we are critically weak on. I want them to bring in as many as possible and get one that can nail the game when we need it. :bang

15 hours ago, ChileBear said:

More competition at a position we are critically weak on. I want them to bring in as many as possible and get one that can nail the game when we need it. :bang

Agree. With that many, there will be pressure. They all know the Bears won’t pickup more than one. Whoever handles the pressure the best is likely to do the best, and better suited for gameday.

There is some significant money being given to a few UDFAs..

The #Saints are signing Wyoming edge Carl Granderson to a free-agent deal that includes $85,000 guaranteed, source said.

Chris Westry wasn’t drafted, but the #Cowboys are signing him to a deal with $100K guaranteed, including a $10K signing bonus, source said. Brings some rare traits to Dallas.

The #Vikings gave Washington QB Jake Browning a whopping $140K guaranteed on his contract, source said. That includes a $15K signing bonus. Browning helped himself with a strong pro day. Undrafted, but found a good opportunity behind Kirk Cousins.

Undrafted Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson reached agreement with the Buffalo Bills on a deal that includes $75,000 guaranteed, per source.

17 hours ago, AZ54 said:

IIRC there were some calling for us to draft Bars late on day 3.  Can't argue with picking him up as a UDFA.  

Anyone ever heard of Laval?  

I think Bar makes it and fills the hole of the rotating career vets we have been going thru at G.  I picked him a few times in mocks bc of his connection to HH.   Worst case we IR him this season bc of gus ACL.

I updated the first post to make it more readable. We have a good haul and the competition should be fierce. O'Donnell should be worried. There are few punters in there that can kill it. I would not be surprised if one of them made the team over him. Remember, the one consistent with our bad kicking has been POD holding. Could be a coincidence or maybe there is something to it.

10 minutes ago, adam said:

I updated the first post to make it more readable. We have a good haul and the competition should be fierce. O'Donnell should be worried. There are few punters in there that can kill it. I would not be surprised if one of them made the team over him. Remember, the one consistent with our bad kicking has been POD holding. Could be a coincidence or maybe there is something to it.

First a thank you for pulling in all this info. 

Second, what an odd collection of schools many of these players are from:  Colgate, Georgia Southern,  Laval, Buffalo (maybe not so odd anymore), Lindenwood, Grand Valley St., App St. Widener, Limestone College, Fort Hays State, Edinboro, McNeese St.   Without the first and second round picks I expected Pace to scout the small school ranks heavier.   This collection is surprising even if they are UDFAs or rookie tryouts.   Not only that we drafted a guy from Valdosta St.  I'll be surprised if any of these small school UDFAs make the practice squad.   

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

First a thank you for pulling in all this info. 

Second, what an odd collection of schools many of these players are from:  Colgate, Georgia Southern,  Laval, Buffalo (maybe not so odd anymore), Lindenwood, Grand Valley St., App St. Widener, Limestone College, Fort Hays State, Edinboro, McNeese St.   Without the first and second round picks I expected Pace to scout the small school ranks heavier.   This collection is surprising even if they are UDFAs or rookie tryouts.   Not only that we drafted a guy from Valdosta St.  I'll be surprised if any of these small school UDFAs make the practice squad.   

Some of these are just camp bodies needed for the scrimmages/drills. Ultimately need to field a full team and compliment of players from every position in order to run thru drills effectively. I think they picked up a wide combination of raw players and some with huge upsides as well as some other guys with recent position changes. It will be interesting to see. You are correct though, very unlikely that any of them actually make the team, let alone the PS. 

Guys like Hall, Raymond, and Bars have a legit shot. So do the Kickers and Punters.

1 minute ago, Connorbear said:

That actually would be cool. 

Peace

the play is the two outside kickers kick a little early, and they aim to doink off the goalposts, then the middle kicker kicks, and if he's gonna be off, one of the riccochet-ing balls knocks it back on track.

So now we are actively looking for kickers accurate enough to hit the uprights regularly...

7 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

the play is the two outside kickers kick a little early, and they aim to doink off the goalposts, then the middle kicker kicks, and if he's gonna be off, one of the riccochet-ing balls knocks it back on track.

So now we are actively looking for kickers accurate enough to hit the uprights regularly...

Wouldn’t each kick be counted as a down or would the play include precise simultaneous kicks?

32 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Wouldn’t each kick be counted as a down or would the play include precise simultaneous kicks?

three simultaneous. now if we could only find kickers that can regularly hit the uprights... :)