Smith back

Stinger226

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Well well well , roquin Smith practiced today and will be playing Sunday.  Now the question that will never be answered, why he missed the game. 

Yeah, we beat a dead horse in the other thread. 

My belief, based on what I have read, seems like it was related to the throwback jersey. During his interview, Smith said he was past "it". So if he did have an issue wearing the jersey, we will see what he does on December 5th when they wear it again. I might be completely wrong, but just the way it was reported about him not being himself led me to believe he was uncomfortable wearing the jersey.

However, it doesn't matter now, it's a done deal, and we will have him in the lineup in London. With Jacobs being a quicker back, Smith matches up better with him than Kwit does. 

I live here in Chicagoland and that scenario has never been suggested! That is another angle that would have been leaked to Schefter.

My Opinion ONLY! Is Smith Showed Up Late Causing The Late Scratch! Meaning He Violated Team Rules! This Coach And Staff Is A Keep It In House Group And They Have So Far! I like that!

4 hours ago, lemonej said:

I live here in Chicagoland and that scenario has never been suggested! That is another angle that would have been leaked to Schefter.

My Opinion ONLY! Is Smith Showed Up Late Causing The Late Scratch! Meaning He Violated Team Rules! This Coach And Staff Is A Keep It In House Group And They Have So Far! I like that!

Definitely a possibility, but the whole "not being himself" in practice thing led me to believe it was not a singular incident. 

21 hours ago, adam said:

Yeah, we beat a dead horse in the other thread. 

My belief, based on what I have read, seems like it was related to the throwback jersey. During his interview, Smith said he was past "it". So if he did have an issue wearing the jersey, we will see what he does on December 5th when they wear it again. I might be completely wrong, but just the way it was reported about him not being himself led me to believe he was uncomfortable wearing the jersey.

However, it doesn't matter now, it's a done deal, and we will have him in the lineup in London. With Jacobs being a quicker back, Smith matches up better with him than Kwit does. 

I heard a report that he wore the jersey on the sideline, so if that was the issue, it would seem odd to still wear the jersey.  

4 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I heard a report that he wore the jersey on the sideline, so if that was the issue, it would seem odd to still wear the jersey.  

Nope, he was in a Navy Blue Sweat Suit, top and bottom for the game. Here is a pic:

ASTQV2BFHJHMXI6J3JT5FOVH5Y.jpg

He looked awful today. On two of the touchdowns by Oakland, you can see Roquan weirdly with his back to the play as the ball carrier is running right towards him. 

Whatever happened, it definitely seemed like there was some carry over into this week, because he didn't look like himself. His whole situation is one of the most bizarre stories since Jay Ratliff showed up at Halas Hall calling himself the devil while threatening to kill everybody in the building. For Roquan's sake, I sure hope it's not some kind of deranged mental health or substance abuse issue that's beginning to take hold of him. 

2 hours ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

He looked awful today. On two of the touchdowns by Oakland, you can see Roquan weirdly with his back to the play as the ball carrier is running right towards him.

Saw the same thing and was just amazed how out of position he was.  He came out relatively strong with the first two tackles he had but after that faded quickly.  

The whole D were on their back foot from the first series.  Oakland has a big tough offensive line and they just steamrolled the front seven.  And there scheme kept everyone out of sync.  Other than the great punch the only turn over was a horrible pitch from Carr.  Nothing the defense did.

We needed to stack the box and have a player in every gap. They can't block everyone, but half of Jacobs runs were in holes with no one filling the hole. I didn't hear or see much from our vaunted safeties either. Trevathan was the most consistent the entire game. An alarming performance considering what they looked like against Minnesota the week prior. 

• 3 weeks later...

Saw an article about a strange post Smith put on Twitter.  I agree with this author that it might be time to consider sitting him down and let him take care of himself.  Somethings definitely not right.  

https://sportsmockery.com/2019/10/cryptic-tweet-by-roquan-smith-raises-more-mental-health-concerns/

10 hours ago, Connorbear said:

I would definitely shut him down. His life is more valuable that football.  He clearly needs to deal with his issues. 

Peace

I would definitely not make any judgment about what's best for him when we have no idea what he's battling.  If it's depression then shutting him down and keeping him away from the team and the work he loves might push him over the edge.  We just don't know.

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I would definitely not make any judgment about what's best for him when we have no idea what he's battling.  If it's depression then shutting him down and keeping him away from the team and the work he loves might push him over the edge.  We just don't know.

Tricky predicament for sure. Could be just as bad if he keeps playing and not doing well, then starts hearing the negativity from social media and the like.  

Probably staying with the team (family) for now is the best thing at the very least.  Playing too?  Hard to say. 

What is so weird is this is the same guy who held out to get a provision put in his contract so he wouldn't lose money if suspended for "leading with the helmet". I know mental health issues can be very random, but to go from a guy who is so adamant about one thing to just falling off the cliff is alarming, especially since there never seemed to be a hint of issues in his life before this. Normally there are signs, even if subtle. 

Not that it matters to anyone, but I still feel this is somehow related to the throwback uniform, and he has issues with the team promoting it, and is probably dreading the fact that this is going to come up again in a few short weeks. I could be completely wrong on this but the timing of the initial incident was too coincidental for me. If they shut him down for the season before that game or for that game, then it has to somehow be related, which is extremely unfortunate. 

In a macro view, I am wondering how all of this is affecting other players. Like if someone is having a bad day at work, it seems to affect those around them. I wonder if this is somehow related to the offensive struggles and defensive drop-off as well, even indirectly. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

In a macro view, I am wondering how all of this is affecting other players. Like if someone is having a bad day at work, it seems to affect those around them. I wonder if this is somehow related to the offensive struggles and defensive drop-off as well, even indirectly. 

Someone drank Jobu’s rum.  I think what’s happening are a series of unfortunate incidents and they have some bad juju going on; Hicks’ injury, Long on IR (read probably end of career), offense struggles and now because of that defensive struggles.  They need a shot in the arm and a lot of this will get better.  

Sort of like in the movie Major League and Cerrano told Jobu, “fu*k you Jobu, I’ll do it myself” (to get out of their slump).  They need a spark to kick this slump they’re in . As someone else said earlier, winning cures a lot a of ills. 

Another parallel to Major League just occurred to me, anyone think of getting Trubisky some glasses?  ?

5 hours ago, adam said:

What is so weird is this is the same guy who held out to get a provision put in his contract so he wouldn't lose money if suspended for "leading with the helmet". I know mental health issues can be very random, but to go from a guy who is so adamant about one thing to just falling off the cliff is alarming, especially since there never seemed to be a hint of issues in his life before this. Normally there are signs, even if subtle. 

Not that it matters to anyone, but I still feel this is somehow related to the throwback uniform, and he has issues with the team promoting it, and is probably dreading the fact that this is going to come up again in a few short weeks. I could be completely wrong on this but the timing of the initial incident was too coincidental for me. If they shut him down for the season before that game or for that game, then it has to somehow be related, which is extremely unfortunate. 

I'm not quite wearing the tinfoil hat, but it certainly raises flags.  Without knowing anything about his issue(s), the contentious signing certainly looks like he and his agent might have known something the Bears didn't or hoped they didn't.  No proof.  Just circumstantial.   But, if I were GM and someone offered a second for him, I'd take it.  He was supposed to be a leader.  And he actually looks and feels significantly less of one.

7 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Another parallel to Major League just occurred to me, anyone think of getting Trubisky some glasses?  ?

Griz,
This has actually crossed my mind a few times. If Trubisky has vision problems, even minor near-sightedness, that would definitely cause issues with intermediate and deep passes. 

3 hours ago, madlithuanian said:

I'm not quite wearing the tinfoil hat, but it certainly raises flags.  Without knowing anything about his issue(s), the contentious signing certainly looks like he and his agent might have known something the Bears didn't or hoped they didn't.  No proof.  Just circumstantial.   But, if I were GM and someone offered a second for him, I'd take it.  He was supposed to be a leader.  And he actually looks and feels significantly less of one.

No tinfoil hat here (maybe aluminum foil). You are right, this guy was supposed to take the keys to the defense from Danny this year. Now it's looking like another whiff by Pace and you almost have to bring back Trevathan and Kwit now because of this uncertainty. At this point, and after the game Kwit had against MIN, just give him a shot and let Smith get better (whether that's on the bench, a healthy scratch, or on IR).

I don't know if we can move him, but you would have to jump at the chance to get something for him is this is how he is going to be. I doubt other teams would be interested as he is a huge wild card. 

If this continues, I see him just retiring from the NFL and moving on.

I’m still in the corner that this (with Smith) is either an emotional trauma related reaction (like PTSD) or something akin to CTE.  Granted CTE seems to be more in line with players who have had years of collisions not someone quite as young as Smith, but CTE is so relatively new in its discovery that its really hard to say the true tendencies. In my very brief reading up on it, the word “emotional lability’ came up.  It ...”refers to rapid, often exaggerated changes in mood, where strong emotions or feelings (uncontrollable laughing or crying, or heightened irritability or temper) occur (Queenslandhealth.org).  There are emotional triggers that can activate these type symptoms or a severe concussion or two.  These sound similar to some of how he was acting a few weeks back at practice.  And his general ‘lost’ look while on the field may be a part of it too. 

I know the first time I heard about this was when I had heard about Junior Seaus diagnosis was determined to be part of his death at an early age.  I was amazed at how fast he fell from his playing days. 

Whatever the case is for Smith, I hope the team takes good care of him.  

9 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I’m still in the corner that this (with Smith) is either an emotional trauma related reaction (like PTSD) or something akin to CTE.  Granted CTE seems to be more in line with players who have had years of collisions not someone quite as young as Smith, but CTE is so relatively new in its discovery that its really hard to say the true tendencies. In my very brief reading up on it, the word “emotional lability’ came up.  It ...”refers to rapid, often exaggerated changes in mood, where strong emotions or feelings (uncontrollable laughing or crying, or heightened irritability or temper) occur (Queenslandhealth.org).  There are emotional triggers that can activate these type symptoms or a severe concussion or two.  These sound similar to some of how he was acting a few weeks back at practice.  And his general ‘lost’ look while on the field may be a part of it too. 

I know the first time I heard about this was when I had heard about Junior Seaus diagnosis was determined to be part of his death at an early age.  I was amazed at how fast he fell from his playing days. 

Whatever the case is for Smith, I hope the team takes good care of him.  

That is some scary stuff. I hope for him it is not that.

For the team, if it was somehow related to a concussion, why wouldn't the team just put him down as "in concussion protocol"? That would quell all the rumors and would also explain his play. By not saying anything, and saying it was personal, then that makes it look like it is something completely different.