In other news - Mariota

Alaskan Grizzly

In case anyone was curious, Titans QB Mariota was benched in favor of back-up (and former Miami starter) Ryan Tanehill yesterday.  Many will say it was a lateral move and many would be right. But for me the interesting part is how similar Mariota and Trubisky are to one another. Not just by the 'eye test' but also statistically.

Mariota started his career in 2015 (after being drafted in the first round that year and second overall....hmmmm).  Overall his percentage completion rate (because I know we've used that as a measure in the past) is 62.2%.  In 2015 he threw for 2818 yards with 19 TDs and 10 INTS.  2016 - 3426 yards with 26 TDs and 9 INTs.  2017 - 3232 yards with 13 TDs and 15 INTs.  Last year was his highest rated completion rate at 68.9% with 2528 yards with 11 TDs and 8 INTs.  This year he has been able to throw for 1179 yards with 7TDs and 2 INTs (and a career low 59.1% completion rate).

Trubisky (also drafted second overall in the first round) stared his career in 2017.  His overall completion rate is 63.7%.  In 2017 he threw for 2193 yards with 7 TDs and 7 INTs. Last year he threw for 3223 yards with 24 TDs and 12 INTs (and his highest completion rate of 66.6%).  And so far this year he has thrown for 588 yards (for a so-far completion rate of 65.1) with 3 TDs and 2 INTs.  

I'm sure the argument will be made that they had different receiving, different running, different offensive schemes maybe even better oline coverage in one instance and not the other but when you go back to the simple 'eye test' it seems to be A LOT of parallels can be drawn between Mariota and Trubisky.  

5 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

In case anyone was curious, Titans QB Mariota was benched in favor of back-up (and former Miami starter) Ryan Tanehill yesterday.  Many will say it was a lateral move and many would be right. But for me the interesting part is how similar Mariota and Trubisky are to one another. Not just by the 'eye test' but also statistically.

Mariota started his career in 2015 (after being drafted in the first round that year and second overall....hmmmm).  Overall his percentage completion rate (because I know we've used that as a measure in the past) is 62.2%.  In 2015 he threw for 2818 yards with 19 TDs and 10 INTS.  2016 - 3426 yards with 26 TDs and 9 INTs.  2017 - 3232 yards with 13 TDs and 15 INTs.  Last year was his highest rated completion rate at 68.9% with 2528 yards with 11 TDs and 8 INTs.  This year he has been able to throw for 1179 yards with 7TDs and 2 INTs (and a career low 59.1% completion rate).

Trubisky (also drafted second overall in the first round) stared his career in 2017.  His overall completion rate is 63.7%.  In 2017 he threw for 2193 yards with 7 TDs and 7 INTs. Last year he threw for 3223 yards with 24 TDs and 12 INTs (and his highest completion rate of 66.6%).  And so far this year he has thrown for 588 yards (for a so-far completion rate of 65.1) with 3 TDs and 2 INTs.  

I'm sure the argument will be made that they had different receiving, different running, different offensive schemes maybe even better oline coverage in one instance and not the other but when you go back to the simple 'eye test' it seems to be A LOT of parallels can be drawn between Mariota and Trubisky.  

Nice, and for the record, Pace wanted to trade up for Mariota. There's nothing we ca do but hope he develops. 

Trubisky has been better than Ben Roethlisberger and some guy named Brees in his first two seasons.   In fact he's been pretty comparable to Brees' first 5 seasons.   All of which means....nothing.  

FWIW I liked Mariota in the draft so I was wrong too except I think he's still worth a shot with the right offensive mind.  He has a shot to end up like Alex Smith or even a Rich Gannon did later in their careers.   He'll be starting somewhere else next year.   

6 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Another parallel, they both had Kendall Wright as a WR.

They are very similar at this point. Both have also missed games due to injury basically every year and both are somewhat mobile QB's that were 1-Read QBs in college. 

Check out their average stats for their careers, eerily similar, but Mariota has the edge in most by a little other than comp%. 

Mariota - 62.9% Comp%, 76-44 TD/INT, 212.6 Y/G, Y/A 7.5 (High 7.6, Low 7.1), QB Rating 89.6 (High 95.6, Low 79.3), QBR High 59.4, Low 50.6 (before this season). 11 GWDs, 9 4Q Comebacks

Trubisky - 63.7% Comp%, 34-21 TD/INT, 200.1 Y/G, Y/A 6.9 (High 7.4, Low 5.5), QB Rating 86.9 (High 95.4, Low 77.5), QBR High 70.8, Low 31.6 (before this season). 4 GWDs, 2 4Q Comebacks. 

Both QB's had Kendall Wright as their WR, so it's the Kendall Wright effect.

On 10/17/2019 at 7:48 PM, AZ54 said:

WIW I liked Mariota in the draft so I was wrong too except I think he's still worth a shot with the right offensive mind.  He has a shot to end up like Alex Smith or even a Rich Gannon did later in their careers.   He'll be starting somewhere else next year.  

Agreed.  Who knows maybe he’d be a good option for the Bears offense?  I think he’s a bit smarter (and has had a more prolific college career) than our current “Franchise QB”.