Need for RB?

Alaskan Grizzly

Saw a story pop up on NFL.com from an analyst on Thursday night football suggested Chicago should make a trade for current Charger back Melvin Gordon.  He made a compelling point about Gordon’s versatility (think similar to Forte and maybe older version of Montgomery).  This guy seems to be alone in his thoughts on Gordon becoming a Bear (at least for now).  In looking for some corroborating stories it appears there was some similar talk last July/August.  Would it make sense financially to get a player like this?  I could see the need solely at the position. 

If the Bears were intent on getting a new RB I’d personally like to see them go for a player like Kenyon Drake currently with the Dolphins.  He seems to me more like a Jordan Howard type player, better at between the tackles.  And if memory serves can catch too.  He’s had two +100 total yard games in recent history with 198 versus NE and another 140 against Denver.  I’m mostly a fan due to his being a former ‘Bama RB similar to Josh Jacobs and Derrick Henry. 

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Saw a story pop up on NFL.com from an analyst on Thursday night football suggested Chicago should make a trade for current Charger back Melvin Gordon.  He made a compelling point about Gordon’s versatility (think similar to Forte and maybe older version of Montgomery).  This guy seems to be alone in his thoughts on Gordon becoming a Bear (at least for now).  In looking for some corroborating stories it appears there was some similar talk last July/August.  Would it make sense financially to get a player like this?  I could see the need solely at the position. 

If the Bears were intent on getting a new RB I’d personally like to see them go for a player like Kenyon Drake currently with the Dolphins.  He seems to me more like a Jordan Howard type player, better at between the tackles.  And if memory serves can catch too.  He’s had two +100 total yard games in recent history with 198 versus NE and another 140 against Denver.  I’m mostly a fan due to his being a former ‘Bama RB similar to Josh Jacobs and Derrick Henry. 

No.  We don't need to trade for any position let alone RB.  We need to call runs and let Monty run...

Agree that the oline has been key to some of the offense’s issues.  But do you really, honestly think Davis is a complimentary back?  And realistically speaking we haven’t seen Montgomery do much.  Yes I know he’s been hampered for the most part but still he’s the only (potentially) legit back the Bears have (unless Nall is still on the PS?).  I’m not convinced that Cohen is much more than a one-trick pony.  If the coaches were not to like what they see in practice from any of them, then maybe it’s a consideration? 

I think NYCs point on draft capital might be the only reason not to consider it at this point...but that’s just me.  

No, for many reasons.  I truly can't see a scenario that would be positive.  First, Gordon wants paid.  2nd Davis and Cohen were both good last year, so what's the difference this year?  Montgomery is a good young back.  Lastly, fix the blocking and everything else falls into place.  (Including the passing game)

Way too many other issues on the team than RB. This would not even be in my top 10 and I can't see giving up anything for him unless it was something like Davis+7th rounder for Gordon. Even then, he will command a lot more money and we get a ton of savings having Montgomery on his rookie deal. So it would be a hard pass from me.

I think that Long has definitely suffered this year. That's one huge difference.

I expect some growing pains with the Daniel / Whitehair swap but i dont think that's really the root of the problem we are seeing.

I think Long is biggest culprit, and everyone else has just been kind of flat.

We can blame Nagy for not playing the preseason, but we've had five liver action games by now, so we oughtta be in rhythm by now if that was the issue.

And frankly, if were gonna judge Nagy, he did manage to get to 3-2 without risking any preaseason injuries, so his gamble did kind of pay off.

I dunno what to say about the rest of the line. Let's hope they find their identity and move some people off of the ball.

No way we make a trade for a RB who is good but often injured and who wants a huge payday.  If we're desperate for some change then I'd rather promote Nall, cut Davis, and then draft another young RB in 2020.  The fact is good RBs can still be found in the middle rounds of the draft.  If we fixed the Oline we wouldn't be having this debate.  

Upon further review... 

I’m more amped about an internal promotion in the form of Nall too.  Makes more sense and he has shown he belongs on the big field. Davis hasn’t done it for me and I’m still skeptical of Montgomery.  But with better oline play its possible they might get better.  Heck, Trubiksy might even improve.  ??

Davis has been a ghost in this offense and he provides nothing more than someone like Nall can provide (actually think Nall could provide more), so it makes sense to cut him before Week 10 to get back a 4th round comp pick for Amos. If he is on the roster in Week 10, we lose that 4th round comp pick. That is a bigger return than we got for Howard.