Trubisky Stats

adam

One glaring weakness in Trubisky's game is the lack of rushes. He has played in 5 games (4 full) and has 5 rushes for 21 yards. Chase Daniel has 6 rushes. Mike Davis has 9. He had 7 rushes for 32 yards against GB last year in one game. In his first 5 full games, he had 25 carries for 164 yards and 1 TD. He needs to run the ball.

For QBR purposes, Trubisky has -0.9 running which is on par with Cousins, Keenum, and Winston. His overall QBR is 34.2 (50.0 is average QB). Last year Mitch had a QBR of 71.0, 3rd to only Mahomes and Brees. His Run QBR was a 22.1. Last year his passing was 43.1, this year it's down to 2.4.

Dating back to last season, he has 9 straight regular season games with 251 yards or less. That is the longest streak under 300 since he started his career with 9 straight under 300. So he has never gone 10 straight games without a 300 yard game. Talk about overdue.  His last game with more than 251 was when he had 355 against Detroit last year, however the 2 games before that was 135 and 220. So 1 game in his last 12 with more than 251 yards. Ouch.

The only positive difference is turnovers. He doesn't have a fumble lost yet, and only has 2 INTs in 160 attempts. Daniel has 2 INTs in 60. We just need a guy that gives us 250 passing yards a game, 30 on the ground and gets at least 2 TDs a game with an INT maybe every other game. That's it, right now, he is nowhere near that.

For me, he doesn't have to throw for 400 yards a game, but he definitely needs 250. I don't think that is asking for a lot. 

Trubisky's comment about him trying to be a pass-first QB was telling. Why would Nagy take running away from him? If his natural instinct is to run, let him run. Even on the play he got hurt, if he wasn't forced to stay in the pocket, keep eyes down the field, he could've easily escaped and went immediately up field and slide. Instead he tried to stretch the play to the sideline to find an open receiver and got hurt.

The more I re-watch the games, the more I feel like Nagy and the offensive coaches need more of the blame. I am not completely taking blame away from Trubisky, he has to be better when he has chances to make plays, but those missed plays would be reduced significantly if he was just allowed to play naturally. Also, Nagy has to stick with the run. Give Montgomery at least 20 carries, and if he only gains 60 yards and we lose, then you've made your point about the run not working. Not Cohen or the WRs, Monty needs the carries. 

In the last game, if you only watch Mitch's feet, it will seem like he is on a mini trampoline and then bouncing backwards and throwing off his back foot when pressure is coming. To me they are completely messing with his internal clock. He is forcing himself to stay in place longer than he normally would. 

The one thing you can tell they are telling him to do is be careful with the ball. Only 2 INTs in 160 passes attempts, which is great. One INT every 80 pass attempts. He also has zero fumbles. Only Wilson and Bridgewater have more passing attempts with 2 or less turnovers. 

Let's get back to basics. Get under center, do some play action, only a single motion to look for coverages and please don't motion defenders to the location you are going to go with the ball when there is a gaping hole there before the motion.

Check out this article:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/should-the-bears-look-for-a-new-quarterback/

Now they only look at 1st round QBs (does that matter?), and cherrypicked QB Rating as the main stat to use. Either way, at this point, even after a bad start to this season, Trubisky is still up there in regards to QB Rating after 31 starts. 

Well, well, well. Guess who is back? Bad Mitch. Right when I was praising him for taking care of the ball, he has 0 TDs, an INT, and a fumble (2 turnovers). Right before his fumble, he missed a wide-open Gabriel on a deep throw. Gabriel was covered by a LB. Talk about a gut punch. I don't know how the team can justify running Mitch out there again. He made one play with his legs, the first of the year, so at this point, without the mobility, how is he better than Daniel?

2 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Play Trubisky the rest of the year. If he doesn't improve, then move on. 

Peace

Problem is, he’s regressing.  Yes there were spurts of good play today but not one TD and two turnovers.  It’s like the old adage of ‘insanity is defined by repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting a different result’.   Time for the team to unhitch they wagon from Trubisky.  See what someone else can do and maybe that will wake him up. 

8 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Problem is, he’s regressing.  Yes there were spurts of good play today but not one TD and two turnovers.  It’s like the old adage of ‘insanity is defined by repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting a different result’.   Time for the team to unhitch they wagon from Trubisky.  See what someone else can do and maybe that will wake him up. 

Once you bench him, your signaling it's over for him as our QB. We are not making the playoffs this year so you might as well give him the rest of the season to see if he can turn it around. 

Peace