Trevathan

Alaskan Grizzly

Danny Trevathan has become my favorite players on the team, alongside Mack and  Hicks of course.  His silent leadership quality paired with his overall being a good man and player gives me confidence if anyone is going to will this team to do better it’s going to be because of someone like Trevathan.  In my opinion, he should be a ‘Bear for life’.

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/player-profile-danny-trevathan-x2579

A year ago, I saw Smith as the up and coming heir apparent who would make Trevathan and his salary expendable. I figured a young fast but raw ILB would be paired with Smith and that would be our future.

Boy have I changed my mind.

It would be easy to try to make this case on Smith's failings, but in truth, I think there is every chance Smith will still end up being who I hope he will be. I am concerned about him, but this isn't the argument I'm going to make.

On his own merit, Trevathan is awesome. He's playing smart and tough. He's a real team leader.

So yes, on paper, judged only by his age and cap number, you might think about replacing him. I think that was part of the idea with drafting Smith in the first round. But Travathan is a winner, and if we can keep him, we should. He's the kind of player and person that you try to keep in the core of your team. I'm a huge fan of the player and the man.