So you're saying there's a chance

adam

Here is a list of NFL QB's drafted from 2015-2019 and the number of games with 20 or more passing attempts (College/NFL):

Mariota: 39/55=94
Winston: 25/59=84

Prescott: 32/55=87
Goff: 35/50=85
Wentz: 18/48=66
Brissett: 24/23=47

Watson: 30/32=62
Mahomes: 29/25=54
Trubisky: 14/29=43

Mayfield: 44/21=65
Jackson: 34/14=48
Rosen: 29/15=44
Darnold: 24/17=41
Allen: 19/15=34

Jones: 33/6=39
Murray: 15/8=23
Minshew: 24/8=32
Haskins: 15/0=15

Of the 18 QBs listed from 2015-2019, Trubisky has the least amount of games in college with 20 or more passing attempts.

Counting college and NFL games, Trubisky is more in line with the 2018 class in terms of in-game experience throwing the football (20+ passes). If Trubisky was in the 2018 draft, he would be 4th behind Rosen and ahead of Darnold. Watching his play this season, he is more in line with the play of Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold, and Allen than Watson and Mahomes. Coincidence or not?

Even in the 2019 draft, a guy like Daniel Jones only has 4 fewer games played than Trubisky with 20 or more passing attempts in college and the pros.

I am now at the point where I feel like I know what we have at QB. However, are we giving him enough time? I feel like he has had every excuse under the sun to perform and we have yet to see any incremental improvements. I can't tell you anything he is doing better now compared to his rookie year. That scares me. 

There are books and studies out there about "mastering" skills, like playing an instrument. Outside of otherworldly talents like Mahomes, do guys like Trubisky just need more time? I think so, but I don't think that will be with the Bears. Unless there is significant improvement this year, I can't see how the team brings him back next season.  

Outside of the 4th quarter in the Eagles playoff game, Trubisky seems like a different QB since his injury last year. There was a clear improvement throughout the season (even documented in the offseason), then we come into this year and he looks like a completely different guy. The team even hid him from the media and league for the preseason. Then he comes out and looks lost for most of the year and the offense looks much better with Daniel under center. Now he gets hurt again and is playing with a brace on his non-throwing shoulder. Another excuse. 

Only time will tell, but I did find it interesting that he was more in line with the draft class after him in terms of passing experience.

1 hour ago, adam said:

I can't tell you anything he is doing better now compared to his rookie year. That scares me. 

Seriously?  Absolutely nothing?  Like his cadence where he drew an offsides penalty last week?   You're nervous when he's under center because he often fumbles the snap?   

He completed 66% of his passes Sunday, under John Fox he only completed 59%.  I'm not saying he's playing well but stating he's the same QB as he was his rookie year, or even the same QB we saw against the Arizona Cardinals last year (when he was completely lost against blitzes) is not correct.  He's averaging a mere 5 yards rushing per game this year, versus 30 ypg last year.  His passing yards per attempt is also way down from 7.4 last year to 5.6 this year so there are some issues to fix.   

Mostly he just needs to get his mind off the media and Bears fans reports and just go play football.  My main concern is his ability to just focus on the game and put the other crap out of his mind.  If he cannot do that he will become a career backup and likely fall into a Ryan Fitzpatrick type of QB (part-time starter/backup).  

I'm no longer a Mitch believer.  Everything he says is great.  He' seems to be a good leader on the team.  But my eyes tell me he's not the guy.  He has yet to win a game.  Not just get the team down the field and put them in field goal position.  He has had more that one shot to win a big game and missed.  So I understand he's the guy for the rest of the season.  But when even your HC won't let you take a shot at winning the game and says he would kneel 1000 out of a 1000.  Says all I need to know. 

19 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Seriously?  Absolutely nothing?  Like his cadence where he drew an offsides penalty last week?   You're nervous when he's under center because he often fumbles the snap?   

He completed 66% of his passes Sunday, under John Fox he only completed 59%.  I'm not saying he's playing well but stating he's the same QB as he was his rookie year, or even the same QB we saw against the Arizona Cardinals last year (when he was completely lost against blitzes) is not correct.  He's averaging a mere 5 yards rushing per game this year, versus 30 ypg last year.  His passing yards per attempt is also way down from 7.4 last year to 5.6 this year so there are some issues to fix.   

Mostly he just needs to get his mind off the media and Bears fans reports and just go play football.  My main concern is his ability to just focus on the game and put the other crap out of his mind.  If he cannot do that he will become a career backup and likely fall into a Ryan Fitzpatrick type of QB (part-time starter/backup).  

If you watch a game at the end of 2017 like the Bengals game and then watch the Chargers game from last week, you would think the Bengals game is from this year and the Chargers game is from his rookie year. There is something wrong with him right now, whether it's the injury or Nagy is making him process too many things at once and it's information overload. 

Nagy needs to strip it down to the basics. Give Mitch two options, not four options, each with a variable that is based on different conditions, pre and post snap. KISS, Keep it simple stupid.

On 11/3/2019 at 8:44 AM, killakrzydav said:

Mitch is terrible at literally everything about QBing.  Watching this early game Jax game reminds me how deficient he is at learning the position. 

Unheralded rookie Minschew is better than Mitch right now half a season into his career.

Yes.  He is a great athlete and can make the throws...he just can't play "QB".  There's more to it.  He can't "general" his team.  And he can't make throws in game.  He makes some, and misses wildly far too often.  Minshew I'm sure will also be exposed.  I'm not sold on him either.  That said, it's time to move on.  I'd rather see Daniel and see if Nagy can actually coach now.  

MT is not a pocket passer. He needs to be rolled out and bootlegs with a high low passing option or just run. He needs to be in a Balti offense that Jackson is in where you limit his passing and use his legs more. What's going to happen is, he will leave and be a backup and a coach will play to his strengths and will be a starter 4 years from now.