Mike Davis Released

adam

So we traded Howard (making $2M) to then sign Davis for $3M a year. However, due to that signing, we lost a 4th round comp pick for the loss of Amos. If we cut Davis by Saturday, the Bears would recoup the 4th rounder and still have the 6th rounder for Howard next April.

If Pace is not a complete idiot (jury is still out), then he has to make this move. 

We could've kept Howard, saved $1M and had a backfield of Howard, Montgomery, and Cohen this year. It's still mind-boggling that the Bears made this move.

Pace now seems like one of those dumb people who think they are the smartest guy in the room. The Bears are 29-43 under Pace and headed for the 4th last place finish in 5 years. Last year was a fluke. More than likely a 8-8 team playing the easiest schedule in football. This year? An 8-8 team playing the toughest schedule in football equals a 6-10 record.

It's crazy the amount of latitude that this guy has received for one winning season. Other GM's have come and gone who have performed better. Why is he not held accountable? For the Mack trade, which now doesn't even look good? He fell into that one. He now looks bad basically on every trade he has completed.

2 hours ago, adam said:

So we traded Howard (making $2M) to then sign Davis for $3M a year. However, due to that signing, we lost a 4th round comp pick for the loss of Amos. If we cut Davis by Saturday, the Bears would recoup the 4th rounder and still have the 6th rounder for Howard next April.

If Pace is not a complete idiot (jury is still out), then he has to make this move. 

We could've kept Howard, saved $1M and had a backfield of Howard, Montgomery, and Cohen this year. It's still mind-boggling that the Bears made this move.

Pace now seems like one of those dumb people who think they are the smartest guy in the room. The Bears are 29-43 under Pace and headed for the 4th last place finish in 5 years. Last year was a fluke. More than likely a 8-8 team playing the easiest schedule in football. This year? An 8-8 team playing the toughest schedule in football equals a 6-10 record.

It's crazy the amount of latitude that this guy has received for one winning season. Other GM's have come and gone who have performed better. Why is he not held accountable? For the Mack trade, which now doesn't even look good? He fell into that one. He now looks bad basically on every trade he has completed.

I thought it was a 6th round pick that could be a 5th for Howard.  Does anyone have the details?

Peace

1 hour ago, Connorbear said:

I thought it was a 6th round pick that could be a 5th for Howard.  Does anyone have the details?

Peace

It is a conditional pick, but it's believed that the only way it becomes a 5th is if he makes the Pro Bowl, is a 1,000 yard rusher or has a certain number of carries. He has an outside shot at the yardage if that's all it is.

6 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Y'all are good GMs.  Thanks for working this issue.  

Now do we finally get to see the Ryan Nall experiment take flight?  If the standard is 2 special teams play a week I think we'll be alright.  

I have been hearing it would be Kerrith Whyte, if they brought up another RB. I would like to see Nall too. He can play some FB if needed too.

9 minutes ago, adam said:

I have been hearing it would be Kerrith Whyte, if they brought up another RB. I would like to see Nall too. He can play some FB if needed too.

The thing is we aren't getting anything out of our TEs/h-backs and Nall is actually a decent receiver.  Plus we've been going with a bit more I-formation plays and Nall would give us a dual receiving threat out of the backfield if we choose not to run from that formation.  They might be happy with Holtz in that role.  

FWIW:  The Bears depth chart still lists Cohen as our starter with Montgomery as the 3rd string RB behind Davis.  

I still don't see Whyte as a different player from Patterson and see no reason to have  two players for the same role.  Patterson for sure is the better special teams coverage guy.  

13 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

The thing is we aren't getting anything out of our TEs/h-backs and Nall is actually a decent receiver.  Plus we've been going with a bit more I-formation plays and Nall would give us a dual receiving threat out of the backfield if we choose not to run from that formation.  They might be happy with Holtz in that role.  

FWIW:  The Bears depth chart still lists Cohen as our starter with Montgomery as the 3rd string RB behind Davis.  

I still don't see Whyte as a different player from Patterson and see no reason to have  two players for the same role.  Patterson for sure is the better special teams coverage guy.  

I agree, I would rather have Nall or even someone like Horsted up vs Whyte. Due to injuries/lack of production, they may also go with an extra DLine or LB.

So with the waiving of Davis, the elevation of Nall, the assignment of Long to IR, the moving of Coward in his place and the swapping of positions for Daniels and Whitehair the offense is going to suddenly take off and make an 8-0 run....right?  

The point is....why did it take a four game losing streak to the halfway point of the season to come up with these changes?  Is it enough?  My guess is 'no'.  

They started the year with high expectations, as we did. We are 3-5 so they look for answers. The downfall of this year has many reasons. I think the OL needs to play better for the rest of the O to fall into better performances. Today's game will have a lot of answers for us. I think with Nagy coming in  last year ,he went over the roster and wanted a new RB, so Paces moves of getting rid of Howard and bringing in Davis and DM was based on what Nagy wanted. One thing I heard that contributed to the whole trade deal was Howard was not in shape last year. It took him most of the year to get back in shape. If I was a coach, any player that came in to camp out of shape would not be high on my list to keep. This year Howard has lost a few pounds and went to Philly in shape. The reason Davis has not had any impact is because the O has been so pitiful this year, our starters have not looked well let alone backups.(excluding A-Rob) What sticks out for me as the main reasons for our demise is the OL  and Nagy being stubborn to not change to adapt to our team this year, instead he has been stuck with what was successful last year and didnt adjust. He is now doing that with using the running game more . He needs to start using MT better to take advantages of his legs. Roll outs, moving the pocket and being under center. The next 3 games will go along way it telling us if last year was an anomaly or was what we have to look forward to going forward. 

Pace has some good moves and bad moves, that hasnt changed because we are 3-5, for me its just about being a winning team and he brought us that last year. For me to build my trust back into having a good feeling going forward is for us to win some games. If we can get to 500, I'll be back on the bandwagon and feel better . It starts today.

One thing to consider. The Bears did not know they would get Montgomery when they signed Davis. Like the Glennon deal, I think the Bears signed Davis as an insurance policy. Then when Montgomery was still available, they made their move and got him. This sort of made Davis a waste, but if one of the RBs they wanted wasn't there, then Davis goes into the season as the lead back. 

Then the offense plays about as bad as it can play and you have a guy that is barely used. It's not like replacing Davis is going to make the team much better at this point. 

The Daniels Whitehair swap should help. Daniels has struggled mightily and this move should've occurred during the bye. 

With all the things that have been bad, the most notable is the good players we have not playing up to par. That goes along way if they get their shit together and play better. All of them except maybe A-Rob needs to step up. We are not as good as we were last year but we are not as bad as we have looked this year so far. The turnaround starts today.(maybe)